1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who wants to make a bet with me that RocketsPimp and Rockets03 have never been to NYC

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rocketman95, Nov 2, 2001.

1. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

2. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Am I allowed to bet?

;)

3. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Rocketman95:

Why bet on a sure thing?? There's no fun in that.

4. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Many people on this board know that I havent been to NY city. I dont love all NY sports. I hate the Mets, the Knicks, the freakin Giants! :mad: But whats your point? Am I not allowed to root for the Yankees just because I havent been to NYC?

5. Manny Ramirez

No, his point is that you and the Pimp are nothing more than bandwagon fans. It's pretty convienient for the 2 of you to start liking the Yankees.

The only people that should like the Yankees are people who live in New York like mc mark or used to live in New York.

R0ckets 03 is your classic bandwagoner. He is smart enough to realize that baseball is f***ed up and that rooting for a team like Kansas City, Minnesota, Montreal, Florida, Tampa Bay, Colorado, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Toronto, Detroit, Seattle, Oakland, Texas, Anaheim, Philadelphia, Milwaukee, Cincinnati, Houston, St. Louis, San Francisco, San Diego, and Arizona would not be "as fun" as being a Yankee fan.

I'm sure the 2 bandwagon boys don't even know who Don Mattingly is. But they are "real Yankees fans."

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yawn !!!

Who cares !!

Root for whomever you want !!

DaDakota

7. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

Manny,
    I always respect your thoughts in your posts, but to say that the only people who should like the Yankees are people in or from NY is bit much. I have 2 favorite baseball teams, the Astros and Yankees and luckily one of them made it to the World Series. I know you were trying to make a point but I think you overstated your point.............Peace

8. Rocket104

Rocket104 Contributing Member

Hey Manny,

That's a bit too simplistic. You can be a fan of a team without any particular allegiance to a city itself. One of my good friends is a Cubs fan, and he never lived in Chicago... it's just that he played baseball as a kid and idolized Ryan Sandberg...

So I'd say there are many things that can make you a fan of a particular team, like childhood memories (what if your dad was a bandwagon fan of a team? A kid wouldn't know any better)...

Hey, I was born in Houston, so I know where you're coming from. I'm definitely an Astros, Rockets, and Oilers fan (though definitely NOT a Titans fan, those bastards)... and once the Texans get here, I'll root for them while they go 1-15 (beating the hated Cowboys on opening night, hehe).

9. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I guess people who have never been to Houston but appreciated the play of Dream and/or are big fans of the Franchise can't be real Rockets fans.

10. Manny Ramirez

Okay, maybe I went a little overboard about the fact that you should only live in New York to like the Yankees.

However, here's my point: how many f***ing championships have the Yankees won? 25? 100? 1,000,000? I could look it up, if I really wanted, too, but it's a lot. I just don't see how it can be any fun to root for a team that has won that many championships. It seems boring to me.

And baseball is a boring sport to watch.

ROCKSS: R0ckets 03 and the Pimp, more 03 than the Pimp, have openly admitted that they are bandwagoners. It's funny how fans like you and mc mark haven't said much or go to the extremes of starting a thread, "Hot DAMN, the Yankees Suck!" like 03 did. Just look at his and the Pimp's posts in the "load of crap II" thread. I think you get the point.

It's easy for anybody to come out when a team is doing good and say that they are fans. Maybe the question to them should have been not if they had ever been to New York, but were they Yankees fans in 1990 or 1992 or did they start after the 1996 season?

11. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Winning creates fans in most cases, especially <i>how</i> a team wins and carries itself. I am a die-hard Astros fan win or lose. The way the Yankees have played and perservered thoughout the last 5 years makes me a fan of theirs. I don't care if they win or lose but I applaud their efforts.

Granted, they have the highest payroll in the majors, but look at their everyday lineup. With the exception of Williams and Jeter, I would take the Astros players at every other position. Wagner and Dotel are comparable to Rivera and Mendoza. The Yankees have more "famous" starters but they aren't that much better than a healthy Astros rotation.

The current Yankees team has an incredible will to win. It's hard not to be a fan. As Rob Neyer points out, the Yankees have played 12 one run playoff games since 1998. In those games they are 12-0. That's amazing.

12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

One more thing. If a player hit a 320 foot world series game winning HR in Enron (as Jeter did in Yankee stadium) would that player be credited with hitting a "cheap" home run? Would the stadium design be blasted for allowing such a thing?

Hopefully, that situation will arise next season and we can see what the announcers and pundits have to say.

13. R0ckets03

Hey all that losing of the Red Sox has gone to your pathetic head! Why are you a fan of the Rockets? As far as I know you do not live in Houston rite? This board has many fans of the Rockets living in different cities and I guess Clutch better start banning them because they are not "allowed" to be Rocket fans. Stop your constantly whinning. Grow up man. When the hell did I say nothing is wrong with baseball? I have always admitted that baseball needs revenue sharing or at the least some kind of a soft cap.

Why the hell would I become a fan of Marlins, Twins or any of those crappy teams living in Houston? I started to follow the Astros a little bit this year and they are my favourite team in the NL.

Yeah I admitted to being a bandwagoner first, but not any more you moron! I started out being a Cowboy fan when they won their second Superbowl. Like someone said on this thread "winning" makes fans. But those fans that abandon their teams during losing times are "bandwagoners". Those that stick around when they are losing are called true fans. And if there is a bigger fan of the Cowboys on this board I would love to see him. THE COWBOYS SUCK AND I STILL LOVE THEM. I will brag about our 2 win season for anyone who wants to hear. The Rockets have been SUCKING for the last couple of years and I am the loudest season ticket holding maniac in the freakin stadium.

So yes I will be hear when the Yankees are a sorry team. Are all you Red Sox fans just as whinny as yourself? Well Nomar aint so I guess it must be you. Yeah I started becoming a fan around in 97, 98. I have been in US since 89 and it does take some time to pick up sports. I picked up basketball and football around in 93 and baseball a little bit later. By no means am I claiming to be the biggest Yankee fan in the world, but give me time and I will get there. I LIVE FOR SPORTS! So dont you ever call me a bandwagoner again.

14. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

I disagree. I find the subtle nuances and the strategy of baseball to be very entertaining.

15. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Rockets03,

bandwagoner.

16. cson

cson Contributing Member

[QUOTE
    No, his point is that you and the Pimp are nothing more than bandwagon fans. It's pretty convienient for the 2 of you to start liking the Yankees.

[/QUOTE]

I think convienience is highly under-rated:D ;) :p :cool:

17. R0ckets03

Thanks. :rolleyes:

18. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I was just hoping to see you get mad again, bandwagoner.

:D

19. R0ckets03

:rolleyes:

LOL :D

20. Manny Ramirez

Hey 03,
    You are something else! You are an idiot if you would really go around and brag to people about the Cowboys 2 win season!

Did you brag about the Cowboys 1 win season in Jimmy Johnson's first year? Oh, that's right, you didn't start liking the Cowboys until they won a Super Bowl under Jimmy Johnson. You were probably a 49er fan back then.

Bandwagoner