1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

who starts, how are the minutes for the bigs distributed when dwight returns?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by fonzie_004, Mar 8, 2015.

1. fonzie_004

fonzie_004 Member

I am so encouraged with what i am seeing from tjones since hes become game fit and healthy again, for his recent lack of energy, D-Mo has had a great season, and josh has also played well off the bench.

Its a luxury knowing these guys can hold the fort while we ease dwight back in, but mchale may have a tough time keeping josh, dmo and terrence happy once dwight returns, as there will be far less minutes to go aroubd.

My personal preference would be to start dwight and tjones, but there should hopefully be plenty of minutes for the other 2 big boys as well.

We will be so versatile, and getting matchups and lineups right will be tough, but i am damn excited because we dinally have big man depth and talent in bunches.

2. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

My hope is that Dwight plays no more than 30 minutes and the rest of the 66 minutes are distributed between the rest dependent on who is playing better.

3. fonzie_004

fonzie_004 Member

Have to agree, im happy for 20-25 of dwight early on, ease him back in and even for the 1st round 30mpg is plenty depending on who we are playing against

4. Bezzle

Bezzle Member

My thoughts exactly. I'm sure most are okay taking minutes from DMo since his Captain Hook hand hasn't been too sharp recently. Also, the presuming boost in rebounding would be beneficial.

5. fonzie_004

fonzie_004 Member

If dwight can understand and mchale will acknowledege we just need dwight to run pnr with james and protect the cup ratjer than 10 post touhes a quarter the sky is the limit for this team. I really hope dwight takes one for the team because the way the offense has inproved with dwight out provws his rim protection not his post touches could give us a playoff run

6. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

I think DMO is better suited next to Dwight and TJones is better suited next to SMith

1, WHen Dwight and Jones play together alot of times they both go for that weakside block and leave a big downlow open/or the lane open-- it was frustrating to see

2. DMO next to Dwight means DMO is posting up the opponents 2nd best defensive big instead of their best defensive big (since that guy will be concentrated on Dwight) which means he will even be more efficient in the low block then he already is

3. TJONES is more of a 'downhill' player which bodes so well with that 2nd unit since that is exactly what they are built to do with the likes of brewer, smith and the bunch-- it is the epitome of downhill basketball

4. Our first unit plays (especially with Dwight) a slightly slower pace than the second unit (which is blazing fast).. you don't want DMO in with the 2nd unit slowing their style down with post ups-- it could drag them out of their rythm.. he fits with that first unit speed...

5. DMO next to Dwight means DMO doesn't have to play that defensive anchor role he isnt comfortable with. His style of defense bodes better guarding the 4 next to Dwight

and i could go on and on

I think TJones is worthy of starting over DMO but DMO in the first unit next to Dwight is a better recipe for success than TJones-- TJones with that 2nd unit is a better recipe for success than DMO. This isnt 1 on 1 basketball.. this is who compliments the system the best and DMO compliments the first unit better and TJones compliments the 2nd unit better

#6 Realjad, Mar 8, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
    5 people like this.
  7. fonzie_004

fonzie_004 Member

All very good and valid points, agree in parts with a lot of them, but not all - but thats the good thing about productive discussion. I think defensively jones has inproved so much that him and dwight would be such a force together.. i just hope we dont see lemarcus aldridge again for 7 games

8. cheke64

cheke64 Member

The minutes are distributed by a shiny gold goin thats flipped before the game

9. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

IMO, Jones will start when Dwight comes back. Having said that I think DMo and Jones should rarely see the floor at the same time and I think Dwight and Smith should rarely see the floor at the same time. Play DMo with either Smith or Dwight interchangeably however you want during the games, same with Jones and vice versa.

I think both Dwight and Smith do the things on Defense that kind of cover up Jones and DMo's weaknesses on defense. Offensively speaking, DMo is the best guy on the Team at creating his own offense after he catches the ball in the post. Because of that I think I prefer him with the second unit.

10. Beardaholic13

Beardaholic13 Member

I would def start T jones, just for the fact that D-mo will essentially be the backup C when dwight returns. D-Mo still fouls too much and doesn't position himself well enough for Def rebounds, but he's still the backup C because he's better suited for that roll then both Smith and Jones.

Get dwight up to speed slowly because we have that luxury and try to see which combinations work best as we gear towards the playoffs.

Iam pretty sure we r the worst team in the NBA when taking adv of subs (match ups), it thats hard to fathom considering we have one of if not the most versatile lineup (from 1-9) in the NBA!

11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I assume minutes depend on matchups and the hot hand.

Probably DMo still starts to help space the floor.

12. Nook

Nook Member

Personally I try to keep Howard to an average of 20 minutes a game during the regular season and maybe a bump to 25 minutes in the playoffs. I baby his knee until next season and even next season I try to limit him to 30 minutes. You really want to optimize his long term effectiveness and impact in the playoffs. There is no reason that DMO and Dorsey cannot cover the other 28 minutes at the 5 spot.

13. hakeemthagreat

The problem with starting DMo is he's our only option at backup center besides Dorsey. If Dwight gets in foul trouble, it forces Mchale to play DMo, Dorsey or Smith at center. All of these guys are undersized at center. Why hasn't Morey brought in a legit bigman yet? We need another 6'll-7fter on this team more than any western conference team

14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I hope Dwight pulls a Smith and decides to come off the bench.

15. cruwinas_lawona

This season DMo played in all 63 games and started in 54. T Jones however played in 20 and started in 12.
    I agree with almost all posters above - it's a luxury to have making choices like that. DMo is a big dude with thick lithuanian bones. I don't remember him injuring himself much. This season he had to adjust startin with D12, Dorsey, TJones. I think guy needs to keep starting for his development. Last game he had some nice assists, tried couple more nice (alley oop to TJones), and messed up couple times. DMo is developing and has shown to be a good basketball student. Reads game well, unselfish, full of tricks. We know who others two are. I would like Dmo to start - if he messes around. J Smoothie and TJones are more than capable to fill in for him. Heck, even Dorsey is useful with his brute force.
    DMo now is picking some ticky-tacky fouls. I think he can fix that. His free throw shot (technique) is improving. So, let's ride the guy. If struggles - can play 15-20 minutes, no big deal. And having three pretty different PFs - big advantage match ups concern. Conclusion - it's all good :)

16. rocketsmetalspd

That would be good once he gets back on the court. Do not rush him to play big minutes right away.

17. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Dwight's there for defense mostly. I don't understand why you would want him off the bench as a spark on defense. He's an anchor on defense that you play off of.

18. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

And have DMo continue to play out of position?

19. meadowlark

meadowlark Member

That's crazy. He should start and play significant minutes when healthy. We need his rebounding and anchor defense...especially in the playoffs.

The way its going lately, TJones should get the starting nod at PF over DMo...but it will probably depend on match-ups. Our frontcourt with a healthy D12 is as deep as any in the NBA.

Big game for TJones coming up next week against LMA. Also, big game, of course, for the team.

20. RESINator

RESINator Member

Nah. He needs to stop acting like he's the number one scoring option out there. Makes you cringe with the post-moves he tries to pull off everytime hes down low.