1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who Should Coach Team USA From 2010 to 2012?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by A_3PO, Aug 26, 2008.

?

Who should be the next Team USA coach?

1. Nate McMillan

6 vote(s)
    8.6%
  2. Mike D'Antoni

9 vote(s)
    12.9%
  3. Greg Popovich

14 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. Phil Jackson

7 vote(s)
    10.0%
  5. Pat Riley

3 vote(s)
    4.3%
  6. Another NBA Coach

16 vote(s)
    22.9%
  7. Another College Coach

15 vote(s)
    21.4%
  1. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Coach K won't be returning. There are a couple of guys on his staff that might consider taking up the mantle: Nate McMillan and Mike D'Antoni. Other guys to consider would be Pop, Riles, PJ or another college coach like Billy Donovan, etc.

What are your thoughts? Please try to keep the thread on topic. Thanks.

2. Lima Time

Lima Time Rookie

I think the coach should be someone with international ball experience (even with the FIBA rules changing to become more NBA oriented).

I'd go with D'Antoni not only because of his experience, but this team needs to RUN.

3. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I think it should be a permanent SNT coach (maybe even let them work w/the U21 and junior teams to keep him busy).

Sorry Apostolic 3 but I don't like your choices all that much - some new ones:

This will draw tons of comments from trolls and jerky boys, but Jeff Van Gundy is probably the best coach not currently coaching out there.

Other college coaches I think are too used to being the center of attention w/Coach K being one of the exceptions that proved the rule. John Thompson might be too old, but I kind of liked the job he did in 1988 despite the fact that they lost, he created a defensive monster team.

Doug Collins I think would be a nice sentimental choice due to 1976.

Rick Pitino has a job already, but I think he'd be a good choice - even though Kevin McHale and Larry Bird and Robert Parish ain't walking through that door - instead Dwight Howard and Greg Oden and Kevin Durant would be so it would be kind of ok....

5. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

In all seriousness, hopefully by the time 2010 rolls around Adelman will have a championship (or two :) ) underneath his belt and he'll be worthy of consideration.

He wouldn't bring the defensive identity you might be searching for but his offensive sets & plays with somebody like Dwight Howard being the worst player on the floor is a pretty scary thought.

6. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I'm not being a homer, but when Rudy T won a bronze with d-league players in 98, that's a amazing feat. I would offer him the job, he would have instant respect as a coach and a players, plus he's a players coach.

7. eric281

eric281 Member

Jeff Van Gundy.

8. DaronMalakian

DaronMalakian Member

Van Gundy would be the best in order to make a possible change of philosophy (which in my view would be beneficial for the team).

The thing would be to "normalize" the team and their customs game into something more similar to the rest of teams.

Nothing of aggressive pressure over passing lines without 2nd helps, like childrens basketball, but a static serious defense, seamless, taking advantage of the physical superiority of your players yet without risking too much on the steals and passing lines. More defensive discipline.

Offensively, to introduce some movements, playing inside game; all based on a new roster selection with fewer stars and more role players; hierarchical division of roles, etc. We know USA team coaches don't decide the entire roster selection, but still would be possible to make that type of team.

You think that would would work well?

Apologies for the english.

9. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

jeff van gundy , the us team has enough offense

10. OrangeRowdy95

OrangeRowdy95 Contributing Member

Craig Robinson of Oregon State

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

And he was the last guy to win the gold before 08. He has free time. Its a lower stress/strain type job. He can manage big names, he can inspire no names (like you mentioned with the bronze). He can scout opponents very well. He had a knack for finding CBA talent. He has no other significant basketball obligations. Rudy seriously is the guy for the job. Someone just needs to remind the world he is still alive.

12. OrangeRowdy95

OrangeRowdy95 Contributing Member

True. Rudy should be the guy.

But Obama's brother-in-law as coach would make a strong political point. The guy can coach too. It's only a matter of time until he's head coach of an NBA team.

13. Mac#5

Mac#5 Member

14. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

15. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

greg pimplepopplevich

16. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

At the moment, Pop would be my first choice too. Two summers from now, the Spurs might be on a downswing with TD and Manu being older (34 & 33) and Pop might consider sacrificing 3 summers to Team USA if his team isn't playing into June every year. He might view it as a final act to a great coaching career.

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

18. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

RUDY! RUDY! RUDY!

19. adoo

adoo Member

hell no, the pressure will drive him to hit the bottle again.

20. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Rudy T.

Rudy is too good of a coach to sit around and coaching Team USA is a part time job. He can also handle the ego's better than anyone in the business.