1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who should be the Rockets' GM after CD?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Panda, Aug 19, 2002.

1. Panda

Panda Member

New General Manager for the Rockets?

Since most of the threads here are about players and the coaching staff, I wonder what's others take on the Rocket's GM, also, who'd be an ideal GM once CD retires.

I like Carrol Dawson very much. He's one of the best in the league. He's excellent in enticing new players to Houston. That's how we got Anderson and MoT. He and Rudy have done marvelous work in the last two years drafts. The Rockets are so lucky, and deservedly so under the work of CB and RT, to net three starter prospects or likely stars in Griffin, Yao and Nachbar in just two years. Such wonder can be only fully appreciated with respect to teams like the Cavs and GSW, which get lottery picks every year but remain cannon fodders. Although CD and RT have had their fair share of blunders, they remain as one of the best front offices in my book.

Hypothetically, if CD retires today I'd like to have Jerry West as the new Rocket's GM, on the condition of no use of pens during his terms, so there'd no more undertable deals written on paper. ;)

Just don't give me MJ, the guy is maybe one of the worst GMs in the league. MJ has an athleticism complex in which he thinks every athletic freak can develope skills later on like he did. Get him as a playa!

#1 Panda, Aug 19, 2002
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2002
  2. Panda

Panda Member

How come I couldn't edit the thread title? I realized that the title might be a lil misleading to others.

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

No kidding panda. That title about scared the hell outta me... I'd be sad if CD weren't the GM. I couldn't care less if we go 0-82 with him as GM - he's a class act and I'd hate to see the guy leave.

... yes, I'm one of those kinda fans

4. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I don't want to see CD retire in the next several years but if he did I would like the next GM to be Rudy T.

5. Panda

Panda Member

Sorry DoD and to others that might be startled by the title.

Oh well judging from the views and responses ratio, I guess I'm in the endangered species of "real NBA gurus" interested in GMs here. :D

Da*n my computer just hanged for few seconds which scared the hell out of me as I was in the middle of downloading that monster Yaominghighlights file from DoD's website. Whew... thank god it's back to normal. I guess what goes around really comes around!!!

6. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

People may think I'm crazy, but I would like to see Rudy move up to gm and Murphy coach the team. I think murphy's energy and knowledge of hoops would be a welcome addition to the Rockets. CD has has his foul ups as well as every gm including jerry west.

7. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Rudy T upstairs to GM.
    Mr Mean head coach.
    Please no Calvin.

8. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

panda -- I fixed the thread title for you. Let me know if it doesn't say what you meant to say.

9. off_welfare

off_welfare Member

How about our mascot clutch??:confused:

10. Panda

Panda Member

Thanks Will. I like the new thread title.

I don't mind to give Murphy a try as the head coach, only that he won't be taken seriously by the refs in those pimp suits, and maybe players like Cato and KT'll go on a strike since it'll be mandatory to shoot that middle range stop'n'pop jumper every time down the court. I bet if it's allowed Murphy would patent that shot. Rudy can be the GM no prob.

11. Sane

Sane Member

I don't know about Rudy T. Sometimes he gets too carried away with certain ideas.

I'd like to see Hakeem become an assistant, then coach later on though.

12. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

I think Refman would be a great GM. :D

If we can't work out a deal with Refman then I think Rudy T would be a great GM.

13. Stevie Francis

yeah these past couple of year we have been right on...exception to adding cato and rice.

14. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

Del Harris or Jim Lyman would be a good GM - or Rudy T if he is interested....

15. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Rudy has already stated he doesn't want to have an office job. Said he doesn't like that "being on the phone all day" thing. He might change his mind; but would he be any good at it?

It's tough to imagine anyone other than CD at the helm. Evaluating potential GMs is not one of my hobbies. It'd be good to get a "name" with a brain. If Jerry West can go to Memphis, I suppose we could grab somebody good.

16. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

A lot of people around here think they could be GM of the Rockets

17. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

my vote is for rudy to take over.

18. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I resemble that remark. :D

19. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Do you mean MJ or Wes Unseld? I think they did some good things like buying out Mitch Richmond's and Rod Strickland's contract, and trading Juwon Howard. But, now they've got the ugliest roster in the league:

PG: Whitney, Lue, Dixon, Hughes
    SG: Hamilton, Jordan, Davis
    SF: Jefferies, Simmons,
    PF: Laettner, Jones, Brown, Thomas
    C: Haywood, White

Look at the point guard position! What the hell is that. Apparently MJ and Wes Unseld prefer quantity over quality. And I still am absolutely miffed about they were trying to achieve by trading Courtney Alexander for Juan Dixon. Gee, I wonder if it had anything to do with bringing the "hometown" hero home in the hope to sell a few more jerseys. I don't think "bruiser" big men should be GMs.

Anyways, as for the Rockets I actually think Kenny Smith would be a good GM. I have to admit his indifference to foreign players is kind of discouraging, but he's a Rocket and he definitely loves to analyze basketball talent. I think I'd give him a shot.

20. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

El Grande Queso or whatever his name is.