1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who should be the next head coach for the Texans?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Raven, Oct 13, 2013.

1. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

I would like the team to hire a new GM and let him choose the coaching staff. I would rather not have a retread as head coach. I read good things about Dave Troub, the special teams guru of the Chiefs and formally the Bears when their special teams were awesome. Dave Zimmer, the defensive coordinator of the Bengals, is another attractive candidate to me. If we want to focus on offense, Pete Carmichael, the offensive coordinator of the Saints, or the 49'ers coordinator (and former Texans QB coach), Greg Roman.

#281 BMoney, Nov 24, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
  2. Mashing

Mashing Member

I think you have to be looking at the college ranks (Shaw) or coordinators in the NFL. I want no part of the coaches that are going to be fired this year.

3. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Just curious. While watching MNF Gruden keeps talking about changing HCs in Washington.

Now if Shanahan were to be let go would you guys be opposed to bringing him to Houston?

He would essentially keep the same scheme in place yet bring his more original ideas to bring life to our blander version of his.

RGIII is struggling but he does seem to develop QBs well; Elway, Cutler, Griffin III.

Plus I know a few people really expressed remorse for letting son Kyle go so easily.

4. mick fry

mick fry Member

RGIII has regressed under ShanI but i wouldnt be opposed to bringing in ShanII as off co.

5. J Hard

J Hard Member

HELL NO.

Newe blood, I'm tired of these tired recycled coaches getting chance after chance to fail. He was only good because of Terrell Davis and Elway, hasn't done anything since.

No thank you.

6. Summer Song Giver

This x 1000. I only say that because of Rick Smith's spotty at best draft record and terrible cap management.

Who are the great up and coming GMs in waiting?

7. Cow Pattie

Cow Pattie Member

Jerry Glanville....:eek:

8. Sammo0

Sammo0 Member

9. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

10. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

I'm on the fence with Gruden. I can't think of one young player who he developed while he was at Oakland or Tampa Bay. His one Superbowl win was with a team he inherited from who I'd really like: Tony Dungy. A great man, a great leader, and a helluva defensive minded coach.

11. Raven

Raven Member

12. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

13. Raven

Raven Member

I've said it before, one way a candidate might slither into McNair's heart is by telling him that Schaub can be saved or that Keenum deserves another season.

/shudder

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Its doubtful... and even if another Carr situation happens, that mistake got rectified after just one season.

The ONLY compelling reason to try to develop Keenum is that he would be paid peanuts for potential starting QB production.... but as we're seeing diminishing returns with the more he plays, its still clear that this team doesn't have its future long-term QB on its roster right now.

15. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Try giving Case an offensive line and a coach that will open it up.

That said, you have another quality guy ready..ergo via the draft 23 - 38 or a young/capable vet .

Worst case scenario Case becomes a very nice longterm #2.

#296 Plowman, Nov 30, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2013
  16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Blitzes can still get through even an "elite" offensive line. "Opening it up" actually invariably always weakens your o-line.

The key is can Case hit receivers in the face of pressure. He has missed routes/receivers/reads thus far that would have nullified a lot of the blitzes... but he has been unable to figure it out. The last game against Jacksonville was horrible across the board.... missed receivers everywhere, spotty throws to the wide open ones... simply looked like a young QB starting to get rattled by the amount he needs to process every single play.

17. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree with you, Nick. It's important to be able to read defenses/blitzes.

But he's really still a rookie....The game will slow down for him.

And, why not take advantage of what Case does best...rather than try to put a square peg in a round hole. In spite of the knee injury, Case is mobile, has the ability to get out of the pocket, and make plays.

18. Remii

Remii Member

Yea... He's never developed a young QB but he did turn a couple of old frogs into princes. And despite how good Tony was he couldn't get over the hump with Tampa.

And also, I don't think he's really had a chance to develop a young QB (with talent) so can't really say he couldn't do it.

19. body slam

body slam Member