1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who Should Be the Next HC?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Nov 6, 2017.

1. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

I’m with you bro but why you yelling at us?

2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Ever been to an NFL game? I try NEVER to go, but that is ALL IT IS. YELLING and FIGHTING in the stands. It's TERRIBLE. But when in ROME.

vinsensual and red5rocket like this.
  3. texian

texian Member

You assuming there's a line of quality NFL Head Coaches you can just plug in there capable of making Watson shine, especially with subpar players around him.

Experience tells you the majority of those guys don't live up to what they were sold to be. There's maybe 8 properly managed organizations, and the rest just shuffle in new poo and shovel out that old poo on a rotating basis.

Naive take. New HC equals new everything, another teardown rebuild, old players out and all new players to fit what the new coaches want on both sides of the ball.

You don't understand NFL offensive schemes if you think they're running Clemson's little playbook. There's a huge difference between college/pros. The Chiefs aren't running Clemson anymore than we or any other team. You can't run the same dressed up 20 plays every week and just out-athlete the opposition in the NFL like you can in college. If you think Dabo Swinney can win with that in the NFL, you might want to check Nick Saban's and The Old Ball Coach's records there.

But hey, maybe we will hire Swinney. That'll give the GM 3 more years to blame somebody else for the bad rosters he has authored. Then wash/rinse/repeat. Again.

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

BULLSHIT.

It's not Bob's offense making Watson look good. HE LOOKED GOOD IN COLLEGE.

Look at BOB with out Watson, now look at Watson without BOB.

It's simple.

juanm34 likes this.
  5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Nah, young QB's are delicate birds. You cant assume Watson would jive in any offense or with any coach. Countless talented QB's have suffered from having to live through a revolving door at Offensive Coordinator. Watson knows the playbook, he excels with it, let's leave it alone.

Also, I think you know this, but still, to say something like "HE LOOKED GOOD IN COLLEGE" is one of the most meaningless factors in playing NFL QB at a high level. Johnn Manziel looked good in college. Teddy Bridgewater looked good in college. Matt Leinart looked good in college. Etc, etc, etc...

Meanwhile guys like Alex Smith look like trash when they're not in the RIGHT system.

6. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

A lot of QB's look good in college, most don't transition to the NFL. Maybe the next HC you bring in to replace BOB has awful chemistry with Watson. You never know.

I want to see another year of BOB and Watson together to see if they can continue running the #1 ranked offense in the league like they did through half this season.

7. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

You're also assuming that BoB is the only one capable of getting what he did out of Watson. Never said there's a line of coaches capable for the job and have said multiple times that I can't argue if the BoB/Watson relationship is the deciding factor in keeping him, but I'm also not going to say he's the only one that could've done it.

For discussion purposes, who would you consider the 8 properly managed organizations? Maybe you have the Cardinals, Cowboys or Falcons who are on their 4th HC since 2002, maybe the Broncos or Chiefs who are currently on their 5th? We certainly aren't the Patriots but we're not the Browns, Bills or Jets either IMO.

There wasn't a much of a teardown rebuild with Kubiak and certainly wasn't one with BoB. Yes a new coach will want to bring guys they want but it's not like some fire sale where guys are being traded or cut left and right. Kinda funny you admit that Watson has subpar players around him yet seem to be worried about getting rid of them at the same time.

Unless you think a new coach is going to come in and trade core guys like Watson, Hopkins, Fuller, Martin, Clowney, Watt, Mercilus, McKinney, Reader, etc...don't really see how bringing in new players is considered a bad thing.

tmacfor35 said:

"Watson playing at an elite level had a lot to do with BoB calling plays that Clemson ran."

Obviously he's not running Clemson's exact playbook and he deserves credit for pulling plays and incorporating schemes from it. But he is certainly not the first and won't be the last to have done that. But that was really in response to saying that that we shouldn't change the scheme when that is the exact thing we are crediting BoB for. He adjusted it for Watson, no reason to think a new hire wouldn't do the same.

BTW I'm not advocating for BoB to be fired at all. I'm fine with keeping him in light of what he did with Watson. But there are certainly other aspects of coaching that leaves a lot to be desired IMO.

8. joeson332

joeson332 Member

unfortunately

9. Buck Turgidson

You are seriously underestimating Chuck Noll.