1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who Should Be the Next HC?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

So Watson can only dominate in OBrien's scheme?

REEKO_HTOWN, Nook and J.R. like this.
  2. Fantasma Negro

O'Brien will get a four year extension

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Kevin Sumlin, he's for sure going to be fired at A&M and he checks the right box for a certain portion of the fanbase.

4. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

No, that isn't what I am saying. I am saying you shouldn't change schemes so soon, because that can cause a regression which can lead to who knows what.

I am surprised you are so boldly on the Watson bandwagon now. Wasn't it earlier in the season where you were clamoring how big a scrub he was or am I mixing you up with someone?

mario_v likes this.
  5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Nope I was wrong. When are you gonna admit you're wrong about a coach who doesn't know when to call timeouts?

juanm34 likes this.
  6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

To be fair... would anybody??

I'm not in love with B'Ob, but I think he's learned on the job by this point... in the same way Kubiak kind of learned on the job and in his second stint in Denver, when given talent, got that ring. Except I think B'Ob is actually a better coach, albeit how much tbd.

But when I consider that with Watson and B'Ob unleashing his offense they were scoring at unprecendented week after week levels... well, YES, I want to see MORE of that.

The bigger questions are obviously, OUTSIDE OF WATSON, what other personnel changes were made in the offseason that were obviously positive. Sure, some hits here and there, but it shouldn't surprise anyone even before injury defense was worse, line was still bad, etc.

7. tmacfor35

This is more likely than getting fired at current state. You can't pin the defense on O'brien at this point. The Texans would likely have been 6-2 at this point had the defense been capable of defending the pass.

No Worries likes this.
  8. tmacfor35

Did we not get off 4 plays in the end zone? Did Tom Savage not take his sweet time to get the play call on the field?b****ing to b**** is the American norm these days.

mario_v likes this.
  9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

or you could say that this is what every season would have been like if not for RAC's defense being one of the league's best up until this season.

Nook and J.R. like this.
  10. tmacfor35

You could. Offense is more reliant on one position. If BoB's offense had looked like this with Deshaun then chances are he would be gone after this season. Not the case anymore.

11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Anybody but Bill. I really don't care, but his suckiness is settled science at this point.

juanm34 and J.R. like this.
  12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah but that would be crediting BOB for what Watson was doing, and I don't think that's the case. I think Watson was playing at an elite level and in many cases BOB's play calling held him back rather than helped him. The fact that BOB can't manage even a halfway decent offense without an elite QB is an indictment of his abilities as a coach.

13. Wolverrines

Wolverrines Member

B’oB will be the head coach next year so kinda pointless

14. tmacfor35

He had the number one offense in the league. Results matter.

Watson playing at an elite level had a lot to do with BoB calling plays that Clemson ran. I am glad he isn't so stubborn that he would force Watson to be something he isn't.

He made the playoffs with Brock Osweiler and Brian Hoyer. I don't see more than 3 other coaches capable of doing so.

15. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Him and rick smith are buddy ol pals. But obrien stays maybe sumlin OC.

16. tmacfor35

I would be on board with that. Sumlin is very creative.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Watson did, sure, but let's see where the Texans offense ends up at the end of the season. Think they'll be even in the top 15?

18. tmacfor35

No I don't. Savage can't do what he wants to do with that OL. He also isn't very good.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

But that's my point really. BOB is worthless without Watson and his play calling has arguably cost the team a few games this season already even WITH Watson playing at an elite level.

20. tmacfor35

You are choosing to ignore the glaring correlation between quarterback and offense.

Every coach is going to struggle to score if they can't pass the ball.

Check out scoring offenses in the NFL.

Look at the bottom 10 offenses and I will show you 10 really bad quarterbacks.
    https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/points-per-game

Did you think Deshaun Watson was the best QB in the league when he was the starter?

He wasn't and the offense was by far the best in the league when he was starting.