1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

WHO Report: Delhi is the most polluted (air) city in the world & 13 out of the top 20 are Indian cit

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by hlcc, Dec 4, 2015.

1. hlcc

hlcc Member

http://asiancorrespondent.com/2015/...ties-on-indian-subcontinent-as-most-polluted/

What I find most astounding are:
    1) Even though in terms of power generation & usage, industrial activities, vehicle ownership etc India is a tiny fraction when compared to that of China's, air pollution in Indian cities are significantly worse. How much worse will it get in 20ish years when India catches up to China's 2015 level of power generation, industrial activities, vehicle ownership etc?

2) India plans on significantly increasing coal usage in the coming decades

2. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

I am not surprised at all about cities in the Indian subcontinent being ranked that high in pollution.

Where is the list though? That link you gave doesn't really show anything.

3. hlcc

hlcc Member

4. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

India is a dump

1 person likes this.
  5. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

i have only been to beijeng shang hai and hong kong.

but if there are several cities in india much worse than beijeng. wow

all i can say is bless those poor people.

6. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

A friend of mine had to spend a year in India for business. She did not speak highly of the experience. Basically it's disgusting, overpopulated, and filthy was her description.

7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I never hear anything good about India unless it's coming from someone who has some money and connections in the country.

8. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

don't forget about lack of toilets

9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I've been fortunate to travel to nearly every corner of the world and there are a few more places I really want to see.

However, India is one place I never wanted to visit.

10. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

I've been to Dehli and Mumbai - both are incredibly dirty. The difference between the poor and the working class is astounding there. But at least the government is finally beginning to crack down on things like emissions over the last couple of years.

Crazy thing - most of the poor hindi believe that if they do anything to better their situation in life (get an education, etc) than they will be reincarnated as a lesser being when they die - so they don't try to improve their life and just accept living in poverty.

With that many impoverished people, its going to be very hard to improve the overall (not just air) pollution in the country.

11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

It's mainly due to India having one of the dirtiest electricity grids in the world...due to heavy reliance on coal-burning power plants.

12. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

its not really a lack of toilets as much as a lack of housing in general for the poor. over 1/3 of the countries lives in illegal shelters they've made wherever they could find a space. Because they're handmade, there is no running water for toilets. they illegally run wires to the electric lines so they can have a little electricity..and many people die annually trying to tap in to these lines. No housing means people are peeing and taking craps in the middle of the street. Literally. I saw men peeing in the middle of the street during the day, and little kids pulling their pants down and taking a crap in broad daylight. I walked through several slums in Dehli and it is an eye-opening experience. It really makes you realize just how much of a spoiled, whiney country the U.S. truly has become..and how ungratefully materialistic Americans can be.

13. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

Some of the slums I visited in Dehli - spoilered for size

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Notice all the trash - while the men are at work, the wives dig through trash daily looking for things they can Use, sell for money or recycle - they leave the trash there and it just piles up. Notice the "shelters" around the trash - thats where they live..directly beside the trash.

[​IMG]

A 1-room school run by a church - they have 3 classes a day trying to educated the children so they can make a better life for themselves. Although its open to anyone, The Hindi will often reject the education because its "selfish" and will lead to them being reincarnated as a lesser animal after they die.
    [​IMG]

14. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

But... did you notice how happy these poor people were?

I don't think they see taking a **** on the road as something bad or undignified.

Or living in filth.

They just ignore it by spicing up their food and dancing.

That's why India appeals to hippies and unhygienic types and girls going on yoga retreats. Hey, we just took a **** in our living room. Now it's time to light candles and dance. Doogie Doogie doogoo.

Always suspect people who light incense of trying to cover up foul smells. It's why I dumped an American yoga teacher who tried to move in with me.

15. Nook

Nook Member

India is a toilet.... A terrible place.

Bed bugs
    Crapping on railroad tracks while toilets sit empty.
    Building forts out of trash
    Rampant homosexuality
    Regular rapings
    Caste system

Just a God awful place.... Probably worse than China.

16. Jontro

Jontro Member

So what can WHO and the general first world people do to help?

17. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

My family is from Southern India, and I truly am an advocate for the South (Tamil Nadu, Kerala, Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh) to secede from the rest of the country. The South is a sustainable, powerful region, leading in technology and manufacturing. These states rank the highest in literacy in the country as well. I think with as much corruption there is in the Indian government, it's time for the South to take action.

Oh and did I mention the perpetual racism towards the South that's spanned across centuries?

Let the North learn on its own.

For those who've posted about the lack of quality in this country, I urge you to visit the South. It's completely different; Westernized, but still cultured. Definitely not as grotesque as you see in the media/North.

18. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Contributing Member

I spent two weeks in Bangalore a little while ago. The climate was amazing - it's 65-85 degrees year round. However the traffic was ridiculous and the pollution was pretty bad.

As far as rich and poor go...the bathroom window at Accenture looks out over their massive bus parking lot which is next to a lake which is next to a dump. And yes, there were people living in the dump.

Crazy things about India
    - There are random cows just hanging out on the medians and sides of the road like stay dogs.
    - Cars in traffic fill in every spare nook and cranny. There are no recognized lanes as such on most roads.
    - The terrorist threat is such that every car going into a decent hotel is stopped. They search the hood and trunk, and have a bomb sniffing dog. Then you go through a metal detector to get into the hotel. Man, f terrorists.

19. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Contributing Member

For those who don't know, Bangalore is in Karnataka(the south). I've never been to the North, but I didn't get a sense of danger walking around in the streets of Bangalore. I have run into the racism / tribalism vstexas09 speaks of, but mostly from guys telling me all the good looking women were in the North.

20. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

one time I spent a nice long stint in mumbai for work. In the end came away very mpressed. Not trying to go all bbs contrarian here, I just really enjoyed it. you can tell there is something there to the culture.

I can't put a finger on it except to say a world of thousands and thousands of years civilization vs. our western culture which winds down mainly to the last 2500 years. we are young in that sense.

I saw all kinds of things - animals!everywhere.along with the human animal. many of them. maybe I enjoyed it because I went in expecting it to be just utter sh**t but it wasnt that bad.

it reminded me of the fondest bug outs in mexico city or bangkok. show me a shanty town in india and I will take you to a favela thats stench of being is so rank we are splitting hairs.

plenty of really good things. most amazing sunsets in india overlooking the arabian sea from my hotel balcony. you turn on the tv and see some banging selma hayek look alike-shes wearing an'I dream of jeannie'outifit dancing to an american song you know , but in some totally crazy language. pop a kingfisha and yessa.

if you cant appreciate that..well I have the feels for you.

Im planning to go for vacation at some point hopefully soon. other places before sure but Im telling you. there really are some aspects of india that are so choice. if you have the means I highly recommend it.