1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who plays the last 5 minutes of the game

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BackNthDay, Sep 26, 2018.

1. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

A lot of conversations around who will start, I think it's more important who will finish the game. A lot of talk about Clint, however, I think teams have figured out to double James or Chris when Capela screens and force the Rockets to pass the ball to Clint and have him make decisions. He wasn't that great in the Warriors series requiring the Rockets to bench him during the latest stages.

I could see a lineup of Harden, CP3, Tucker, Carmelo, and Gordon finishing the game or the same except for Carmelo being replaced by Ennis since he's more defensive minded. Other thoughts?

2. apollo33

apollo33 Member

depends on matchups to be honest.

CP, Harden, Gordon for sure. The rest is entirely dependent on who's playing

charlieaustin likes this.
  3. Reeko

Reeko Member

definitely CP3, Harden, Butler, and Tuck

Capela will be in there a lot as well

4. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

last 5 minutes should be all the guys at the end of the bench - since we're gonna be up 25 or 30 with only 5 minutes left...

Red Chocolate and True Rocket like this.
  5. Red Chocolate

Red Chocolate Contributing Member

either Capela or Tuck at the 5 normally then a lot of offensive/defensive subs, expect to see Capela close a lot more vs most teams though, one of Capela/Tuck/Melo/Ennis will have to rest with EGo resting sometimes. It just depends on matchup/game script.

6. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

Against most teams

Cp3
    JH
    E.G.
    PJ
    Clint

Against Golden State

Switch out Clint if needed for Ennis. Gives us offensive and defensive balance with either line up.

CP
    JH
    E.G.
    Ennis/Melo
    Tuck

If Melo buys in defensively and he SHOWS that he can/will defend VS GS switch out Ennis for Melo and that could be our championship lineup. It will really just come down to how well Melo can defend.

My dream scenario is that Clint is playable the last 5 minutes against GS. He is our best defender, it would be nice to see him wreaking havoc defensively and on the boards. If Boogie is in the last 5 minutes, then Clint may have to be.

7. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Cleverly disguised Melo thread.

Melo will be glued to Ryno's former seat on the bench when the games on the line.

13 in 33 likes this.
  8. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

I'm hopeful that Clint improves his decision making, ability to score outside of 5 feet, and make his free throws. If not I would like to see Melo in the last 5 minutes with CP3, Harden, EG, and Tuck. That lineup would be tough to defend and we definitely wouldn't go 0-27 from 3 point range.

Yes, GSW would be tough to stop, however, having Melo guard Green, James on Igoudala, Tucker on Durant, EG on Clay, and CP3 on Curry. This would force Green to become a scorer!

9. splendidchen

splendidchen Member

You forget about the swtich everything scheme both team plays. If Melo is still 80% of his former self, I bet you are going to see a lot of Melo vs Curry 1 on 1 on both ends of the floor (really looking forward to that).

10. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Mcw
    Green
    Ennis
    Qi
    Hartenstein

We will be up 20 ....

BackNthDay likes this.
  11. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Jimmy Butler at the 1-5