1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who likes to play cards?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Pistol Pete, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Fatty FatBastard

Lord knows I do...

2. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Just because I'm up late doesn't mean I'm drunk. I'm always up late and I'm rarely drunk these days. I posted that because you're a racist bore, not for any other reason.

3. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

well, i'm not surprised that captaincodger jumped at the chance to fearmonger, that's the only card he's got. not even sure what obama meant to gain with the comment but he shoulda not gone there.

4. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Obama didn't accuse anyone of being racist. You are just making stuff up now.

Saying "He doesn't look like the other guys on dollar bills" isn't accusing anyone of being racist.

Furthermore Obama is right. He said "they" when he talked about trying to scare voters. While the McCain campaign has not necessarily tried to scare people because Obama's black, others have, including those that try and pretend Obama is some kind of black-panther party like extremist by trying associate him with agreeing with Rev. Wright, and Farrakhan.

So yes other people have tried to use his race, and people's ignorance about it to try and scare voters. TJ has done it on the bbs by falsely accusing Obama of being in favor of slave reparations. So when he says "They" will use race to try and scare voters he is absolutely correct, and there should be no penalty for him calling it like it is.

5. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Were you drinking last night? Yes or no

6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Actually "the race card" works against Obama. Clinton's own advisor said it helped them erase some of his advantage, and McCain's campaign has been itching to find a way to introduce race into the campaign to help bring race front and center.

By bringing Obama's race into the campaign, it may help people feel uncomfortable voting for an African American. It's a sound strategy, and watching it with fascination - I have to admit it seems to be working for McCain.

I think McCain's new advisors are pretty tough. Obama is going to have to go negative if he wants to have any chance of winning. He better hire Karl Rove.

Folks, negative campaigning isn't just hear to stay, but the nastiness and absolute horror of seeing a campaign twist and turn everything an opponent does into the negative using ridiculous logic is not only taking it to a new level - but it's being shown to be very effective.

Obama better learn quick or he will go the way of John Kerry.

7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

why does it matter?

8. Major

Major Member

This should be repeated over and over. Talking about race never helps Obama. So if race becomes an issue in an election, chances are he didn't bring it up.

9. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

so one has to be sober to call someone racist?

10. AB

AB Contributing Member

I am not taking any side on this issue(hope this becomes a non-issue).. but haven't seen the following posted in any thread

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Politics/story?id=5495348&page=1

Obama Aide Concedes 'Dollar Bill' Remark Referred to His Race

Sen. Barack Obama's chief strategist conceded that the Democratic presidential candidate was referring to his race when he said Republicans were trying to scare voters by suggesting Obama "doesn't look like all those other presidents on the dollar bills."

A key strategist for Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., says the candidate's reference to faces on the dollar bill was indeed an acknowledgement of race and its role in the presidential campaign.

The comment had triggered a charge Thursday from Sen. John McCain's campaign manager that Obama had "played the race card... from the bottom of the deck."

Playing the Race Card
    Obama's camp initially denied the remark was a reference to Obama's race.

Obama is poised to become the first black man to be the presidential nominee of a major political party when he claims the Democratic nomination on Aug. 28 -- the 45th anniversary of Martin Luther King, Jr.'s "I Have a Dream" speech.

"He was referring to the fact that he didn't come into the race with the history of others," Obama spokesman Robert Gibbs said Thursday. "It is not about race."

But Obama's chief strategist, David Axelrod, acknowledged on "Good Morning America" Friday that the candidate was referring, at least in part, to his ethnic background.

When pressed to explain the comment, Axelrod told "GMA" it meant, "He's not from central casting when it comes to candidates for president of the United States. He's new to Washington. Yes, he's African-American."

That seemingly obvious reference sparked the first real fireworks between the two camps as backers of both candidates accused the other of trying to subtly inject race into the presidential contest.

11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Well, I think I also already pointed out that I don't think McCain has brought up Obama's race (and I commend him for that). But, as FranchiseBlade already pointed out, Obama wasn't talking about only the McCain campaign proper. There are a lot of groups with spoons in the pot, PACs and the like. And more than a couple of independent but McCain-sympathetc groups have been pushing on race to dissuade voters from voting for Obama. Obama merely observed the fact publicly.

I think it is a little disingenous of McCain to take offense, as if the comment was directed at only him. Obama could have and probably should have been more clear that he wasn't accusing McCain of acting in this manner directly.

Anyway, this whole thing is stupid. Are voters really making their decisions by who has aggrieved whom? Really, all this is is an excuse for partisans to bolster their partisanship. Supporters of each can irrationally hate the opposition a little more for playing the race card.

12. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Well, well, well..... Obama's camp admitted they were lying. LMAO.

13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Obama has no desire to bring up his race as an issue in a country where the majority of people voting are white. But McCain has to be care about playing the race card by accusing Obama of playing the race card - it might turn minorities like hispanic voters even more against him as well as offend others.

Obama's best tact here is to attack McCain as paranoid and delusional for attacking him about playing the race card.

It's also ironic he'd adopt the same language "playing the race card from the bottom of the deck" that the OJ Simpson defense team has use - the exact same words in fact.

So it looks like McCain is adopting the OJ Simpson defense.

14. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

can someone please wake me up when it's time to vote?

15. Pistol Pete

Supporting Member

I've read your posts before, it's obvious you've been asleep for a long time.

16. Pistol Pete

Supporting Member

That might make sense except for the fact that Obama brought race up... LOL Well he lied about it when he was called out about it and then after getting clowned like several of you in this thread had to admit he was talking about race.

17. Pistol Pete

Supporting Member

Obama supporters, it's time to admit you lost this one.

18. Pistol Pete

Supporting Member

And like most Democrats the only card you have is a WIC card.

[​IMG]

19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

If he did bring up race, it was subtle and no one even noticed it until McCain's campaign turned it into that.

I think that's clear for any sane person to see.

20. Pistol Pete

Supporting Member

Can a sane person see his camp lied when confronted about it? Ouch. If your candidate has something to say he should just have the balls to say it and stand behind it.

McCain's camp rightfully called Obama out. Plain and simple.