1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who killed the hangout?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by VanityHalfBlack, Sep 17, 2016.

?

Which Rascals?

1. Vanityhalfblack

22.7%
  2. Jontro

26.7%
  3. What

48.0%
  4. SwolyD

65.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I did make one small change that "may" have fixed it, but I didn't expect it to. If other Contributing Members received alerts (which I believe they did), then it's not likely to have been the problem. Thanks for the heads up... let me know if you run into it again.

2. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

@LCAhmed looks like it, though I'd be better with the return of IPSAC

LCAhmed likes this.
  4. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Hangout gonna make a comeback?

5. Buck Turgidson

Your avatar looks like Jewish Ray Charles

6. TdashDUB

TdashDUB Contributing Member

Well... I have returned, so...

7. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Is Fatty returning?

The comeback kid would make the hangouts great again.

8. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I've been busy.

9. Jontro

Jontro Member

who is this jontro breh and why is he such a jerk?

10. VanityHalfBlack

^Where is your avatar Jontro? Come on, we're all anticipating it, we know it's going to be epic.

RedRedemption and Jontro like this.
  11. TdashDUB

[​IMG]
    ^^^ This is Jontro, crop it and you're blessed #yourewelcome

12. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

I have not felt that Swoly was the nicest of guys. (Random reference mentioning names, neither is "Resident Rockets/90's 'Historian' you know who guy...uh, Tinman)

But then I'm speaking from VERY BAD first impressions that NEVER changed much. The very first times I posted in CF, both of those guys just so happened to offer the CRAPPIEST UNWELCOMING feeling with their "schticks". To be fair there are PLENTY bad apples and oddballs in internet communities, it comes with the terrority. And I really wasnt that good a poster. But it was them acting like its for the "people" and the board was "behind" them, but no one else was even close to doing what they do.

Its been apparent from day 1 to me Swoly / "they" don't care about anything BUT their own self serving troll'ish agendas. Those are the only 2 CF members ever where it felt like walking on "eggshells" (Swoly actually became OK to me, we rarely crossed paths anyway, and he doesn't even know who I am lol. I noticed how he was with T-Dash and others though.)

But that to me is very much the look of a-hole more than being nice. I've wondered if that has turned off other people, but people have spoken out enough about it. I don't think mean, Swoly has good qualities and is a valuable member and can come back more badass than ever.

TdashDUB likes this.
  13. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

some people don't like something someone says and from that day forward they 'throw shade'...an example might be you. I wasnt your biggest fan after you public were sulking when rockets came back 3-1 against clips. Ive accepted now that you are just very negative and overall terrible terrible fan. so I decided to throw shade your way. it was fun for about a second..got boring real fast.. but also (when it came to matters non rockets)found myself agreeing with you mostly.

now I in fact am able to separate your views on rockets and its abject failure in thought completely separate of you
    ,and your thoughts. Ive grown to like you. I mostly agree with you and find your opinion and insight valuable..except for rockets :).. hey no one is perfect right?

I think its fair to say factually tash and swoly have both been annoying a fair bit

14. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

This was actually a pretty funny post, and I agree that there are differences with people's viewpoints that color how you perceive them. With regards to the negativity, I think you may be referring to the cycle of this organization making downward moves and ignoring issues that are obvious to even the most casual fans. Then realizing it 4 yrs later when the outcome was clear from the beginning is infuriating to any fan. Mchale should never have been given an extension. This team played pickup ball with GREAT players for a number of years. The portland series was evidence enough. Heck, there was a thread on Mchale the entire time. I don't even think I can begin to summarize all the stupid moves this organization has made, especially the recent one of hiring a defensively inept coach on a team that is terrible defensively. If you've noticed, I've refrained from commenting on it over the past couple of months because I've realized there is no point. You do however owe me an apology, you have no right to decide who is a good fan and who is a terrible fan. Complaining about things you perceive to be worth bringing up doesn't make you a bad fan. I never sulked after the rockets came back 1-3, it was one of the happiest times I can remember. Like the rest of the forum, I was pretty upset at the clippers schooling us early on and Austin Rivers running circles around Harden, but someone saying they knew the rockets would come back and there was nothing wrong with the first 4 games is clearly a lie. I've disagreed with a lot of people, but I don't remember ever calling someone a terrible fan, and if I did even once I was wrong for it. Nobody on this site is a bad fan, if they are willing to share their thoughts and viewpoints of this team online, post regularly, listen to other people's insight they are all good fans in my book for caring about the team. That's what we all have in common. If it was supposed to be a cheerleading squad with no criticism there wouldn't be the need of a forum to discuss opinions. Saying you agree with me on matters except for the rockets but I'm not expected to be "perfect" shows the flaw in your argument. You are speaking from a premise of your opinions being the "right ones" and anything that deviates from them as being imperfect...come on man. You're more mature than that. Even the ones that we both happen to agree on, and others differ with (D&D for example...there are some BAD ones there) doesn't make those other people "imperfect." They have a right to their own viewpoints.

Anyways, I'll leave that to the GARM, just going to say that it is unfair for you to pass off stuff as unprovoked negativity when it is directed criticism of a team you are heavily emotionally invested in. Regarding your other point I completely agree, I find myself in complete agreement with some posters when it comes to anything outside of the rockets, even though we disagree strongly when it comes to team strategy. If things are kept polite, civil, and in the realm of reasonable discussion nobody should complain. Labels need to be ditched and viewpoints different from our own should be taken into consideration. I am guilty of violating this but am putting forth an effort to stop :)

15. TdashDUB

"Annoying" was never up for debate.

Neither is your poor use of the word "factually".

Swoly wouldn't simply "annoy" me and others, he would harass me and others.
    Annoying can be ignored/brushed under a rug to an extent, but that prick would seek to nosedive any thread or post at anytime with a special penchant for the followers on his hit-list.

Don't ever put me in the same class as that Hitler-Pube

16. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

No, I didn't. :D

17. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

@SwoLy-D , i'm disappointed in your avatar. i for sure thought it would be one of these :);):(:mad::confused::cool::p:D:eek::oops::rolleyes:o_O or maybe all of them

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  18. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

In my heydey, I was always down to feed the trolls. Swoly is not really someone I hate, I have met him in person. I find most of his views archaic and downright simplistic, but I come from a strongly conservative, Christian background so it isn't like I'm not exposed to that kind of thing regularly. Now most of the people I actually know personally on this board have a very strong hatred of Swoly, even people who are generally as laid back as a Rastaman on 4/20 could be thrown into fits of rage just at the site of his username.

Fatty and I had a very on-off kind of pal/enemy thing going on. We hung out a few times. He was always genuine. I enjoy genuine people with no filters, but they can also be extreme assholes without even realizing it. I should know. I thought he went too far with the whole blaming the liberals of the board for the suicide of Landlord Landry. That was the worst thing that happened on this board and it hurt me deeply. Of course Fatty also had extremely simplistic, polarizing views. As much of a jerk as I could be in those days, I could see the hurt behind Fatty's persona. He was always entertaining, but he kept it real 100% and in the end that cost him. I don't particularly hate him for what he said, I just don't feel the need to associate with someone who feels that way.

It was always the personalities that made the Hangout, but it was the special few who had the magic touch when it came to starting threads. Most of the best posters were comment-makers, not thread-starters. Fatty was the king of Sunday Night debauchery threads. But you always had the usual suspects around to fan the flames: MadMax and ima for perpetuating arcane inside jokes, KingCheetah and B-Bob throwing in their own special brand of humor. Then you had guys like EddieWasSnubbed who were just kind of always around for the ride, even if they never got in the biggest zinger. The Hangout was raw personality. Humor in abundance, sensitivity when it mattered. We policed our own. I was raised in it. Molded by it. Many others were too.

The heydey of the Hangout was something special. A place where a bunch of Rockets nerds could come and BS and torment each other over their own eccentricities. The personality of the Hangout is what has shifted. People want practical advice now, instead of romantic advice. These topics just aren't as sexy.

The Hangout may never be what it once was, but most of us are still here, just waiting for a new thread to latch onto, to satisfy that itch that never goes away.

19. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

^ People just let DIFFERENT OPINIONS get to them and take crap too seriously, especially in this anonymous place.

Ha. I'm glad to disappoint you! :D

I'm sure in the future I will change it to please you... just to please you, mister expectations! :p

No, I won't.

20. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Well Swoly, your biggest problem isn't your polarizing takes, it is your condescending demeanor. People may not agree with you, but you have a tendency to trivialize complex issues and reduce things to black and white when there are many shades of grey.

This is why many people cannot stand you. Life may be simple to you, but to others it is complicated. A lot of ins, a lot of outs, a lot of strands in the ol' duders head.