1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who is the NBA's second best center?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by jamalccc, Feb 4, 2003.

Tags:
?

Who is the second best center behind Shaq?

1. Z. Ilgauskas 18.1 ppg 8.0 rpg 1.9 bpg

17 vote(s)
    10.7%
  2. K. Thomas 14.4 ppg 8.6 rpg 1.9 apg

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  3. B. Miller 13.9 ppg 8.5 rpg 2.7 apg

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  4. V. Divac 10.0 ppg 7.1 rpg 3.7 apg

8 vote(s)
    5.0%
  5. Y. Ming 13.0 ppg 8.1 rpg 2.0 bpg

108 vote(s)
    67.9%
  6. B. Wallace 6.5 ppg 14.5 rpg 2.9 bpg

20 vote(s)
    12.6%
  7. M. Olowokandi 12.2 ppg 9.1 rpg 2.2 bpg

4 vote(s)
    2.5%
  1. jamalccc

jamalccc Member

Don't just say Yao Ming because you are a Rockets fan. Give a rational choice and explain.

2. heech

heech Contributing Member

Yao Ming because his stats, if adjusted for the amount of playing time later in the season, are vastly superior to the others on that list.

And beyond stats, his in-game impact is tremendous. I love Ben Wallace as a center too... but he's such a one-dimensional player, even if he is an incredible 1-D player. Detroit will never make the playoffs because of him... whereas the Rockets (or whoever) could potentially make the playoffs on the merits of Yao's more complete game.

3. oldgunrules

oldgunrules Member

4. jamalccc

jamalccc Member

Shaq behind Shaq... OK... Either you or me needs to stop drinking.

5. Ming the Dream

Ming the Dream Contributing Member

I took Ming because of his upside, and because he does so many things well that just don't show up in stats(ie. set a screen, changes alot of shots etc.). I also like Yao as a passer that I don't know if anybody except Vlade comes close to matching. I don't believe you can build a franchise around any of the other guys, but you can Yao. So that's my reasons for picking Ming, but wouldn't fault somebody for taking ZI, or Wallace.

6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

That's hillarious,

I think it's close between Ming and Wallace, but Ming can do so much more. Wallace is a dominant force though who makes his team a great defensive club, but Ming makes everyone better on both sides. KandiMan should be close to Ming but the Clippers are so sorry its hard to give him any credit.

7. yaozhuxi

yaozhuxi Contributing Member

cannot vote because i have to aggree with oldgunrules.

8. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

Wow.. Yao is the favorite. What a suprise. Not that we bbs'ers dont have any bias or anything :D

9. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

As a Rockets/Jazz fan I find this poll a sham.

If this was legitmate poll, Greg Ostertag would be a choice. The fact he's not even listed, shows you how tilted it is towards Rockets fans .

Shame on you Jamaal, your Rockets bias is way too transparent.

10. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Maybe he didnt put Ostertag on there because you would have to be deranged to consider him being the 2nd best center in the league.

That would mean that you actually think Greg Ostertag is maybe the 2nd best center that plays in the world.:rolleyes:

11. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

hah hah~~ good one~

12. Ming the Dream

Ming the Dream Contributing Member

Yeah I thought about Ostertag, NOT!!! Riet how can you be a Jazz fan and a Rocket fan, that is kind of an oxymoron isn't it???:rolleyes:

13. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

For those that voted for Ilgauskas, please dont forget that although his 18 pts seems impressive, he SHOOTS 42% from the field!!!!

On the other hand, our beloved Yao shoots 53% :)

14. paxil

paxil Contributing Member

Kandi's 42.7% fg percentage of 60% foul shooting, yak!

Kandi has probably the most consistent field goal percentage throughout his career. Career average of 43.3% with a standard deviation of 0.04% for his five years journey in NBA.

15. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I put Yao Ming but then I noticed Ben Wallace. It is Ben Wallace. He does more for his team right now than Yao does. He's the anchor in one of the best teams in the NBA.

16. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

i can't believe anyone would think it's close between Yao and Ben Wallace. I really don't believe Ben Wallace could cut it in the west as a center. He's only 6'9! The guy is a power forward who happens to play center. You can even go so far as to say he's the very definition of what a power forward should be! He's just not a legitimate center, plain and simple.

I voted for Yao Ming because with the possible exception of Zydrunas Ilgauskas, he's the only other center in the league that has the ability to dominate on both ends of the floor on any given night.

17. jamalccc

jamalccc Member

Don't know how to handle your sarcasm, but I'll try. :eek:
    Damn you people think I am Rockets/Jazz fan with the same weight. I AM FIRST AND FORMOST A ROCKETS FAN!!! Of course I have Rockets bias, otherwise I would hang out on Jazzhoops, which by the way, has a few hundreds people only.

18. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Plain and simple, Ben Wallace does more for his team right now. And as far as the West beating the East, look at how the Pistons slapped around the Rockets like a red-headed step child. Yes, he should be a power forward, but so what? I think the fact that he does what he does against bigger guys makes him look even better.

As far as Z, he shoots 42% and does not offer much consistency, not offensively, on the boards, or defensively.

19. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

Agreed.. But I dont think he should even be in this poll given that he doesnt play center FULL TIME. They had Rebracca and some other thugs play alot of center in games. This is adding Tim Duncan to the poll as a Center...

20. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

You're missing some notable centers: Robinson, Duncan (I would argue), Mutombo, off the top of my head.