1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who is the most underrated Rocket and why?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LewLLOYD, Dec 23, 2009.

1. wikiwiki

wikiwiki Member

Scola. No question in my mind. He is easily an all-star level post player. He's got moves down low that I haven't seen in a long long time.

He doesn't talk a lot, he just goes out there and plays every night. When the rockets need baskets he makes point, and it's almost funny how quietly he produces. No fanfare, just solid, good damn basketball.

2. wikiwiki

wikiwiki Member

P.S. To add something else to the discussion, if J.T. is capable of playing every night like he played last night, he's also be a contender for this, no?

He hasn't played a single game before tonight, so that's pretty low expectations, but he played well enough to be a regular part of the rotation on most other teams.

3. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

Hayes, Lowry, then Scola

AB and Tooth get all the attention from other teams and the media.

most overrated is Ariza.
    I know ppl have been bashing Battier but he is still solid and consistent with his contributions.

4. northeastfan

northeastfan Member

I'd have to go with Carl Landry. The guy is 4th in the league in points per shot and is top in the league in the category for guys who average ten shots per game.

5. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

IMO the team as a whole has been grossly underrated by the whole league. I don't think you can put that on just one player.

6. Joe Gent

Joe Gent Member

7. McMingDynasty

McMingDynasty Contributing Member

8. Blaze_3

Blaze_3 Member

yao, because hes watching you

9. mi0304

mi0304 Member

most overrated: Brian Cook.

10. Zfan

Zfan Member

I vote Scola.

He should earn much more praise and respect. I have heard enough those "not athletic" and "flopper" and "start Landry" critisms. He's just too much underrated.

11. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Lowry all the way, the dude is a solid to good pg and everytime I hear about trades they mention him as a "throw in" which makes me laugh.

12. Corpusfan

Corpusfan Member

I'm tempted to say Lowry, because he's so good and so under the radar, but the answer has to be Scola. Landry gets all the attention because of his age and ceiling, but Scola puts up outstanding numbers night in and night out and no one seems to notice. He also has all the qualities -- hustle, savvy -- that actually help a team win. Winning is the bottom line, not merely collecting players with height or athleticism or potential. There are those who will always look past Scola's production because of his inability to jump very high or his age. That's precisely why he's the most underrated. Having plenty of this kind of player is why the team is winning while other teams with more star power aren't. Some people will never get this. Scola for team MVP!

13. monster

monster Member

T-Mac. Eveyone seems to have forgotten what a superstar-talent this guy is....or can be. I know we are all frustrated (and rightfully so) bc it's been a few years since we've seen the REAL T-Mac. I hope we find a way to keep him while looking out for our team's best interest.

14. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

On this board, definitely T-Mac.

15. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I'd say Lowry for sure, the guy could start on almost any team in the league.

16. LewLLOYD

LewLLOYD Member

I guess thats the point of this thread. You could really choose any player on the team.

Reading all the posts I'm reflecting on how its so much about how these guys play off each other. Its Ariza's long defensive reach, mixed with Battier channeling you into a waiting Chuck Hayes. Its Scola busting it down the court, and Lowry barrreling into you at full speed. It all seems to happen at once, and everyone seems to want to get in on it...

17. SuraGotMadHops

I have to go with Hayes, but also David Andersen. He reminds me a little of Scola during his rookie year, slow start but you really see him progress and come into his own each and every game.

18. leeaser

leeaser Member

Luis Scola He gives it his all every game.
    <br> If Luis would have had lost teeth during a game he would have still played the next just so Landry wouldn't get his first start.

19. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Lowry's talent was very evident early on in Memphis. He's just had to get quality minutes for him to START to realize that potential. West saw this early on.
    It wouldn't surprise me if there was some sort of handshake deal on the night of the Battier trade....
    Regardless, Kyle has gotten into shape,is playing for a great coach, and a top team....He is tuning into a bigtime player. The fact that he seems to be adding the 3 pointer to his game should get the rest of the NBA even more nervous about us. In addition it jacks up his trade value.

It's a mutually symbiotic relationship.

20. emmanuelb

emmanuelb Member

its battier i dont think people quite understand how elite of a defender that man is