1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who is the most consistant Rocket this season so far

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Voice of Reason, Dec 10, 2003.

1. scotia

scotia Contributing Member

SF/CAT/Yao haters are consistant bashing....:D

2. yipengzhao

yipengzhao Contributing Member

Wow, Haven is the new bastion for Yao. I'm with you bro!

So the facts are as follows:

--Yao, statistically, suffers smaller game to game performance variance. "Ain't nobody disputin' that!" (where's that from? Seinfeld? I don't remember.)

--The argument that Cat gains more points because of consistent value on perimeter defense is flawed, because Yao consistently alters many shots in the lane, every game, so he is consistently helping the interior defense.

--The argument that Cat is making smarter basketball decisions than Yao on the floor is false. Their per game TO numbers are very similar. I don't have the stats with me now, but guys like Shaq who are the focus of the offense will average as many TOs as Yao is averaging now, it's pretty easy to lose the ball in the post because of the high traffic. Yao gets blocked a lot. That sucks and is embarassing. But I still can't get over the time Cat knocks a rebound away from Yao in the first Portland game. That was also embarassing. Luckily recently Cat has stopped doing stuff like that.

--Scoring efficiency, Cat takes more shots than Yao. However, if you look at their PPS, they are remarkably similar. Yao's is higher, but Cat's is very high for a guard. So it's a tie here.

So in conclusion, because Yao's scoring is more consistent, he has been the most consistent player this season. Mobley's good performance the last 4 or 5 games is the only thing that has him in this discussion. Otherwise there's really no argument. I'm glad Cat is playing well, because Steve is still struggling. I'm not hating on Cat because he has improved a lot, I'm just analyzing the original prompt of this thread.

3. Bobliu

Bobliu Member

The thread topic is not clear. As many pointed out that Amaechi would be the most consistent player ...

Between Cat and Yao, one could look at their scoring standard deviation: Cat 6.7 vs Yao 3.8. Yao's scoring obviously more "consistent". If you look at their other category of stats, you see the same kind of standard deviation. Cat obviously has more up and downs in almost all stat categories than Yao.

From the posts here, I sensed that many here prefer Cat's type of more up and down stats to Yao's more stable and consistent but not spectacular stats. Well, this is a good start. I encourage you guys to develop this feeling faster to the next level. Oh, it would be even better to let Yao know it before his contract needs to be renewed.

Do not worry, Yao will be just fine after he get your message. He will be taken care of very very well here in Los Angeles :D

4. yipengzhao

yipengzhao Contributing Member

Yo... there's no need for that... that last paragraph is annoying.

LA fans are so apathetic, if I were Yao I'd stay in Houston because the fans have stronger feelings here. Although that feeling is hate sometimes.

I hope Houston can win a Championship with Yao and he will stay... but the larger market and Yao's marketability... it makes me uneasy.

5. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

We definately would sign and trade him if that's what it took...

6. Bobliu

Bobliu Member

If an obviously volatile player is considered more consistent than Yao here in Houston, it is better off for Yao to be somewhere else.

If somehow the Lakers got Yao, they would not need to worry about Kobe leaving any more;)

The "Rocket-as-awhole" fans also get their relief with dealing with all the YOF fans here. They can finally be happy that the Laker fans would have to deal with them here in LA;)

OK, seriously, I do not believe the Rox will win a championship here in Houston with the current players. There simply no one knows what it takes to win it all on this squad. The "buddies" style relationship between Cat and Stevie does not help. JVG went to the final only once on an emotional run in the playoffs. Would that be enough? Also the many other teams are in similar or better position than the Rox.

If Kobe is freed next summer and Rox could get him, your chance would greatly increase. Kobe will make Yao look like the best center ever (even though he is really not).

As for fan basis, I do not envy Houston at all. How many times have the Toyota center been sold out? Even in the "sold out" games, you can spot quite a few empty seats. In LA, all seats are occupied at the core duration of a game. You may argue that you see empty seats on TV. But that is because a lot of people come in late due to traffic and parking and leave early to get out of the traffic jam if it is a blowout.

You are right about market size. If Yao is looking for increase his comercial value, well, LA is the second largest market of the country, and California is the 6th biggest economy of the world (comparing with all the COUNTRIES in the world). If Yao is looking for Chinese fan basis and things Chinese, well, LA got the best of the country. If Yao is looking for movie and entertainment opportunities, well, LA is the capital of the world. You ought to feel uneasy.

However, this would not be an issue for YOF's, would it?

7. robbarnett

robbarnett Member

I think that the numbers don't really speak the whole truth. He turns it on when it counts, there are defintately patches in a few games where he slows down or has a bit of trouble, but he has generally picked him self back up again by the 4th and helps to carry the team.

8. waihh

waihh Contributing Member

Definitely Mobley. at both end of the court. Yao has consistent records, but he is a consistent mama's boy. Consistently got blocked. Consistently turn the ball over. Consistently missing easy basket. Consistently missing three point opportunities. OK. Maybe Yao is more consistent if you count everything.

9. Bobliu

Bobliu Member

Aha! See what I mean? Get rid of the guy!! Please ... please ... trade him to the Lakers. The most consistently bad player to the most hated team shoudl be the best plan ... That will terminate the Laker dynasty immediately ... Keep going Waihh, you are doing great! :D

10. lovermanbuda

lovermanbuda Member

I think I have to go with Cato on this one. I really don't know why but I just have to.

11. robbarnett

robbarnett Member

I think Cato is one of the most improved players on the team, but that doesnt make him the most consistent

12. Nova

Nova Member

A lot of teams don't make their center the focus of the offense so you can't really go around comparing other teams to the Rox. We should look only at the Rox roster.
    People are extremely high on Mobley right now and for a good reason: he has exceeded expectations.
    Remember when most ppl were calling for Mobely's head and saying that he would never flourish under his new role and under JVG? Well he has, and everybody's happy for him. So if you're talking about the biggest good surprise, or which player has played better than expected that would be Mobley. He has been pretty consistent too, especially on the defensive end.
    Now going to Yao, he has been consistent stat-wise, but in impact on the game he hasn't been so consistent as can be seen when ppl were calling for Yao to take over games and be more aggressive. He's playing pretty much on par with what most ppl expected, or even not as well as most ppl expected so they're not as high on him as Mobley.
    That being said, both have been pretty consistent, but going on pure consistency then it would have to be Yao. On their consistent impact in the game I would say Mobley has been more consistent.

13. tothomas

tothomas Member

First off I’d change the title of this thread to, “Which Rocket has been the most consistently productive performer at their position.” I think that’s what we’re talking about here.

I am a big Mobley supporter and have always felt he’s been under appreciated. I also think he has been the most consistent on defense and hustle. But, I’d have to agree with Haven. Yao is the most consistent in his position. Mobley is definitely consistent in some areas, but Yao is consistent in all the areas at his position. It seems pretty clear.

That said, I think I understand why so many people pick Mobley. There are some interesting dynamics that seem to be going on here. First theirs the legendary expectations dynamic. Yao has great stat lines at the end of every game, but Yao has some uber-fans that expect even more. They talk up a huge game for Yao. Its unrealistic to expect, but some seem to think Yao can consistently post hall of fame numbers, i.e. 30 pts, 20 rbs, 8 to 10 blocks, 10 or so assists and fewer than 5 TOs. Legendary consistency is what they expect and even Haven would admit Yao may never do that. To make matters worse in many games Yao looks like he could actually put up those kind of number. So, when he has a couple of TOs, misses a few shots, lets a couple of smaller players score over him, or slaps a rebound instead of grabbing it we get distracted from an otherwise solid performance. It looks like he’s had a poor game. Until, that is, you check his line. That’s one of the curses of someone who plays with finesse rather than power. A good performance can sneak up on fans. To many Yao’s lack of consistency in playing with power, translates to lack of playing consistently overall.

Mobley on the other hand has the opposite expectation dynamic working for him. Cat has been talked down so much that most expect him to have several opportunities a game in which to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. When he instead gives us solid defense, timely (different from consistent) scoring, and overall hustle the solid play stands out. He performs a basic skill that most pro players in his position are expected to do and many are surprised. “Wow, did you see that?” “He passed to an open man!” some shout as if that was some extraordinary thing to do. Well, in many minds for Cat it was extraordinary. The expectations were low. So this season he does that type of thing frequently rather than sparingly it’s called consistency.

Finally, there’s an “about time” dynamic involved here. Some of us, I include myself, always liked Mobley and never fully agreed with his critics. All though we saw definite flaws in Mobley’s game, the critics always seemed a bit over the top in their criticisms. Now we read this thread and we see a few people actually singing Cat’s So we say, “About time!” and join the band wagon. It’s just such a nice change to argue the possibility that Mobley might be the most consistent player on the Rockets team, rather than whether or not Mobley should be fired, traded, shot, tarred, feathered, deported, or all of the above.

14. zong

zong Member

Cat is improved lots, and is palying better than Yao. But consistentence, Yao should be one. He got consistent numbers, TOs, and got the blocks consistently.

15. haven

haven Member

I actually think you nailed the primary issue, even though in some respects you were disagreeing with me.

Mobley has performed above expectations. Yao is right about at them. That's creating a surge of good will for Mobley.

But that's my point. Mobley's played very well this year. Better than anybody had hoped. He's found a newfound love of defense that we can all appreciate.

But none of that has all that much to do with consistency. There's just always a tendency to vote for any good award for any player who remotely fits the criteria who happens to be on your good side at the moment.

16. mztay1

mztay1 Member

It is about TIME that Cat Mobley is being recognized for being a good player on this team. If anyone can question that he has CONSISTENTLY covered Steve's butt after being dusted on the defensive end and CONSISTENTLY changed his game..not just IN the games but obviously, in the offseason. His defense has gotten better, his offense has gotten better and yes, he does not appear to want to hold the crown of Iso-King.

Practically the FIRST player to be substituted is Steve..NOT CAT..there's a reason for that ladies and gentleman.

Yeah, Cat's the most consistently improved player on this team, hands DOWN.:D

17. reptilexcq

reptilexcq Member

Cat can't chase mouse...I vote for mouse as the most consistent player.

18. GocartMozart

GocartMozart Contributing Member

Amen, brother!

19. vegaspauli

vegaspauli Member

Numbers mean nothing! My vote goes to Cat & J. Jackson for bringin' da funk everynight.

20. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

You're talking in general, and not this game specifically, right? Because eight points on 4-13 shooting is not decent.