1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who is the most consistant Rocket this season so far

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Voice of Reason, Dec 10, 2003.

1. haven

haven Member

Either Yao, or Cato.

Mobley has had some real clangers. I can't remember any nights where I thouht "damn, I wish we were getting production from the C position."

Cato hasn't been spectacular, but has been fairly reliable.

Mobley has played very well and been productive in many games... but there's been in a few... where he was jsut terrible.

2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Exactly. Those are the kinds of numbers I would like to see from Francis, Yao and Mobley. Mobley has has some good games, many of them in fact, but also some stinkers as evidenced by his numbers in the above posts (9,9,7). Yao has been in double figures every game and as you point out 14 or more in the 16 of the 20 he has played. That is the most consistant effort of the year in my opinion.

As they say, Yao is averaging the quietest double double of anyone in the NBA.

3. ttstk123

ttstk123 Member

Yao. No matter how he play, he always end up with around 17pts, 8rebounds a game. There were a few games where he was missing everything and you would think he probably wouldn't even reach double digit... but somehow, he just manage to. Consistent.

Defensively - CAT! I have yet to see a defensive let down from CAT this season. 40+mins/game of in your face D!

4. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

Nevertheless, our whole offense is inside/outside, w/ most of it running through Yao Ming. Cats # is called much less. The way Cat is shooting right now, I bet he could easily be averaging 20 ppg. But he isnt. He is shooting less, playing more defense, and adjusting to the system. I remembe Cat having 2 stinkers. Thats it, really. One was against Dallas's zone. I forget who the other was against. Other than that, Cat's been consistant.:cool:

5. haven

haven Member

Your memory is wrong. There's some sort of crazy rage to approve of everything Cat does right now. He has not been more consistent than Yao.

1. Cat has scored less than 10 points 4 times.
    2. Cat has had seven (7!) games shooting under 40%.
    3. Cat has had four four! games shooting under 30%.
    4. Cat has had eight 8! games with 5 or more turnovers.

Sorry, Cat has not been as consistent as Yao this year. And it's not even close, sadly. But those of you who resent the YOF fans are actually becoming biased against him. It's bizarre: it's not close, but more people here are electing for Mobley.

What's that spew about loving the Rockets "as a whole," again?

6. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

Mobley has taken a total of 266 shots this season, made 120.
    Average PG: 6/13.3 shots at 45.1%

Bad shooting nights (<=35%):
    ---------------------------------------
    2/9, 22% :: Nov 29 at SuperSonics
    7/20, 35% :: Nov 24 at Clippers
    3/11, 27% :: Nov 19 vs GS Warriors
    5/14, 35% :: Nov 16 at TOR Raptors
    3/13, 23% :: Nov 14 vs Ph. Suns
    2/10, 20% :: Nov 13 at Mavericks

Good shooting nights (>=50%):
    --------------------------------------
    11/18, 61% :: Dec 03 vs Jazz
    11/21, 52% :: Nov 11 vs Heat
    9/14, 64% :: Nov 08 vs Magic
    8/9, 89% :: Nov 04 at Nets

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yao has taken a total of 244 shots this season, made 121
    Average Shots PG: 6/13.3 shots at 49.6%
    Average RB PG: 10.1

Bad shooting nights (<=35%):
    ---------------------------------------
    3/15, 20% :: Nov 26 at Jazz
    5/15, 33% :: Nov 17 at Sixers
    6/18, 33% :: Nov 08 vs Magic

Yao has one game which he got 7 rb, all other games he got at least 8 boards.

You can draw you own conclusion.

--daoshi

7. daoshi

Should be,
    Average Shots PG: 6/12.2 shots at 49.6%

--daoshi

8. haven

haven Member

Rock solid while shooting less than 30% in 4 games? Unless you're getting triple teamed, you're a liability at that point.

9. topfive

topfive CF OG

Sorry, Haven, but you're still talking statistics. I've got League Pass and have only missed one game so far, and I see too many instances of Yao playing inneffectually or spending lengthy stretches on the bench.

And I'm not a Yao-basher -- I love the guy! I think he's the best thing that's happened to the Rockets in nearly a decade, and will probably go down as one of the all-time greats before all is said and done. But this year, he's had too many games in which he all but disappeared for stretches.

10. haven

haven Member

And I've seen about 60% of the games, and think that Mobley is only effective offensively when he's hot. When he's not "hot," he's a liability offensively. Yao, at least, is keyed on by defenses regardless. He also leads Yao in "bonehead factor plays" rather drastically, which is never something a consistent player does.

So, you see? This gets us absolutely nowhere.

11. HeyDude

good point topfive. No one here is being biased against Yao. Its just that when u compare stats of a center vs a guard, the center's stats will definitely look better, especially if the whole offense is geared towards him. Its just that Cat has made excellent work out of the touches he is getting, which in some games are not very many. Besides the few isolations or pnr called for him, he is basically a catch and shoot dude, and averaging 17 a game regardless. And bringing it defensively EVERYDAY. :cool:

12. haven

haven Member

Truly?

Go look at the stats of centers around the league, then look at the guards on the same team. Tell me how many centers have more PPG, please. Centers generally do have a higher shooting %, but score less.

Of course, this is due to the fact that most centers suck now... but if you're going to bring in positional analysis, then we have to measure relative consistency and value.

In which case, Yao wins this comparison even more.

Come on, at least don't trap yourself with your own assumptions, next time.

13. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Geez - I have to weed through all these comments and stats just to find the few good manboobs jokes...

14. New Jack

New Jack Member

I have to disagree here. Yao has been VERY mistake prone this season. He consitently gets the ball stripped and blocked, which will lead to fast breaks for the other team. Then he'll get outhustled for rebounds, which you'll never see happen to Cat.

Yao's play has frustrated me more often than Cat has. He's had 55 turnovers. That seems like a lot for a big man. Cat has only had 29 TO's, which for a guard that handles the ball as much and plays as much is very good.

You can't just look at who has more points to decide who has played well most consistently.

15. haven

haven Member

Mistake prone is different than "bonehead," tbh.

The dumbest thing that Yao does routinely is where he holds the ball. More a technique, issue, than anything else. This pales in comparison to Mobley's multitudinous "well, duh" basketball errors.

16. daoshi

I wouldn't say Mobley "made excellent work out of the touches he is getting". Look at the shots distribution,

Francis :: 15.2 PG at 40.6%
    Moblet :: 13.3 pg at 45.1%
    Yao :: 12.2 pg at 49.6%

Cat has been playing very well in the last few games, but he has not been consistent prior to that.

--daoshi

17. HeyDude

oh come on Haven....fine. Most pf/c stats, including shooting %s, are better than most pg/sg/sfs.....there, good enough?

The only reason i am even arguing this point is simply this: Yao is averaging 17, 10, and 3 Tos, shooting 49%, while being the focal point of the whole offense, while Cat is averaging 17,4,3 and 2 Tos, shooting 45% fg AND 3s, while playing solid D and being the third option on offense.

18. haven

haven Member

Where the hell did you come up with those stats?

Mobley has 44 turnovers, not 29. He's much improved in this area, but let's not label him the best ball control guard in the league when he's not :).

He has done a better job this year at keeping care of the ball, though, which is nice.

19. New Jack

New Jack Member

Oops :eek: was looking at the wrong column on the stat page. 44 is still decent for a guard that handles the ball as much as him.

20. bigben69

bigben69 Member

Cat and Mo. Mo has been impressing me every game somehow on offense. Cat is #1 though. Mo needs more time to tell.