1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who is the biggest bust ever??

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Drew_Le, Jul 13, 2001.

Tags:
  1. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

I'd have to cast my vote for Pervis "bum-knees" Ellison.

------------------
    "Oh No..."
    -Bill Walton in 97 just before Stockton's buzzer beater

2. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

I think Griffin will be...

------------------
    Protrolls.com!

"I want to be like Olajon." -Sagana Diop has the right idea...

Keep the ???? alive!

3. Cat5

Cat5 Member

Dennis Hopson

Selected #3 overall ahead of Scottie Pippen, Kevin Johnson, Horace Grant, Reggie Miller and Mark Jackson in the 1987 NBA draft.

4. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

My top 4 in the last decade:
    Danny Ferry
    Billy Owens
    Shawn Bradley
    Chauncey Billups

I'd pick Owens first, because not only was he a very high pick, he was traded for Richmond (breaking up Run TMC).

------------------
    I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip that I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis.

5. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Take your pick...Steve Stipanovich,Dennis Hopson,Danny Ferry,Reggie Williams...What a bunch of stiffs....There are so many.
    ..sorry about that Cat5 and Sam,I was in the process of posting and you snagged a couple of those.

------------------
    Everybody has a little bit of Watergate in em - Billy Graham

[This message has been edited by hardwood (edited July 13, 2001).]

6. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Harold Minor did get a bunch of hype , especially here in Houston where we was the mob favorite over Robert Horry but he was still only a #12 pick.
    How about Chauncey Billups #3 in 1997
    or Yinka Dare' at #14 in 94 (maybe 14 is worth a reach, hey , I thought he was gonna be good)

------------------
    I find my own ignorance amusing

7. Cat5

Cat5 Member

Guys who played in the league for over 10 years should not be consider the BIGGEST bust when there’s player who did not even make it out of their first contract.

8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

That's the first name that popped into my head, too.

------------------
    "I'll tell you this, the older I get, the less I trust people. It's true. It's damn true." -- gr8-1 going through some growing pains.

9. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Without a doubt Christian Laettner. I can't believe major sports rags actually had a debate on whether Orlando should pick Shaq or Laettner, and a lot of people picked Laettner!!

------------------
    "Instruments are like women: After a while, you want to make love to another."

- Nicolas Godin of the musical duo Air

10. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

That's not necessarily true Cat5. If the guy was drafted to make a difference and he underachieved and set a franchise back, he's a bust. See Bowie, Sam and Laettner, Christian.

------------------
    "Instruments are like women: After a while, you want to make love to another."

- Nicolas Godin of the musical duo Air

11. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

He might have meant salary-wise.

But you're right, considering where Cato was drafted, his numbers are only a little off.

------------------
    The title will come to ClutchCity once again.

12. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

Michael Olowokandi. He was a first round overall pick, for cripe's sake!

Joe Smith is another biiiiig bust.

Derrick Coleman isn't so bad. His career numbers are actually pretty decent.

------------------
    All hail Fadeaway's Cyberfish -- your 2000-2001 BobFinn* Fantasy Basketball League Champions!

13. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

As I recall this team drafted Dream under Patterson and Thomas and we went to two NBA finals while making the play-offs almost every year. There is no comparison to Donald Sterling. BTW what was the only WCF team to make it to the finals other than the lakers from 80-89? Thats wright our very own Houston Rockets, owned by Charlie Thomas and ran by Steve Patterson. And they did it with two completely different teams!

------------------

14. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Lee Johnson. A first rounder who was so bad, the Rockets did not even sign him to a contract.

------------------

15. Scarface

Scarface Supremely FocASSed
    Supporting Member

I don't think Patterson was there at the time we drafted Sam. The way I remembered it Les fired Patterson when he got the team and Patterson cried his way home.

------------------
    "We need to FOCASS".... Akeem Olajuwon

16. Scarface

Scarface Supremely FocASSed
    Supporting Member

Crash getting Ralph was a no brainer at the time. Neither was getting Dream. Jordan was a nobody compared to Dream back then. I will stand by what I say those two combined to form the worst basketball organization (at least in my life time)

P.S. That was Steves dad who drafted Dream and Ralph.

------------------
    "We need to FOCASS".... Akeem Olajuwon

17. crash5179

Scarface, were you even watching basketball back in 84? Jordan was nothing compared to Dream back then? I think you have it ass backwords. Dream was very unskilled compared to Jordan back then. No one ever imagined that he would turn into the player he is now. Did you ever see him dribble a ball in the early days? Jordan was named College Player of the Year by The Sporting News in both 1983 and 1984 and won the Naismith and Wooden Awards in 1984, which by the way was the same year that he and Hakeem were drafted. He hit the winning shot in the NCAA championship his freshman year.

You are giving Patterson and Thomas bad grades because they had the number 1 spot in the draft twice and did not screw it up? How many times has Sterling had a top three pick or lottery pick in the last two decades and screwed it up? How many times was Sterling able to guide his franchise to the play-offs in the last two decades?

Please let me know what you are basing your statement on. What is it that Thomas and Patterson did that compares to what Sterling has done. Don't just make such acusations with out backing them up.

------------------

18. crash5179

Here are some of basketballs worst franchises:

New Jersey
    Washington Wizards/Bullets
    Dallas Mavericks (before Cuban)
    L.A. Clippers
    Sacramento (before Webber)

All of those franchises went years even a decade or more with out even smelling the play-offs and you are going to put Patterson and Thomas in this group when we were in the play-offs year in and year out with two WC championships? Please! Did you like those two Western Conference championships? I hope you liked those two WCChampionships very much!

------------------

19. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

#1 Len Bias - Because of the waste of God given talent and the possibility he might have helped stop the wear and tear on Bird.

#2 Pervis Ellison - #1 pick flop...couldn't even come up with a decent hair style

#3 Sam Bowie - Always hurt and Portland could have had Drexler and Jordan

#4 Roy Tarpley - Another Mav, who had awesome ability, but couldn't keep himself straight

#5 Ralph Sampson - Should have revolutionized the game or at least have been the next Jabbar.

------------------

20. Band Geek Mobster

You can't have a list of worst franchises in the NBA and leave out the Golden St. Warriors...

...that was for you Swopa...

[​IMG]

------------------
    So you run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking,
    Racing around to come up behind you again.
    The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older,
    Shorter of breath and one day closer to death.