1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who is the best power forward in the NBA?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Rockets#1fan, Mar 23, 2008.

?

Who is the best power forward?

Poll closed Jul 1, 2008.
  1. Tim Duncan

141 vote(s)
    43.7%
  2. Kevin Garnett

101 vote(s)
    31.3%
  3. Dirk Nowitzki

2 vote(s)
    0.6%
  4. Amare Stoudemire

34 vote(s)
    10.5%
  5. Chris Bosh

5 vote(s)
    1.5%
  6. Rasheed Wallace

7 vote(s)
    2.2%
  7. Antwan Jamison

6 vote(s)
    1.9%
  8. Carlos Boozer

9 vote(s)
    2.8%
  9. Elton Brand

4 vote(s)
    1.2%
  10. Other

14 vote(s)
    4.3%
  1. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

I don't know how anyone could say anything but TD. Replace Dirk, KG, anyone on that list and their team gets better.

Put TD instead of KG on that Boston team and their losses are in the single digits.

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I'm not sure about that. KG plays a very different style. You exchange him for a post-up, interior player like Duncan and the results could be very different.

Boston plays an aggressive, trapping style on defense which I think suits Garnett more than Duncan. And their offensive chemistry would change as well by pairing an inside player like Duncan with Perkins.

3. poprocks

poprocks Member

What a dream lineup it would be if we could get any of those guys mentioned above playing next to Yao.

4. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

I agree with the sentiment--and I'll add. They both have 2 other all-stars quality players and both teams have had some injuries of those stars. Boston is 55-15 and SA is 47-23. In the West Boston is 23-5 vs 25-16 for SA. Garnett also has better PER, and the difference when they both play PF is even greater (Duncan really plays much more at C, he IS more of a C).

This season KG is the best PF in the game. Would I count on him in the playoffs over Duncan though, no.

5. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

You make a good point about style of defense, but you'd be hard pressed to make me believe exchanging Garnett for Duncan would make a defense worse.

On the flip side, having TD in the post commanding double teams would leave Ray Allen and Posey even more wide open 3's to knock down. If they choose to double from Perkins, just swing the ball around and get an open shot or find KP open for the dunk. Perkins doesn't demand any touches on the block on his own, so I don't think that'd be an issue.

And as far as intangibles go, Duncan brings experience, poise, and leadership in spades. He's not going to wow anyone like KG might, but his consistency and dominance when needed is just demoralizing to a team.

6. Desert Scar

Against someone like Amare or Dirk--yeah I'd rather have KG guarding them. KG is also better on switches with guards and SFs (trapping and switching defenses).

But Duncan has Manu, Parker, Finley, Barry (most of the season), Udonka, etc. They actually take more 3s than Boston does.

Yet Boston has been the much superior team--and THE best defensive team in the league by a wide margin. I don't think bringing in Ray Allen has had much to do with that turnaround.

Tim Duncan for the last 5 years or so has really done most his talking, and raised his level of play, in the playoffs. Regular season KG and a few other bigs have been better, more dominant.

7. djmatt

djmatt Member

Of coarse KG but Rasheed is a beast

8. OrangeCountyCA

Whom ever of these guys can play point-forward.

9. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

If anyone keeps saying that Tim Duncan is a center, instead of PF.....I think you would need to back off that argument.....since he has started only 14 games at center in his entire career...while he has almost started 800 games as forward.

I'm not making this up.....

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3173/splits?year=career&type=Fielding/

Situation G Min M A Pct M A Pct M A Pct Off Def Tot Ast TO Stl Blk PF PPG
    As Start F 797 37:17 8.3 16.4 50.7 0.0 0.2 18.9 5.0 7.4 68.4 3.2 8.7 11.9 3.2 2.9 0.8 2.4 2.7 21.7
    As Start C 14 32:30 7.9 14.6 54.4 0.1 0.2 33.3 4.1 6.1 68.2 2.6 9.3 11.9 2.8 2.6 0.7 2.1 2.2 20.1

10. rodrick_98

rodrick_98 Contributing Member

how about kg on the spurs? how different of a team would they be?

11. Rockets#1fan

Rockets#1fan Member

Al Jefferson is a good power forward, I forgot about him and David West when I was making the poll. Both of them I think are at least better than Sheed.

12. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

One guy has more rings then all the other guys combined.

LOL! Is this really a question?

13. Desert Scar

Maybe you should look at where he plays, not where he starts...

Current season, over 90% minutes at Center.
    http://www.82games.com/0708/07SAS19C.HTM

Last season, about 70% at C (75% in the playoffs).
    http://www.82games.com/0607/06SAS13C.HTM

Basicially since Robinson left Duncan has been a center 1st, PF second, and the trend has only gotten more stilted to center. Duncan is more of a center masquerading as a PF just at the start of games.

14. Desert Scar

So Robert Horry it is!!!

No, I think the debate is who is the best PF right now--not who has the best career (Duncan--not withstanding he is at least as much C as PF) or most rings (Horry).

15. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Not if you click "other" and write-in-vote Robert Horry ;)

16. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Damn you, beat me to it!!!!! :mad: ;)

17. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

""Carlius Scolandry is overrated by the members of this board""

18. OrangeCountyCA

Can I change my vote to Amare? Is anyone else watching the Suns Celtics game? Amare is by far the best offensive PF.

19. hanlong

hanlong Member

I'm watching that game, but that's exactly why he's not the best PF :p He needs to play some defense to be be considered the best PF...

20. Cjjr72984

Cjjr72984 Member

Where is David West at???!!!!

He's one of the best power forwards in the game.

Either KG or Duncan is the best though.