1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who is the best left handed player of all time in the NBA?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by houston#1, Feb 4, 2019.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

You haven’t given any plausible explanation for why a naturally right handed person would grow up using their left hand for writing. Just for the hell of it?

It makes way more sense that these players are naturally left handed and just learned to play basketball from a young age like a right handed player (as most of their friends would have) rather than they are naturally right handed and got into the habit of doing all the mundane off-court tasks with their left hand for some unknown reason.

2. durvasa

Link?

3. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

don grahamleone likes this.
  4. BasketballMind

I have no plausible proof or evidence that the naturally right handed players you mentioned grew up writing with their left hand. You're right. A naturally right handed person wouldn't write PRIMARILY with their left (as a child) for the hell of it. From time to time, yes, people do it. But who's to say they did (grew up writing with their left hand)? I provided a link for Bird. He's a natural righty.

Again, I'm not saying people can't learn to use their left or that their left can never be as strong or stronger than the opposite hand. I'm saying I don't believe these players were actually born (only) left handed & using a different side of their brain than naturally right handed people.

Going off the video you sent of LeBron, he doesn't know what he's talking about.

Because of the "disadvantages" left handers face it used to be considered a mental disorder/special needs. They have scholarships available for left handed people. People are also warned not to use what hand someone writes with as a test on whether or not they're naturally left handed. True story. If Lebron was truly born left handed his story wouldn't be how his coach wanted him to practice left handed lay ups (which doesn't make sense if he were naturally left handed). He'd tell a story about a certain challenge or challenges he had growing up being left handed. We do things different, move different, think different. All facts.

#64 BasketballMind, Feb 6, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
  5. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

I've been wavering for a while, but at this point, I'm pretty sure you're not a Rockets fan, which begs the question: Is there not some other forum that you'd enjoy hanging out on more than Clutchfans?

I get that it's probably fun to get a rise out of people for a while, but I'm pretty sure you're a grown-ass man and you have better things to do with your time. And no, coining nonsensical nicknames like "Far-weed" for our players doesn't count.

Also this may be the first (and last) time I ever see James Harden compared to JR Smith.

don grahamleone likes this.
  6. durvasa

That's one sentence, unsourced, on the internet. Several places say that he does pretty much everything off the basketball court with his left hand.

Heck, there's an actual book on left-handed athletes that features Larry Bird on the cover!

I think, if not natural lefties, these players (Bird, LeBron, etc.) should just be categorized as ambidextrous and they got used to doing some tasks with their left hand and others with their right hand.

7. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Manu wouldn't have been able to sustain it like Harden in his dreams, let alone on the court, and he sure wouldn't be able to make more than an assist or two at best.

8. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Maybe thats why the guy had a pathetic FG% for a center.

9. BasketballMind

Yes, ambidextrous. Not born left handed. Big difference. Very small percentage of the population are naturally left handed. I also believe those sources that he does a lot of things with his left hand. That is what's recommended. Not everyone does it. We're talking about Larry Bird and LeBron James, two of some of the greatest of all times, so I'm not surprised at all they've disciplined themselves to do this. Thats why they're great.