1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who is our ideal first round matchup?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by m0lson, Feb 26, 2015.

1. HRox832

HRox832 Member

Mavs.

2. Bo6

Bo6 Member

we can beat the clippers without griffin.

3. solid

solid Contributing Member

I think OKC is going to bounce GS out of the playoffs. So, we could have a "clear path" if the Clips get beat and the Grizzles get knocked out of the first round. Let's start with the Mavs. Let SA upset someone else, and face them down the road. I am thinking that it might be Portland and Houston in the Western Finals. The only problem is someone has to eliminate OKC and it won't be the Rockets.

4. HouStu_Rocket

HouStu_Rocket Member

Would you guys rather have 99 first round exits and a championship

Or 100 finals appearances with no chips?

5. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

If OKC plays GSW, whichever team emerges out of that scrum will instantly become the favorite to win the NBA championship.

6. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Lol, so wait... With option 1 we're only ~85 years or so from a championship?? Haha, I'm just messing, definitely interesting to think about, I mean making the finals every year and losing would probably get tiring (just like losing in the first round). I'm hoping houston makes a good run this season, and sets up future deep runs to really win it all.

7. reliableman

reliableman Member

I want to see the Mavs and Blazers fall at our hands. OKC would be another team I'd love to see us beat. If the Rockets go through those teams, it'd be extremely tough but incredible to come out on top. Anything on top of that is golden...like a trophy maybe?

8. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

I want Portland!

9. PersianRocket

PersianRocket Member

I still think OKC might miss the playoffs. They're only half a game ahead of NOP and 1.5 games ahead of Phoenix. Despite how Westbrooks been playing, they're still consistently losing without Durant. Don't think Phoenix can take the spot just because they're talent majorly downgraded after the trade deadline but the Pelicans have a chance.

Sidenote, if the Pelicans make the playoffs, all 5 southwest teams would be in the playoffs.

10. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I think the Mavs or the Spurs are the ideal matchup for us in the 1st round. I know the Spurs scare most teams in the playoffs but we match up with them extremely well and they fear Harden like probably no other player. Harden is THE Spurs killer.

The Mavs just aren't potent enough on defense and their offense is slowed by our length. I'm really glad they traded all of their depth for Rondo. They aren't deep enough to compete with us for 48 minutes a game. Especially when Dirk is too old to play heavy minutes effectively for a full seven game series.

11. Exiled

Exiled Member

Depend on opponenets Point guard.

Dallas best guard is 4 feet tall , PB can handle him.
    Slow tony Parker is manageable.

But then you have WB, Lilard ,Curry and you would want to stay away a.m.a.p

12. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

You don't even watch the games so how exactly would you know

13. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I wouldn't live long enough to see that completed so I'd just give uo

14. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Not sure which games you have been watching. Here is Houston's W/L record against the Western Conference Play-Off teams as of today:

Dallas 2/1
    Golden State 0/4
    LA Clippers 1/2
    Memphis 2/1
    OKC 2/0
    Portland 1/1
    San Antonio 1/1

The team that has given us Nightmares this season is GS Warriors. Maybe you and I just have a different definition of nightmare. As pointed out earlier, the Rockets have not had a completely healthy line-up all season and yet there are only two teams with winning records against the Rockets (GS & LAC). Then West is stacked with quality play-off teams this season, just like last season. Any team is capable of beating any other team IMO. The one team that stands taller than the rest is Golden State because they are so damn disciplined on the defensive end, plus the shoot the ball so well from the outside.

The two teams I would least like to face in the play-offs is Golden State 1 and LAC 2. I will happily take my chances with the rest of them, especially if we have a healthy team going into the play-offs.

By the way, I don't think it will happen this season because of the injuries to Durant & Westbrook, but OKC might have the best front court in all of basketball next season. In his first 4 games, Enis Canter is averaging 16PPG & 9RPG in just under 30 minutes a game. Durant, Ibalka & Kanter are going to be almost impossible to stop once KD gets healthy.

#74 crash5179, Mar 1, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2015