1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who is Kenny Huang?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Will, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/11/sports/soccer/11liverpool.html

That little-known investor is Kenny Huang, 46, a globe-trotting sports enthusiast who has made marketing deals in China with the Cleveland Cavaliers and the Yankees, and has entered into a business partnership with Leslie Alexander, the owner of the Houston Rockets.
    In February, he helped the Yankees tour China with their World Series trophy, trying to drum up interest in Major League Baseball. He also advised Chinese investors bidding to acquire a 15 percent stake in the Cavaliers, although the deal did not work out. And in an interview this year, he said that he would consider acquiring an N.F.L. team. ...
    Friends say Huang made a fortune working on Wall Street and helping clients invest in Chinese initial public stock offerings. Now, they say, he is pushing China to overhaul its sports system and develop its own professional sports leagues with corporate sponsors — a challenge in a country where the government retains tight control of sports programs.
    But his interests are not confined to China. In what could be one of the biggest sports club deals in history, Huang is said to be considering acquiring the Liverpool club from its owners ...
    One of his ventures is Rocket Capital, formed with Alexander of the Rockets. The venture and others have invested more than $200 million in Chinese I.P.O.’s in Hong Kong over the past five years, according to securities filings.
    Huang has also worked on sponsorship deals in China with the Rockets, the Cavaliers and the Yankees.

... Just in case anybody thought Yao Ming was going anywhere anytime soon.

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I think you may be overstating his influence over Rockets personnel moves a bit, as well as his concern if his group indeed does get control of LFC.

3. Raven

Raven Member

It only proves that you don't need Yao to do business in China. Does having Yao help, absolutely, but he's not absolutely necessary. If Yao breaks his foot again, I'd be stunned if the Rockets tried to resign him, especially to a max contract.

4. ClutchCity3

ClutchCity3 Member

Hope he can take over Liverpool FC...my club need him!!!!!!Yanks OUT!

5. GoRoc

GoRoc Member

Huang Rules! Yanks OUTTTTTTT
    i really hope he will buy liverpool, he is much better than Kridi.
    You'll Never Walk Alone! =]

oh, and if yao will have another injury like he just had he will retire for sure.

1 person likes this.
  6. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Yao himself has already said he'd retire if the foot doesn't heal. So resigning him isn't an issue.

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I don't know who Kenny Huang is but I know who Kenny Powers is

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wjvZOh4OzBs&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wjvZOh4OzBs&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

8. bloop

bloop Member

old news. Rocket Capital happened 5 years ago and the Cleveland Cavs thing was last year.

this doesn't have anything to do with Yao but it shows that Les could profit from a continuing profile for his team in China after Yao is gone

9. tXhiggs

tXhiggs Member

this. to say H+G have been a nightmare would be a massive understatement.

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Kenny Huang is someone who clearly doesn't like Trevor Ariza and prefers Courtney Lee, whose name sounds vaguely Chinese.

I'd bet Kenny Huang will cause the Rockets to acquire Jeremy Lin and David Lee next.

Kenny Huang.

11. rn_xw

rn_xw Member

I hope Liverpool does well this year...losing Torres will hurt but Gerrard will always be there..

So this guy does investment in sports franchises.. maybe he can invest in the Clippers, high risk = high reward

12. kevtse

kevtse Member

WOW~ I thought i went to the Liverpool forum.

13. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Is this the guy that's next in line after Warren Buffet?

14. bloop

bloop Member

sadly no. the guy you're thinking about is Li Lu.

but both those guys show how much of an impact these young Chinese entrepreneurs and investors are having. all those old Jewish dudes like Les better watch their back or these Chinese are going to be running everything in 20 years

15. Gerrard

Gerrard Member

Liverpool's new owner? Please?

16. fonzie_004

fonzie_004 Member

Good to see there is some Liverpool fans about. my two overseas loves, the Rockets and the reds.

17. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Previous rumors had Huang wooing Yao to the Cavaliers. I don't see anything positive about this.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4272395

18. X32

X32 Contributing Member

Les is Jewish?? :confused:

19. AkeemTheDreem86

Most certainly, Les is MOT.

20. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Sorry the italics were driving me crazy.
    _____

That little-known investor is Kenny Huang, 46, a globe-trotting sports enthusiast who has made marketing deals in China with the Cleveland Cavaliers and the Yankees, and has entered into a business partnership with Leslie Alexander, the owner of the Houston Rockets.

In February, he helped the Yankees tour China with their World Series trophy, trying to drum up interest in Major League Baseball. He also advised Chinese investors bidding to acquire a 15 percent stake in the Cavaliers, although the deal did not work out. And in an interview this year, he said that he would consider acquiring an N.F.L. team. ...

Friends say Huang made a fortune working on Wall Street and helping clients invest in Chinese initial public stock offerings. Now, they say, he is pushing China to overhaul its sports system and develop its own professional sports leagues with corporate sponsors — a challenge in a country where the government retains tight control of sports programs.

But his interests are not confined to China. In what could be one of the biggest sports club deals in history, Huang is said to be considering acquiring the Liverpool club from its owners ...

One of his ventures is Rocket Capital, formed with Alexander of the Rockets. The venture and others have invested more than $200 million in Chinese I.P.O.’s in Hong Kong over the past five years, according to securities filings.
    Huang has also worked on sponsorship deals in China with the Rockets, the Cavaliers and the Yankees.