1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who is Ismail Ahmed?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DearRock, Jul 13, 2002.

1. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

Who is this fella? Is he a replaceement for Boki? Size? Height? Strengths?

2. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

I wanted to know the exact same thing.

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

From looking at him, he has to weight about 210-220 lbs. He's got massive calves - I mean huge ass hamhocks. He's not very tone in terms of build - somewhat stocky. My guess is he's about 6'6" - 6'8" in height. I know he looked about 2 or 3 inches taller than Tito Maddox who is 6'4", I think. He seems to have a good mid-range jumper and is always around the ball. He's scrappy and fights for rebounds. He seems to pass the ball well, too. He doesn't try to showboat or hog the ball.

The Rockets seem to be taking a good look at the kid. During one play Rudy turned to his assistants and said something like "did you see that?" after one of his plays. He's getting minutes in the games, so they must really want to take a look at him during these SPL games.

4. DearRock

Thanks, Doc. So this guy is a SG, SF or a bit of both? Who did he sub for, typically? Would you expect him to be invited to training camp?

5. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

Apparently he is an Egyptian basketball star who plays in Lebanon.

6'-8" tall
    203 lbs
    SF/PF

His profile says that he is one of the top 5 players from Africa, and that he is the highest paid Egyptian player ever. I don't know how much weight that carries, but Rudy must have gone to some trouble getting this guy here.

6. Kill Dirty Stockton

Kill Dirty Stockton Contributing Member

Who is Kaizer Soze? :D

7. DearRock

Thanks for the link. If Rudy did do alot to get this guy here, my thougts would be why?

8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

This worries me.Is Boki going to be out for a longer time than expected?

9. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

I'm sure they have been scouting this guy for a while... long before they found out about Boki's hernia. Also, if they see talent somewhere, then they are going to look at it. It is like CD's catch phrase that he uses for every trade rumor, and every draft workout that they do. "We always look at every option." Although we only know what DOD has reported, this guy could be a 2-3-4 player who could be 3rd string material. Oscar Torres, Tito Maddox, Terrence Morris, Kenny Thomas are the guys he is competing with. Also, they might be checking him out for next year.

10. T-2

T-2 Contributing Member

Regardless of what happens with him, my hats off to CD & the organization for scrutinizing every option. He had a pretty good game last night so their initial evaluation is already somewhat validated. My $.02: With these international players, you are more apt to see more passing & fundamentals, and the more players we can throw out there that buy into that Sac Kings style, the more it might rub off on the entire team. (I worry about ever beating the Kings until we improve in this way - as it is usually they are up by like 20 or 30 at halftime when we play them).

11. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Notes from LA's #1Rocketfan

Stat Comparison

Houston Rockets
    # Player S F/G 3 PT FT OR DR TR F PTS A TO B S MIN
    16 Oscar Torres * 5-9 1-2 3-3 0 3 3 2 14 2 1 0 0 35
    44 Terrence Morris * 2-6 0-1 0-0 1 2 3 2 4 1 1 0 0 19
    00 Ismail Ahmed 4-7 1-3 6-6 2 1 3 2 15 2 2 2 1 27

Just from reading LA"S quotes and listening to Dr. Dunk this guy seem like a really agressive player who looks to make things happen... When he was in thier he wants to be involved... And that's coming from people who are more concerned with Griffin, Torres Maddox etc... I would like to hear what people have to say after todays game.

12. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If he makes the team, just be sure that he isn't on the floor at the same time as Collier...

I mean, Ishmael and the great white whale? I've already read how that one ended.

13. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

A 6'6" kinda big bootied guy...who is always around the ball...

Sounds kinda like CB huh

14. Ottomaton

Supporting Member

Just for the record, I looked around the league site, and came accross Ace Custis, former VT player who was listed on their site as 6'8" as well, when infact he measured ~ 6'5.75" when he was measured by the NBA, so I question whether this guy is really 6'8".

15. Ottomaton

Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Photo of the man from 99.

16. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

I didn't really want to start another thread but while we're on the subject of unknown players on the Rockets' summer league team I wanted to see if anyone knew whether Ike Nwanko is getting a shot at our team or maybe another. I remember him nearly making the team last year but Tierre and OT beat him out. I thought he had a pretty good work ethic and would be that center to bang under the boards that Cato never really turned out to be.

17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Ike Nwankwo gets spot minutes in the SPL games. I doubt he'll make the team. He's a big bruiser type, but hasn't shown much in the minutes he's played in the SPL.

18. moomoo

moomoo Member

Is he the guy in front (#13) or the guy in back (#6)?

19. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

moomoo (damn, that nick and bigboymumu make me laugh),

He is #6. The man has some huuuuuge calves. I ought to get a pic of them... :)

20. Sane

Sane Member

Those are huge calves?

My calves are at LEAST the same.