1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who is funnier: Will Ferrell or Jim Carrey?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Faos, Aug 9, 2006.

1. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

I'm having a hard time deciding on this one. Carrey's track record of late is bringing his stock down, but when he was on he was the best. I'm going think about this before I cast my vote.

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

ferrell easily.

Carrey was too lowbrow and physical-gag oriented; Ferrell has good range.

3. JamesC

JamesC Member

Jim Carrey by far.

4. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

Eddie Murphy Before 1995. :p

5. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

I second that.. Jim Carrey has it all.. great delivery and the physical humor to boot.. I also think overall Jim is a better actor than Will is.. I loved Will on SNL, but Jim "carried" In Living Color when it was just getting off the ground..

6. candycane

candycane Contributing Member

These two are my favorites, but I'm going to have to go with Carrey.

7. Summer Song Giver

JC FTW

Ferrell is for the kids

/get off ma' lawn

8. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I totally agree, I was never a fan of Carrey old movies like Ace Ventura or any of that mess, I thought Liar Liar was ok.

Ferrell on the hand just has perfect timing and delivery

9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I don't find ferrell funny.

10. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

I like Will Ferrell. I really do. I don't see how he has any range though. Lets take a little look at the major films he has been in.

A Night at the Roxbury - Idiot guy that is clueless
    Old School - Guy that doesn't want to be married and gets drunk and acts like an idiot.
    Elf - Clueless guy that acts like an 8 year old.
    Starsky & Hutch - Gay guy that likes dragons and acts like an idiot.
    Anchorman - Idiot guy that acts macho yet is quite clueless.
    Bewitched - Didn't see it. I'm going to venture a guess that he plays a clueless guy.
    Wedding Crashers - Idiot guy that still lives with mom and thinks he's still awesome. He isn't, therefore clueless.
    Talladega Nights - Haven't seen it yet but I have money on him playing a guy thats an idiot but he doesn't know it.

11. Got Em

Got Em Member

I agree with the 2 above....Jim Carrey by FAR. I don't see how you can compare Will Ferrell with Jim Carrey. Maybe I don't think Will Ferrell is funny and that he tries too hard to be funny? :confused:

12. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

You can't really compare them at the present because Jim Carrey has a much bigger range than Ferrell. Eternal Sunshine, Truman Show, and Man on the Moon was some of his best stuff.

If you compare their best stuff, though, I'm going with Carry all the way. Ace Ventura, The Mask, and Dumb and Dumber is one of the most impressive comedic streaks ever. The Cable Guy was a very underrated dark comedy, and Liar Liar was hilarious...(The color of the pen that I hold in my hand is R-R-R-R-R-R-Rooooyal Bluuuue!!)

It's really just a matter of personal taste for me, though. The only two movies I enjoyed Will Ferrel in were Old School and Zoolander.

Oh yeah, Will Ferrell was in Bewitched....good night!

13. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Jim is a far better actor.

But I find Will is much funnier.

14. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

Ferrell.
    the guy's range (as said earlier) is amazing. from dead-on impersonations to classic slapstick, the guy has comedy mastered. Carrey relies a bit too heavily on physical expressions for my taste.

edit:
    i'm relying heavily on sketch-comedy for this analysis, not "major" movies. carrey's filmography is impressive, to say the least.

15. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

Jim Carrey.

I like Will Ferrell too, although I have a hard time to understand why people think his "Anchorman" movie is funny.

16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

to me ferrell isn't even in the same league. all he's doing are skits, extended into movies.

17. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

you mean the serious dramas with plot and substance? i guess if it ain't a comedy, it would hurt his comedic value. but Carrey's a better actor and has been in better comedies imo.

18. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

This is hard to judge but picked Ferrell just on pure comedic value as Carey has expanded his horizons beyond comedy...Carey hasn't been in anything lately that I can remember...

Plus Carey is banging JM and he's messing up my chance with her... :eek:

19. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I'll agree with that point, Carrey's shown to be a much better actor, I've enjoyed a lot of Carrey serious movies. Ferrell I don't think has that in him, he is by nature a clown

20. Ognilecaf

Ognilecaf Member

It all depends on what humor you prefer. Jim's goofyesk maneristic humor or Will's sacarstic (you smell like bigfoots D*ck humor) I prefer Jim at his peak but Will is pretty close