1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who is a better upgrade? Howard or Josh Smith

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Old Man Rock, Apr 7, 2013.

1. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

You're right, that's a problem. Thing is, though, if everything was perfect with Howard(or Smith), there would be no opportunity to get them.

I can kind of understand why Howard complains about shots. He only gets a little over 10.

2. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Obviously Howard. If you can get him, try trading Asik for a stretch 4 like Ryan Anderson. Nobody will be able to stop that team offensively.

3. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Say no to Josh Smith.

4. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

One's a superstar, one's not.

Chris Paul wouldn't be as big an upgrade over Lin as Smith would be over Motie/Smith/WhateverPf'sareleft but you still want Paul 1000 times over.

5. Sen89

Sen89 Member

Josh Smith is an overrated, inefficient empty stats king. He's great for 2k, but not so much for real life.

He has -0.6 offensive win shares this year. If you know anything about advanced stats, you know how rare and god-awful that is, particularly for a player with a reputation of being a borderline all-star like Smith. He shoots a piss-poor 49.6 TS% for a PF, and his FT% has plummeted from the high-60s to 51.0% this year, showing a general lack of effort/practice. He shoots nearly three 3 3fga per game this year despite being a 28.4% career 3pt shooter.

You may look at the Hawks and assume that Smith and Horford are debatable for their best player title. But the advanced stats say that Horford is the best by a country mile - and Smith is only the 4th most valuable (if that). Smith's usage rate is 26.8, which is far more than anyone else on the team (Horford's is only 21.6). Smith has only totaled 3.7 total win shares all year, while Horford has 8.6, Korver has 6.2 and Teague has 5.8. In WS/per48, Smith is 12th on the team, and that's even more embarrassing when you factor in his shockingly high usage rate.

In conclusion, Smith is a talented player who has never learned to play efficient, or even passably smart offensive basketball. He's a good defender and versatile athlete who would improve those areas from our PF position, but his overall lack of offensive competence, and his overall cancerous play would be very detrimental to our team, and it would only be more painful to look at the likely contract he would require...but luckily Morey is an advanced stats genius, and he'd surely be too smart to offer much for Smith this summer.

6. CantBeRight

CantBeRight Member

Josh Smith can make free throws.
    Asik shoots free throws better than Howard.

7. Rockets_12

Rockets_12 Member

Josh would fit really well in our system. But we lack a true low post scorer. Some of you would say "Well D-Mo is our guy for that." Sorry guys but D-Mo is nothing but a fouling machine. Like my Sig. says, If we can find a way to have Millsap and Howard, I truly believe that is the correct winning formula. Look for J.J Hickson too. He would be a great starting PF alongside Dwight. You might be able to get him cheaper than Milly.

8. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Interesting stats. I have never studied that but it is one of the things that scared me away from Smith. I always wondered why the Hawks weren't better with Horford and Smith on the team. Teague is a decent guard and Korver is as good as Delfino on defense and the most amazing 3 point shooter in NBA history. So why aren't they a top tier team?

I want to blame iton the coach but IMO Smith is their superstar go to guy and he is not that go to guy in crunch time. He shouldn't be the number one guy on any team and in Atlanta he is. But that would not be the case here. In atlanta people focus on stopping Smith here Lin and harden would kill them if they did.

9. Rocket_4_Life

Rocket_4_Life Member

I would rather hire Pau for a few years to back up Asik and let our young guys gain experience. In two years, we should be right up there with Denver. One of our PFs should be near the level of Jsmith in a year or two.

10. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

People are forgetting that if we sign Dwight, we can trade asik for a 4... At WORSE we could trade asik for a ppat like player...

So i ask what is better, a ppat/Dwight tandem or an asik/Smith tandem?

Seems an easy and logical choice...

But lets take into account asik and his real value, because him coupled with a youngster like dmo or trob you can net an above average player in the millsap tier...

Dwight is a much much much better upgrade, and that's before you take into account how well he fits in a PnR offense surrounded by shooters...

11. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

Dwight. And you can always trade Asik for a good PF. It's not like we're limited to just signing Dwight and that's it.

12. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

^- oops, minute late. Said the same thing as Maloe.

Also, Howard since the all star break is playing like a top 10 player again.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He is on the decline.

DD

14. hltiki

hltiki Member

let em grow. But there does seem to be too many PFs right now and not enough wing players and not a solid back up 5. I'd really like to keep D-Mo and I'd like to see more of Smith and Jones at the 5. I know this is too much to ask, but maybe D-Mo can bulk up, get stronger, and learn to play at the 5 next season?

As for T-rob.. guy looks like he's been riding on his athleticism for far too long.

15. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Morey will surprise us all as usual and trade for someone no one was expecting.

Greg Monroe.

16. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

Josh Smith. Pick & Roll.

17. rocketfaithful

I absolutely agree. josh smith is a much better value for this team. plus maybe we could sign and trade for aminu. we probably would have to sign and trade for money purposes.

18. joesr

joesr Member

What if Dwight plays the 4?

19. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

Amir Johnson is more possible. Cheap and underrated and BC just might be stupid enough to get rid of him for picks + one of our PF's.

Highly doubt Monroe is available. He is Pistons franchise player.

20. MamboRock

MamboRock Member

I agree with the OP. Howard would be nice. But since we have Asik at the 5 already, I'd rather invest the money to get a PF which is our weakest spot right now. And Josh Smith at the 4 would be nice too. But my pipe dream is LaMarcus Aldridge