1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who invented head banging? A Guitarist or the fans

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by heypartner, Sep 28, 2014.

Tags:
  1. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Wow, as old as I am, handbanging is even older.

I'm thinking this. I don't think you can say something as natural as moving your head to music was 'invented.' Hard rock lends itself well to vigorous head movement, but it wasn't all chamber music before rock -- there have plenty of other hard-driving music forms in the past.

2. conquistador#11

i think it was a pianist in the renaissance era. not making it up either.

3. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Cave man banging sticks together.

4. PhiSlammaJamma

It must have been the ladies....

5. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Head banging was invented by a black man. Obviously no one here pays attention during Black History Month.

6. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

I always thought it was Angus Young as well. Dude's neck must be made out of spaghetti because I can't see how he can play the guitar and do his head like that at the same time.

1 person likes this.
  7. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

I heard a newspaper critic first coined the phase when describing Iron Butterfly, while the band played In a Gadda Da Vida

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/UIVe-rZBcm4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

8. Win

Win Contributing Member

Obviously, this is an important topic. I for one believe this forum is the one to settle the argument. I just can't remember what we were talking about.... Oh yeah, my neck kinda hurts. Err, I think bands like Iron maiden and Slayer brought meaning to the term.

Black Sabbath and Zep fans (even those in Great Britain) were too stoned to head bang. The Iron ButterFly were not ones to.

9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

so maybe it was the kids at a Led Zepplin show.

Vietnam music. But we never call it that.

And the Led Zepplin kids were playing in 1969, too, along with other new kids like Ozzie

#29 heypartner, Oct 4, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2014