1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who here is still bitter about this season and who here has moved on and is optimistic?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, Jun 25, 2016.

?

Are you optimistic about the Rockets' future or still bitter?

1. Bitter

49.0%
  2. Optimistic

51.0%
  1. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

BITTER AS HELL!

I'm sorry, but after supporting this team for decades... I'm just really getting fed up...

I didn't mind what some would term our 'years of mediocrity' with Scola/martin, etc as the heart of our team... cause at least i got the feeling that everyone was TRYING and the front office was making good moves, etc... but we couldn't catch a break... fair enough... if people are playing with heart but being outmatched, I'll still cheer them on..

But present day... Idk what's happening...
    I think harden is a self absorbed narcissist... and nobody has the stones to deal with it..
    Our team has had little to no heart.. We used to have good blue collar guys like Sura,
    Battier, Deke, etc... now we chase/draft people like Royce, TWill, etc...
    Our defense has SUCKED and JVG couldn't even get an interview...
    We waste draft picks chasing the yen instead of a title...
    The coaching cavalcade has been a joke...
    By now I've heard all of Morey's spin dialog enough times that it rings hollow...

I'm just really disenchanted...

Win, lose or draw, I was always proud of our team and their effort....
    now I just smh...

I hope I see some real tangible signs that help me regain my love for this team... I'm just not holding my breath...

2. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

the optimism shouldnt come from what they can do next season but after. rockets are a pathetic team right now but they can change that easily by getting to the 2nd round. from there, slowly build their way to contention in 1-2 years. if the best fa's will join spurs, clippers and celtics, then they will consider a 2nd round team. with the right players they can get to the wcf.

thats the best way to move forward if they dont wanna tank.

3. basketballholic

On a scale of 1 to 10, I'm about a 9.7 on the bitter scale. We look like a mess. We've ran off our second best player with no plan to replace him. And somehow we need to get another player that is better than him while also replacing him. And then we lost our first round draft pick because our pee wee owner thought it would be neat to watch us get our butt kicked so hard in the playoffs that our prostates are now flat as a pancake.

But hopefully it'll get better.

If we sign Uthoff I will quit calling Less Lil'Nit Wit.

If we trade for Rubio I'll quit calling him Less.

If we do both of the above and trade for Noel I'll quit calling him both.

If we do the above and also sign Durant my frustration level will go down to around 5.

4. RudyT43

RudyT43 Member

I'm bitter because I feel as if last season's ****storm will carry into the offseason. Now that every team virtually has cap room, what free agent in their right mind would come to this mess? Maybe James will get his ass into gear like he did 2 seasons ago but outside of that we have a very realistic probability of missing the playoffs.

5. ballgame

ballgame Member

It's not too often but I agree with you DD. I am optimistic BUT cautiously. I think last year was more of a fluke, than reality. I gave Morey a C+ Draft Grade. Regarding the draft, he always, always, seems to pass on the good guards, to draft a center and/or power forward. He passed up Jerian Grant last year, this year Demetrius Jackson or Marcus Paige. However, I like both our 2nd round picks and I like Payton II too, but I think we need guards that can shoot. Time will tell.

As you stated earlier, it appears Morey doesn't have an idea of how to put a team together....A PLAN! Every year around Draft time, he says the same thing, "We have a chance to move up", "The player we were after wasn't there", "We drafted the BPA, who happens to be a Power forward or Center".

Next month will tell a lot about Daryl Morey. I doubt if we get KD, maybe Horford but if not, where does he use the $45M??? GLAD YOU ASK! I would go hard after Ryan Anderson, Timofey Mozgov and Brandon Jennings in Free Agency or I would go after Rudy Gay or Kevin Love in trade.

I think Love is a bad fit in Cleveland, his talents are not being maximized. I think if we can net either Horford or Love this off season along with Brandon Jennings or any other point guard, it would be great! Ryan Anderson and Mozgov would be a good offseason too.

6. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

That's not what optimistic means. You're talking about happiness or excitement.

Optimism is being positive about the circumstance, hoping we make the best of what we CAN control.

We can't control what those FA's choose. So far, IMO we've done well with the picks we had. We're shopping everyone to see their value, which is good. We've picked a risky coach who is hit or miss. Could have picked someone boring and average, there were tons of worse candidates out there and MDA wasn't even in my top 3 choices.

There is no reason to be down on the organization's effort and strategy so far. Yes, it would be nice to have more assets, but don't undervalue the asset value of $40m+ in cap space. Morey has done a lot more with a lot less.

7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I was never bitter, and I am not optimistic (nor pessimistic).

I think it's more of a wait and see what happens mindset.

8. MONON

MONON Member

I'm somewhat optimistic. The true position of this team is somewhere between last season's underachieving one & the overachieving one of the season before. With D'Tony, our offense will have more set plays & we'll be running more PnRs. Some here feel our defense couldn't be worse. So, if our defense remains the same & our offense improves with a coach known for offense; then our point differential increases & we move up in the seeding.

9. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

For now as this team stands, I see this team being another lottery bound team. You really can't expect us to win at all without a second legitimate scorer.

Beverley/Goudelock
    Harden/Terry/Brewer
    Ariza/McDaniels/Jones/Dekker
    Dmo/Beasley&Harrell
    Capela/Smith

Plus Onuaku/Qi - Both whom won't be put into any sort of meaningful rotational minutes barring any extended injuries to any rotational players.

The first 8 guys don't really seem to be very imposing to other teams, in my opinion. That's also assuming we get Smith/Terry to come back with restricted free agents in Dmo/Jones whom I don't believe we'll be able to (or really want to) bring both back.

Unless we're able to facilitate a trade or something short of a Christmas miracle, I don't see us having a high seed next year come playoff time. Is bitterly optimistic an option here? :p

10. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Always optimistic. Never was bitter.

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

neither.

rather meh and will watch young prospects.

12. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

100 percent confident we won't finish with 41 or lower wins again. 100 percent confident. 70 percent sure. The 30 percent comes from a Harden injury.

People who think the 2015-2016 Houston Rockets is the true version of the Rockets were fooled.

13. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

fify... ;)

14. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

So the 2014-15 version with Dwight and McHale the true version?

15. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Optimistic is not the opposite of bitter. I'm not bitter at all, but I'm also not optimistic that we'll put together a title contender.

16. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

The Warriors are still the team to beat imho.. A legit Draymond Green is mighty hard to beat much less a dirty one. I don't think there's another super role player as good as Green if he is still considered that.

17. Raven

Raven Member

That's on Les, same with drafting a Chinese player. Maybe that's the smart pick, but the coincidence factor is through the roof.

As for being optimistic, no, because I've soured on Harden.

18. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

The team that came into the season and won 45 with James alone, 54 with James, and 56 with James is the true version. The team that progressively got better each and every season. If the pattern stays the same then we will be better next season. You're acting like you have bad reading comprehension. I know you don't, so don't act like you can't read. I said we won't finish with 41 wins or less. That's all I said. I didn't say we were going to make the WCF again.

The true version isnt the team that came into the season and got swept by the Nets and Nuggets and couldn't even put up a decent fight in most games.

I'm not saying we're going to make the 2nd round. That's ridiculous to believe. Unless we finish as a top 2 team in the conference we're not going to make a sure fire 2nd round appearance, and I highly doubt we get a top 2 seed in the west or even in the east if we were there. Highly doubt it. Almost zero chance barring major injuries to like 5 other teams.

Still, finishing 5th or 6th? That is certainly possible. May be a bit disappointment to super entitled fans, but it is what it is. Spurs win the championship and lose in the 1st round. Spurs win 67 games and are out in the 2nd round. Warriors win the championship and 73 games and lose to a inferior team in a highly improbable game 7 loss before the playoffs started. OKC loses a 3-1 lead.

In the playoffs nothing is guaranteed, but I'm very optimistic we will make the playoffs and have as good of chance as any if we finish 3rd-6th. Not saying we're the favorites in any match up with any team which includes Spurs, Warriors, Thunder, Clippers, Jazz, Blazers, Mavericks, Wolves, Pelicans, and ect. , but I am optimistic we are better than this season that just happened. I'm optimistic and realistic. Most on here are bitter, salty and pessimistic.

19. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

The probably with a lot of people is they think we're entitled to a championship or championship contending team. We're not entitled to anything. We're not deserving of anything either. All we can do is root for our team to be as best as it possibly can be. Now if we're fans of the Kings or something then sure we have a right to be pissed because we're wasting multiple top 10 draft picks year end and year out and the one right pick we actually got right looks like he'll leave in a couple season.

But us as Rockets fans? We had one disappointing playoff performance in 2014 and a very disappointing 2016 NBA season. People feel like that's been us for the past 10 years when it's absolutely not true. If it was easy to make a championship team then every team would be doing it. If it was easy then the Lakers should have signed Lebron James last off-season or the Nets would have a championship by now. If it was easy then the Pelicans/Hornets would have made the conference finals by now. It's not easy. One bad season doesn't mean that we're defined by it. Y'all think the Jazz are going to rebuild and trade Hayward and Favors since they missed the playoffs again? No, they went and got George Hill because they know they're fully capable of being a playoff team.

You think the Clippers are going to blow it up now since they keep getting bounced in the 1st and second round? No, they're going to retool and know last season didn't define them.

We're not entitled to a championship and if we don't come in next season with a championship it shouldn't be a disappointment. A disappointment is coming into next season worse or the same as we did this season. That's a disappointment.

20. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Need a meh option.