1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who has to go beyond expectations/ ceilings to win it a championship

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Voice of Aus, Jul 26, 2013.

?

So Who Is It?

1. Howard

13.7%
  2. Harden

4.7%
  3. Parsons

9.6%
  4. Lin

37.5%
  5. The 4 position

22.1%
  6. Asik

0.6%
  7. The Rest Of The Bench

3.3%
  8. Mchale

4.3%
  9. Morey

0.4%
  10. Lebron getting injured?

3.9%
  1. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

CL(B)EVERLEY DISGUISED LIN THREAD

2. getbloodyred

getbloodyred Member

Actually if Parsons plays just a little better than he did last season. Meaning like 16 points 6 boards 4 asssts, that would be enough from our third best player. If Lin becomes more consistent, not necessarily in his scoring output, but his efficiency in his shot taking and ball handling, then he will be a fine championship caliber PG. Same kind of goes for Harden, given that he did have his fair share of TO's and some bad shooting stretches.
    I think our backcourt becoming 1) more efficient in shooting 2) less careless with ball handling & TO's and 3) better on-ball defenders is way more important that Parsons becoming Paul George. Parsons is doing fine, and judging by this offseason, he will be in that bracket with George as "almost superstar"

3. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Sigh....

4. Ultimate6thMan

So are you saying that you consider JLin the 3rd option on the team and better than Parsons to the point that his play alone will determine how successful we will be this season?

Or are you saying that JLin as the 4th option on this team is still going to determine it's ultimate destiny as far as being a contender? I'm not saying that his play can't hurt or help the team, but what I'm asking is JLin's play that crucial to our overall success above and beyond that of DH12, Harden and Parsons?

5. epicbeardabe

epicbeardabe Contributing Member

to me it's harden..

in my eyes, he's the alpha dog on this team. i know that many think that howard is the best on this team, and at this time it may be true. but i think that harden, who is already one of the best sgs in the league, has to take his game to to the highest level he can for us to win a championship. he has the potential and im sure he'll get there but he's not there yet. hopefully this is the year.

6. RockingRox

RockingRox Member

Harden’s defense holds the key. Nothing else.

The Rockets offense will be fun to watch and productive. With Howard and Asik in the front court and Parsons taking the 3 position, the main defensive hole will be from the back court, where Harden, Lin and Beverley share. I hope Lin can be moved to the 6th man position so that he can be more effective. Beverley is a stud. Should Harden harden his defence, we are all covered!!

7. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I think if T-Jones progress like Parsons,Leonard,and Carl Landry did,they can win this year

1 person likes this.
  8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No. I am saying the player who has the most area to improve and impact the rest of the team is Lin. Harden, Howard, Parsons are already good. They will improve slightly and help the team slighty more THAN THEY ALREADY DO.

Lin can help the team A LOT because he is playing fairly average where the other guys are playing well.

9. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

The entire team.

10. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

11. AVoiceInACrowd

Actually the players who have the most area to improve and impact the rest of the team is D-Mo or T-Jones. One of them is expected to be a starter at PF. They had almost no impact last year and you can't have that from a starter.

You need to stop obsessing about Lin. The expectation for him should be the same as the other starters, that "They will improve slightly and help the team slighty more THAN THEY ALREADY DO", at least by any reasonable Houston fan. And how much did he help the team in terms of +win/share last year? The third most. Behind Harden and Asik, but ahead of Parsons. Well, at least that's what Morey said. And I trust his opinion more than someone on here.

Whether Lin shoots 34% or 40% from 3 isn't going to be that huge an impact on the game. When Lebron has the ball and has to pass, only 1 of the 4 other starters has a better 3pt% than 28.5%. When Howard has the ball, at least he will have all 4 of the other starters who can shoot better than that (assuming D-Mo is the starter).

The person who will have the most impact on whether we win a championship is Howard. I have to say that I don't know what to expect from him next year. Will it be the Howard from the last 2 years, who was troubled by injuries, and played like a top 3 center. Or will he be like the younger, healthier Howard who was easily the BEST center in the league. He is the only one on the team who can consistently impact a game both on offense and defense. He doesn't need to go beyond his ceiling. He just needs to get back to his ceiling for the Rockets to have a chance to win the championship.

12. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

If you believe that any one player stepping it up will promote the Rockets to contenders against the Heat, Spurs or OKC can I sell you a bridge?

13. CCorn

CCorn Member

If Howard can return to what he was and make harden the number 2 option, we have a shot.

14. RedEyesKirby

RedEyesKirby Member

What's to sigh about? Tell me one thing I said wrong. Do you also believe that Jeremy Lin is key to a Rockets championship? Basically what I'm reading here is that if Jeremy Lin can do everything, the Rockets will win the championship despite the fact that he's most likely not going to touch the ball as much as the other key players.

It really is absurd, it's almost like saying the key for SPURS last year to win the championship is if Danny Green steps up his game. Not Tony Parker, Ginobli, or Duncan. BUT freaken Danny Green.

One concept I see almost everyone is missing here is usage %. No matter how much a player steps up, if the usage % is low, it doesn't do anything. If Harden and Howard are both going to be in high usage %, why would Lin stepping up his game be as impactful as winning a championship?

So this is really hilarious seeing the poll coming down to Jeremy Lin. Because if him stepping up can turn a team to championship winner, then you are looking at the next superstar in the making.

15. ILoveTheRockets

I say Parsons.

He has to become more clutch in the playoffs to make teams pay. To many times he would get to the rim and botch the layup, or couldn't knock down those shots when the gameflow depended on it.

Parsons has to step it up in those clutch situations where the Rockets can make it a 2 possession or 3 possession game.

16. Nook

Nook Member

Dwight Howard....
    Because if he exceeds expectations, he will be the third best player in the NBA, and the Rockets will be deadly.

As for the point position, all the Rockets want is limited turnovers, smart defense an 40% from 3 land. If they cannot get that from Lin or Beverly, they will find someone that can.

17. Doppleganger

Doppleganger Rookie

Right on. Haters don't think, they just react. Even mentioning Lin sends them into knee-jerk convulsions.

18. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

5 star thread, my good friend

I love how you mistake your opinion for 100% fact, this thread wasted for some healthy debate so just enjoy it :)

19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I give up, you Lin fans are just blind.

You don't understand the game, you come in here and tell people who actually have played, coached, followed the game their whole lives - not just when Linsanity happened - and lecture them on what it takes to win at the game. It's hysterically stupid.

20. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Did you watch the finals last year?