1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who Has a Better History of Big Men? LA Lakers or Houston Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, Jun 17, 2013.

?

Who Has a Better History of Big Men? LA Lakers or Houston Rockets

1. Lakers

66.7%
  2. Rockets

33.3%
  1. Yang_Wenli

Yang_Wenli Member

Sorry but I'd have to say Lakers in this case. Though I like the Rockets big men for their homegrown-ness compared to the mercenary nature of the Lakers' squad.

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I think Elvin Hayes is vastly underrated on this board, simply because most people didn't see him play, and he only played one season in Houston during his prime before being sold off for peanuts, because ownership didn't want to pay him what he was worth, a sadly recurring theme during the early years of the Houston Rockets (see Malone, Moses). The first season of the expansion Rockets saw them at 15-67. They drafted Elvin #1 and he promptly won Rookie of the Year, going 28/17, and not only did they improve to 37 wins, they made it to the semi-finals of the Western Conference in their second year of existence. And this was a team with Pat Riley and Rick Adelman on the squad, great coaches long afterwards, but journeymen as players. Hayes is in the Hall of Fame, of course, winning a championship with Baltimore, and would probably have made it simply on the strength of his incredible career at UH, but he didn't need that college career to get in. His NBA career made him a lock.

I could go on about Moses, and Ralph, and Dream, and Yao, among others, but I'm on vacation in NYC, and will have to post more in the thread later. Need to read some more of the BBS! Great thread, crash, as per usual. :)-

I'll add that I am most definitely prejudiced towards the Rockets, but I don't need to be here. The Lakers and the Rockets, it could be argued, are equally blessed with great big men, but we drafted and grew ours. That wasn't the case with most of the Lakers big men, as has been pointed out. I think it makes the difference, that and Hakeem Olajuwon.

3. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

What is your logic for saying its no contest? I understand the Lakers as a whole are light years ahead of the Rockets but certainly not where big men are concerned. I can accept the opinion that the Lakers big men are better (although I disagree) but to say its no contest is just ludicrous.

4. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Thinks for chimming in Deck! People just don't realize that Big E was averaging about 28 PPG and 17 RPG during his prime but he was also a shot blocking machine.

5. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Anybody saying Houston is a shameless homer. It's really not even close. LA unquestionably has the best history of big men.

6. Dream lover

Dream lover Member

George Miken, I left him out, good pick up.

7. Dream lover

Dream lover Member

Thanks for the video, nice to see some that again.

8. SSP365

SSP365 Member

george mikan sucks balls.

he became obsolete as soon as the nba instituted the shot clock.

people need to stop glorifying these 50s and 60s players to mythic proportions in order to preserve history.

IT IS INTELLECTUALLY DISHONEST.

a lot of these guys wouldnt translate over to different eras.

9. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Voted for the Rockets only because the Lakers list contains Pau Gasol and Andrew Bynum.

10. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Seriously underrating Kareem

11. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

I'm most offended someone actually ranks Ralph Sampson above Yao Ming.

12. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

Sigh. I wish this thread would just ask which team has a better history of centers.

OP, take out Bynum, Gasol, Thorpe and Barkley and you have a real poll. Much simpler.

13. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Elgin Baylor was neither a big man or a post up player. He was a 6'5" SF slasher with acrobatic moves.

14. prs325

prs325 Member

I mean does it have to be spelled out.

Milan: First great big man
    Chamberlain: 100 point game, revolutionized camping in the paint
    Abdul Jabbar: NBA all time scorer
    Shaq: Dominant in his era although I feel that Dream is better but that's debatable.

The Rockets have an awesome lineage of of bigs but the Lakers impact is deeper, and I hate the Lakers. Just an opinion;)

15. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Teach them all boss

16. prs325

prs325 Member

17. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Rudy t said to those non believers..

18. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

And back in the 50s and 60s, Dream woulda been called for traveling at least a dozen times a game... lol.
    Don't disrespect players based on the level of competition they dominated.
    jus sayin...

19. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Wait wait wait....Kareem at 4? Behind Moses Malone?

The homer is strong in this thread

20. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Yes, he was. Don't take my word for it... ask someone who played with both of them in their primes.

[youtube]n_-9Z2LF4fI[/youtube]

Game over.

1 person likes this.