1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who gets kicked out of the rotation?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Feb 14, 2018.

1. SS0101

SS0101 Member

I think wright takes on black's role with the added luxury of being another option when both capela or nene or both seem to be ineffective. There are nights when neither one of them seem to be able to get any traction. I think wright is the most athletic (although ill admit I haven't paid much attention to him for the last season plus) of the 3 so he should come in handy for those games.

When Ariza comes back I think he will eat into Greens minutes...but I think green can serve the same purpose as wright except for our guard/wing positions.

I think joe Johnson plays that wright role for 3/4 positions. When Anderson/Tucker can't gain any traction in a game basically.

2. MD_in_Training

Wright should be the first big off the bench. Nene should replace Black as the situational big.

Green will likely get leftover minutes once Ariza comes back.

Johnson is situational as well.

3. HewbieTrippin

HewbieTrippin Member

My guess is that it'd be Green but I hope instead that Ariza's minutes cut down to 30 max. I like what has been said about Ryno. I'd also prefer to give him 15 min to see if he's suitable for the matchups or just shooting well.

Ideally, with all the depth we have, no one should be forced to play more than 30 minutes in the regular season outside of our two stars, so that our rotation guys' legs are fresh for defense. So for the regular season I see us toying with all kinds of minute distribution, having Wright fill in for Nene's games off (sorry Tarik Black), and Green & Johnson exchanging certain games here and there. As far as the playoffs goes, I don't think MDA lets Green play any, nor Black, & only Joe Johnson sporadically for matchups. I don't know if Tucker's minutes decreases at all or if they should. I wouldn't mind him giving 5 minutes to someone else. You want our tough/energy guys being fresh when it matters most.

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Green loses minutes, Wright is an insurance policy only per MDA so plays nights nene doesn’t as long he beats black in practice(assuming black is still here) and joe Johnson gets sporadic playing time based on matchups

5. cebu

cebu Member

GERARD GREEEED.

6. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Joe Johnson missed November due to wrist injury. I would have our top notch trainers
    rehab his wrist properly. Start playing Joe Johnson in mid March. Get the thing right.
    Go beast mode in the playoffs.

7. elmotsangtt

elmotsangtt Member

I think u should consider spurs, warriors or Celtics will sign who after we buy out the players. It is better to keep black.

8. anchel

anchel Member

Green is out for sure, and I think Wright will only play at some games, Nene will still be the backup center. Black is out.
    Then, I think D'Antoni will try to play with 10, being JJ the guy out if he plays with 9.
    We'll see more of what we saw yesterday with Ryan at center.

9. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]

I think Daytoni will have the players pick straws! They are all legit and deserve playing time!! Beautiful problem to have...;)

#29 BamBam, Feb 14, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    D-rock likes this.
  10. PigMiller

PigMiller Member

Been wondering this myself. Honestly don't know how keeping Green on the bench is justified. Once the two new guys are here, literally everybody on the roster will have a case for significant minutes.

Gonna have to leave egos in the locker room.

Hakeemtheking and D-rock like this.
  11. D-rock

D-rock Member

Agreed. That's championship culture.

#RunAsOne

photojoe and BamBam like this.
  12. davidxhz

davidxhz Member

if ariza come back, assuming Nene is playing we now have a legit 12 man rotation, let's just play all these 12 guys, there is only 240 minutes to play, so i'd say give our first tier players more time, and less time for the rest of guys in regular season, and come playoffs we can plan accordingly game to game, series to series to see who is a better match up and who is playing better

regular season
    Harden/CP3 30 minutes
    Capela/Gorden 25 minutes
    Ariza/PJ/Luc/Ryno 22 minutes,
    Nene/Green 11 minutes,
    Joe/wright 10 minutes,
    in this way, we reduce the possibility of injury because of fatigue and everybody will be fresh come playoff time

13. mario_v

mario_v Member

Wright will be the backup center. Nene will be out of the rotation.

Ariza should be out of the rotation as well. Luc, green and Joe Johnson are better.

14. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Yea, I doubt that.

15. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Green is out for the time being. I can see him being inserted if the team needs a spark of energy.

Ne will be even more limited with the addition of Wright.

16. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

Green will probably be odd man out. I think Ariza will see a reduction in his minutes but those will probably go to Johnson. Its a good problem to have. Glad Green is a team player so he will do just as good cheerleading as popping those quick release treys

17. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

How about we keep our starting line-up as is with Luc and PJ as our forwards.
    EG Ariza Ryno Nene JJ off our bench (Green and Wright too)?
    That’s the best bench I’ve ever supported.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  18. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

This seems like the best way to go about it... but knowing politics and MDA.... I don't know if it will go down like that.

19. HOUSTON2017

HOUSTON2017 Member

if Joe Johnson signs he will get minutes thats for sure (especially with his relationship with Datoni

bilaal14 likes this.
  20. vince

vince Member

MDA has his work cut out for him. I think that matchups will determine the depth rotation per game.

Nene, Joe Johnson, Gordon, Green, Wright, Anderson will likely play less minutes than they might want, but having fresh legs will allow them to be more efficient when they play.

Harden, Paul, Capela are the heavy lifters.

Tucker, Luc, Ariza will be used in many different combinations to keep defensive presence; as they can play defense and shoot the 3.