1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who Gets Cut?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Moonscope, Oct 9, 2014.

1. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

As much as I like Cisco, for this team- he is going to have to go

Bev / Canaan / Johnson(D-League)
    Harden / Terry / Daniels
    Ariza / Pap
    TJ / Adrien / Black / Capela (D-League)
    Howard / DMO / Dorsey

If Bev goes down surely a few guys can step up- Terry/Harden can do some PG duty and maybe Daniels can learn some

I'd like to Keep Ish and Cisco, there just isn't space- we have got to be front heavy as our back court isnt nearly as weak

We like to play small-ball so Daniels can play a few mins at SF if need be or go big and put TJ there for a short time period- Harden can even play a few there is absolutely nessisary

2. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

We can send Capela to Europe... if we cut him.

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I hope the NBA considers having a 16 man roster in the near future

4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Or allows rookie or 2nd year contracts committed to D-League to not count against final roster count. Sort of like a red shirt freshman rule.

IMO, each team should get at least 2 red shirt roster spots. Maybe have a rule where there is a deadline to bring them over if you have an open official roster spot. So in that case a player like say Joey Dorsey goes down in a season ending injury, you trade a player to open a spot, or you do a two for one trade, and then you can bring in one of those red shirt rookies over by a certain deadline.

Doing something like this would show that the NBA is truly committed to actually developing you players instead of cycling them out every two years. It also would drastically improve the D-league if you know every team has two players that are committed to the team for at least half a season.

1 person likes this.
  5. finsraider

finsraider Member

I would agree with Bima that Dorsey and Canaan won't be cut. Traded maybe, but not cut.

Here's how I see things working out:

If Ish beats out Canaan for the backup PG spot, then Morey will shop Canaan for a protected 2nd (essentially nothing).

If Covington beats out Garcia, then Garcia will be cut, and vice versa.

Dorsey isn't going anywhere.

Last spot is between Black and Adrien. Loser gets cut.

So far, this is how things look:

Bev / Ish / Johnson
    Harden / Daniels / Terry
    Ariza / Papanikolaou / Garcia
    TJones / Adrien / Capela
    Howard / DMo / Dorsey

6. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

I like your thinking here, but I will also add Garcia into the mix.

Papa is doing well and improving, that means the value of Garcia in this team is decreasing, experienced vet is overrated, what we need is toughness and defense.

7. finsraider

finsraider Member

Oh, and Ish-Harden looked really good together. You could see the chemistry.

I do wonder if this is a bit of a test to see how Harden works with a distributing PG....

8. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Also, judging by the feedbacks from the camp, Ish is miles ahead of Cannan so unless somehow Cannan will pull a miracle in the rest of the preseason games, I think he is gone also, just hope Morey can dump him to the 76ers for nothing in return, that's the best scenario.

9. bongman

bongman Member

Possibly. I personally feel that it is more of.. if Bev gets into foul trouble, how will he fit with Harden and the starting unit? Having James handle the rock puts fear in the opponents heart as they will have to think of ways to stop either his passing, shooting and drives to the basket without fouling. That in itself can throw off their defensive scheme. A different distributor might not have that effect.

10. Rockets025

Rockets025 Rookie

I agree.

I feel like ish is gonna be a good fit for harden. Harden is normally out there with the second unit for 6-7 minutes a game. Having a play maker of the bench out there with harden will be good to keep the office steady while bev, ariza, and howard hit the bench

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

the site of ish smith air balling a free throw in the first preseason game won't go away :(

12. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

ish wont make the team

no defense, and he cant shoot. sorry bud

13. finsraider

finsraider Member

Ish is a good contrast to Beverley. Bev's strength is on defense, and he's mostly a spot up shooter on offense. Ish is more of a floor general. I think they could play well together.

14. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

LOL @ people STILL thinking Garcia's going to get cut.

15. emiles76

emiles76 Member

GanjaRocket is correct, Ish won't make the team because he can't shoot the three or play D.

16. rocketsmetalspd

The only one on your roster list that I would seriously and cut and replace with Tarik Black is Garcia.

17. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Let me guess, you probably made a same post last year for Reggie Williams also?

18. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Go watch any Fitzpatrick highlight and everything will be alright.

19. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Capela is under contract for the Rockets so he can't go to Europe unless the Rockets waive him and make him a FA.

Highly unlikely that they cut Dorsey. Black was a leading candidate to get cut but he's played well in the first two games.

20. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

How do you figure that, there's zero similiraties between the two..