1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who Gets Cut?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Moonscope, Oct 9, 2014.

1. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

I have a feeling Adrien is going to get cut, just because he's less expensive than Dorsey..

2. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

While I like Tarik Black's chances of making the team at this point, it's still not a given that he will.

New D-League rules allow teams to select up to FOUR (4) players cut from their affiliated NBA teams' training camp rosters (up from 3 players in prior years). So far, it looks like the Vipers will be selecting Akil Mitchell, Geron Johnson and Akeem Richmond.

The Iowa Energy (the Memphis Grizzlies' D-League affiliate) has priority rights to Earl Clark over the Vipers at this point, by virtue of the Grizzlies having Clark in training camp longer than the Rockets have. Only if the Energy do not select Clark as one of their 4 Training Camp Allocation players will the Viper be able to do so.

This leaves another potential Training Camp Allocation spot for the Vipers. I'm not saying that it WILL be Black, but it COULD be.

1 person likes this.
  3. hooroo

hooroo Member

If Black is cut before opening night. Are the Rockets allowed to re-sign this season?

4. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Someone mentioned Clark could be heading to D-league and that's why Morey took him off the wire, what do you think the chance of this will happen?

I think very rare for a vet like him will agree to sign to a D-league contract this way?

5. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Also can you clarify the rule on the protected D-league player?

I read something like : if the player was signed with the main team in training camp OR even during the season and got cut, same rule will be applied.

Is this true?

Say if Clark will agree to a Vipers contract and like you said eventually got claimed by Memphis, can the Rockets sign another player during the season (assume they will cut down to 14 first), and then release him to the Vipers?

6. mikeyharris

mikeyharris Member

@EricPincus: Houston Rockets waive Earl Clark, Robert Covington, Geron Johnson and Akeem Richmond @BBallInsiders

7. Someguy1229

Someguy1229 Member

Why would we waive Earl Clark? He's not going to the D-League.

8. NotChandlerParsons

Why not? Failed to make Grizzlies. Has bounced around the league a ton. Seems like a fair chance he will end up there.

9. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

McHale said he wanted to have a look at him. I am surprised that they would waive him that quickly.

10. p10maggs

p10maggs Member

2 weeks ago I was sold on okay morey is bringing all these guys to really drive up the competitiveness in practice - which I thought was a great idea especially the youngsters.

But I officially have no idea what's going on now. Possibly a trade but just seems far fetched right now

11. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Maybe Morey can swing a deal for an upgrade at the PF spot ..... T.Jones is just .... bad more often than not & DMo fits better coming off the bench , at least in my opinion.

I cant see an trades happening .... unless the Rockets give up an asset to dump a guaranteed contract to a team with cap space for rent. Really hard to make multiplayer trades when everyone is cutting down their rosters ....

12. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Maybe Morey is signing and then waiving guys to try to drive up the value of the crap he already has on the roster so he can trade them. Random GM - "hey, Morey just waived Earl Clark, that must mean TJones is better than him. We have to get this guy."

13. Swag

Swag Member

how many more cuts do have to make

14. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

It was 5.

If we made 4, how many are left???

15. hooroo

hooroo Member

Two

Bev, Canaan, Smith
    Harden, Terry, Daniels, Johnson
    Ariza, Pap, Garcia
    Jones, Donuts, Adrien
    Howard, Black, Dorsey, Ndumba /17 players

Released: Powell, Mitchell, G. Johnson, Covington, Clark, Richmond.

16. crimsonghost

crimsonghost Member

smith and adiren or dorsey will be cut imo

17. saleem

I think Adrein and Smith will be the last to be cut. Canaan's shooting is improving, he probably will be retained. I wish Adrein will be retained and Garcia will be cut or traded. It's a pity that the Rockets could not acquire a young Cisco.

18. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Where is Capella on your list

19. saleem

Ndumba is Capela's middle name.

20. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

[​IMG]