1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can Embiid and the Sixers hold off elimination in Game 5? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Who faced tougher defenders/defenses? Jordan or Harden? Debate/Poll

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Air Canada, Sep 1, 2019.

?

Who faced tougher defenders/defenses?

1. Harden

2. Jordan

3. Jordan faced tougher defenders

4. Jordan faced tougher defenses

5. Harden faced tougher defenders

6. Harden faced tougher defenses

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

Well then you missed the point.

I made it clear what I think and made my case...I was looking for what many think and if otherwise a real argument for why... a response that simply states "MJ is better" or "guys were bigger, stronger, physical, etc" isn't an argument and way less than what I mentioned in counter...

2. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

That argument can be easily disputed because of Harden's ability to handle the ball at a level greater than any of that era combined with his ridiculous level of shooting the ball from range and off the dribble.... the defense on perimeter jumpers was absolutely much more lax and way more uncontested... Harden would thrive due to that very reason and while still possessing the ability to attack and take the contact when needed... And look at other perimeter scorers who were high on the scoring lists in MJs era to easily dispute this notion... None of them could shoot the ball like Harden.. the closest would be Reggie Miller and that was mostly off catch and shoot... Reggie also got to the line quite a bit for his playstyle cuz he was crafty and he wasn't tougher than Harden or physically more durable... we know Harden is as crafty as they come and that translates.

3. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

Better playmaker
    Better 3PT shooter
    Better FT shooter
    Better ball handler
    Greater impact without another star player

Yeah not only is it credible its true.... Harden is a better offensive player... MJ is the better player though because of his clear edge in defense and being close enough to him offensively.

DavidRocket and vlaurelio like this.
  4. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

5. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

Sure... Now find me some games of MJ being "fouled 6 times in one play"... Cuz Im not seeing anything close to this for MJ and thats even in the playoffs against the Bad Boy Pistons... Matter fact find me some games of this happening to any star perimeter player of that era... Mitch Richmond, Mullin, Clyde, Dominque, Bernard, Dale Ellis, Alex English, Reggie, etc

6. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

And you fail without ever trying.... Quite often.

7. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

Tell these "fans" to find a safe space.... or another team if its ohhhhh so harddd to find a reason to be a fan.

8. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

Oh I know who he is, but many do not... he was a chucker and apparently an overrated player by you if you thought this was a good post... LOL... Dude really gassed Michael Adams...

9. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

Nah the perimeter defenders in MJs era were definitely shorter in stature.... and also had shorter wingspans as you said.

10. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

The fact that you don't see how this benefits elite iso players much more than now is laughable.

11. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

People have this false idea that defense was tougher in the 90's and it wasnt. Guys are also more talented now. Imagine a stepback 3 or euro step in the 90's Harden would have destroyed the league then.

Air Canada likes this.
  12. bmelo

bmelo Member

Now go watch FIBA tournament and see how defense is there. Jordan played defenses closer to this. There's couple of guys right now that admitted that scoring in nba is easier than in euroleague and you wanna compare it to 90s :)

13. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Lol even melo was scoring in the olympics with ease

roslolian, Blurr#7 and Air Canada like this.
  14. HP3

HP3 Member

Okay, I think misspoke my bad. Im not talking about the progress part, that's fine. Im just saying the disrespectful part is calling anyone dumb or saying they're a redneck living in a shack or whatever.

roslolian likes this.
  15. HP3

HP3 Member

Go look at Playoff Stats and get back to me. Most players are better now, I disliked how you presented your evidence...a lot lol, but I never disagreed. But if you are going to compare players across era's you have to it relative to their era they played in.

However when you compare the greats, its different. You think if MJ was born this era and having all the technology and schemes available to him, he would be worse? Nah.

#115 HP3, Sep 8, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
    BaselineFade and Blurr#7 like this.
  16. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

So glad to see you concede the facts that Harden is better at all that I mentioned and thus a better offensive player than MJ...

Also MJ has Harden by ppg in the offs due to taking 5 more shots per game, but Harden has better efficiency and more assists per game... And as I said... Harden has also had greater impact without another star player.

Jordan's record without Pippen: 154-170 in regular season, 1-9 in playoffs...

And you're gonna say that he didn't have good teams then or help... Or that he lost to a stacked team... Well yall wouldn't give Harden that excuse.... Also Harden has never been swept in his career nor has he missed the playoffs ever....

Harden never had a team as good as the best Bulls teams nor did he play with a player as good as prime Scottie since being a starter.

Although this is you just diverting from the fact that Harden is a better offensive player than MJ... I'm talking about skillset... He wasn't better at any of what I mentioned.. plenty of players during his time that were better at some of those individual skills and technology or schemes weren't an excuse... And defensive schemes today are tougher, then back then for ISO players... Thats why I think his numbers would be a little worse today albeit still great.

#116 Air Canada, Sep 8, 2019
  17. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

Were they a couple of NBA superstars? And if not.... You believed them? :D

18. HP3

HP3 Member

I didnt "concede" anything, I never made an assertion. No he isnt a better scorer and ACTUALLY....he's might not be a better play maker either, go look at Ben Taylor's podcast on top 10 playmakers and get back to me. And just because you get more assists a game doesnt mean you are a better play maker, that is ridiculous.

No he does not, they have the same efficiency with Jordon having more than 10 PPG than Harden. It becomes apprent when you compare Harden's Houston years to MJ's Bulls years, its not comparable scoring wise. Even playmaking wise, Harden might not be better than MJ.

I have always given Harden the benefit of the doubt for teammates ALWAYS. I think he's best player in the game and I want him to get the chip bad. But that doesnt mean Harden is comparable to damn MJ yet. No chips and still hasnt put up a PO run comparable to MJ.

Really dude? . Harden played with KD and Westbrook and played the worse out of all three of them in the finals. Should I make that a point against Harden? Honestly in the Warriors series( he was our best player in that post season but this is true) if Harden performed better in game 5....and even game 7. We win, but he did not. Game 5 especially dude wen 1-11 from 3 and Cp had to do more and you know the rest..... or how about Game 6 of the Spurs seres? Mj played like that in any PO game? And he lost in the first round to the CHAMPION CELTICS btw and the year after to the CHAMPION Pistons( i think, feel free to correct me there) And Cp of two years ago was a top 10 player in the league, and is a comparable teammate to Pippen. I know Harden is amazing and I think he can be in the top 10 players when he's done, but he hasnt done enough yet.

He isnt a better offensive player though CHECK THE PLAYOFF STATS. And for at least two of those you either wrong or dont know for sure. He's arguably not a better playmaker than MJ. And give me a break without the greater impact without the star stuff alright. You have no way of knowing that. Even Lebron didnt make the POs last year averging 28 and 8.

All this being said, I do think Harden has had the least help of any modern Superstar. And as his career goes on if he can do great things with Westbrook, this might be a different(result will probably be the same imo) convo with Harden having a much stronger argument.

#118 HP3, Sep 8, 2019
  19. Reeko

Reeko Member

A couple of guys like who? Very many NBA players would lead the euroleague in scoring quite easily. All those below average athletes are gonna hold them? Lol, they’d get treated like babies.

Mike James was the leading scorer in Euroleague last season. The same Mike James who plays in the Drew League and Rico Hines runs looking like a fringe NBA player at best. He played with the Suns for 1 season and was very underwhelming.

Harden would dominate the 90s. No guard back then had his combination of ball handling, shooting, strength, skill level, and creativity. Place Harden in the 90s and he’s the 2nd leading scorer behind MJ, and you’d also see a huge uptick in ankle reconstruction surgeries.

icewill36 and Air Canada like this.
  20. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

So then you concede Harden is the better 3pt shooter, Ft shooter, and ball handler then?

I didn't claim that or I'd think Russ was a better playmaker than Harden(he isn't), but assists is a part of it... Harden is pretty clearly a better passer and creator for his teammates than MJ... MJ had to learn how to be a better playmaker... Harden was a natural playmaker from the jump.... If you watch them play MJ didn't possess the vision of Harden nor was he even adept at making the passes Harden is capable of regularly.... Harden can make all the passes... pocket passes, PnR passes, lob passes, lead passes, transition outlet passes, skip passes, drive n kick passes, etc.... at an elite level... MJ wasn't on that level as a playmaker for others.... Passing angles and lanes are also harder and more varied in todays game... in a no zone defense league you have to do hard doubles which makes the passes easier to read and react for a player in isolation especially.

Nah and MJ scored 5 more points not 10....and On 5 more FGA.

Idk why you would look at both of their games and think MJ was a better passer or "playmaker"... Harden and LeBron also are both better playmakers than MJ.... Its pretty clear Harden is the best playmaking 2 in NBA history.

I'm not even arguing he's the best player in the game or any of that... so that's fair, but not my point... that was more of a general response to what many would say on here if not you though.

He was the third option and got the least opportunity of the 3 of them... Idk why that would be the comparison as opposed to when he became the #1 starter.

CP was still elite 2 years ago, but he wasn't on Pippen's level at that point.. Too injury prone(missed games in the season and playoffs) and not as versatile... Harden with a Pippen type player would've likely beat the Warriors both of the last 2 seasons.... His defense and playmaking would've been more valuable... And I'm not even getting to players like Grant, Rodman, or Kukoc.

The stats Ive been referencing were playoff stats...lol... Yeah LeBron also isn't as good as Harden anymore.

I agree and that can't be overlooked when you make arguments centered around chips or great playoff success.

#120 Air Canada, Sep 8, 2019