1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

who else is sick of x10

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jamma34, Jul 10, 2001.

1. jamma34

jamma34 Member

it seems like every website i goto has a pop up for this blasted camera. how do i get rid of it?? you know how annoying it is to see that thing 20 times a day?

------------------
    president of the sleepy floyd to hall of fame club.

http://www.it-is-truth.org

http://members.fortunecity.com/omar369

2. mr_oily

mr_oily Member

I was just about to start the very same thread!

I'm so annoyed by it, I'm boycotting it! Never buy one!

------------------
    This space left intentionally blank...

3. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

At first, when I saw the advertisement pop up, I went to check it out as the idea of wireless webcams was intriguing for whatever reason....being security or whatever. However, after some research into the X10, I basically arrived at the conclusion that the technology sucks versus a wired webcame. Anything from electrical interference to video at 30fps which is more like still shots than anything else. The site touts it as this great webcam technology and they supposedly have some reviews to back it up(yeah..reliable). I have read that the software that comes with it is terrible as well.

But, in the end, everywhere you go these days on the web, some stupid x10 window is opening and I always have to close them down. It is highly annoying. So, why is it X10 is so highly advertised and other products are not? I don't know but I'm sick to death of any site spawning extra window advertisements.

Surf

------------------

4. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

There was a great story on the "slide under" pop up recently on NPR. They spoke to a number of ad people who said that not only are pop ups not generating revenues for companies, they are backfiring and causing people to boycott sites and the advertisers who use the pop ups.

They added that even those who don't go to the extreme of boycotting have learned to just simply ignore the ads.

The theory was from advertisers that before people quit out of a browser application, they would close each window meaning they would have to see the ad underneath. What they didn't realize is that most people don't close individual windows and just quit rendering their ads nothing more than annoying.

------------------
    How the hell should I know why God would allow the Holocaust. I don't even know how the electric can opener works. - from Hannah and Her Sisters

5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

There are a couple of utilities that automatically close those windows. I'm not sure how well they work, though. Maybe somebody else on the BBS has used them. You may want to do a search for them using a search engine. There was also another thread in this forum recently that may have touched on this.

------------------
    "Yes, it's true. Kelvin Cato DOES have plenty of heart. I think the downside of Hakeem's six weeks absence is the upside of Kelvin Cato's emergence as a power in the NBA." jscmedia - 12/2/99 7:13pm : the off-season is truly a great time to reflect.

6. Major

Major Member

They added that even those who don't go to the extreme of boycotting have learned to just simply ignore the ads.

Maybe so, but ask anyone, and I bet they know what X10 is. The ad campaign is accomplishing it's branding and name-recognition purpose. Sure, some people may boycott it -- but if they didn't know about it, they'd never have bought the product anyway.

The boycott and all the talk about the ad just keeps building more name recognition and publicity for them. Then, if they ever announce they are getting rid of the popups, people will love them for it *and* know who they are.

------------------
    http://www.swirve.com ... more fun than a barrel full of monkeys and midgets.

7. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

8. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

DoD,

I do remember reading about one of those programs, I can't remember if it was in Maxium or maybe on the internet.

My question is, with 528 or whatever bit security IE can support, they can't prevent popups? I swear Netscape had something built in for this. If I can find a half way decent "anti-popup" util, then perhaps I can surf TheRocketGuy's site without a billions ads.

BTW, That damn X10 is bugging the hell out of me too!

Here is an ok one I found. Goto download.com and search for Analogx POW. Its a freeware program and you customize whichever ads you want to see. It's also relatively small and works decent enough.
    ------------------
    "Bada Bing!"

[This message has been edited by Space Ghost (edited July 10, 2001).]

9. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

I must admit though, I do own a couple of X10 products... I have a wireless MP3 transmitter.. It hooks up to my sound card and my home stereo and boom, instant MP3's on my home stereo, wireless! I also have an X10 camera, not the totally wireless one, but a color one and it works pretty good.

But I must admit that those pop up ad are annoying AS HELL!!!

rH

------------------
    INSERT NAIL HERE >> X << FOR NEW MONITOR

join the club! Rockets Psychedelic Groove House Club on Yahoo!

10. Timing

Timing Member

I've been using a program called PopUp Killer that I found on CNET and it's excellent. Haven't seen a pop up ad in about a year! [​IMG]

------------------
    First the Sopranos and now Eddie Griffin... thank you New Jersey!

11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I've seen the ads, but they've annoyed me so much, I just close them and don't bother going to the site. The X10 protocol is just that - a protocal for communication. So is this X10 company just using the protocol name? Weird.

Oh well, they'll not get any of my money, so there. [​IMG] [​IMG]

------------------
    "Yes, it's true. Kelvin Cato DOES have plenty of heart. I think the downside of Hakeem's six weeks absence is the upside of Kelvin Cato's emergence as a power in the NBA." jscmedia - 12/2/99 7:13pm : the off-season is truly a great time to reflect.