1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who do you want to draft?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by JMAD21, Jan 8, 2011.

1. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

Dream scenario:

14. Chris Singleton
    23. Josh Selby

2. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

no one here can evaluate prospects better than the Rockets can (link to a post if you have done it in the past)

I want to draft someone higher than Morey's pick on the draftboard (i.e. last year we got PPat at #6 on Morey's board with the 14th pick).

3. Commodore

I bet we get a player that has flown under the radar because of injury or the system he was in, much like PPat, who largely deferred to Cousins and Wall.

4. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Commodore-Kind of like Honeycutt IMO.

5. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I would seriously trade #14+#23+#38 plus Memphis future pick for the opportunity to move up and get Kanter or Williams. I would probably also trade up to get Brandon Knight because of his talent, and then look to move Goran. We really need to come out of the draft with some sort of new significant building block.

Derrick Williams please.

6. CXbby

CXbby Member

I know a lot of us like Kanter, but really none of us have seen him aside from highlight clips. Draftexpress has up some video break down from a few of his prep school games. Remember, this is against high school competition:

<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/fgkmxjrAWnI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Mu96EoByub8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I have to say, this is my first real look at him aside those Hoop Summit highlights, and I am thoroughly unimpressed. The videos obviously weren't flattering, but it was more the details. The offensive video really highlighted his average athleticism. Meanwhile the defensive one was far more alarming for me personally. He showed an utter lack of defensive positioning or instincts, and was hardly a presence at all. A lot of that can be taught and improved on over time, but what alarmed me the most was the lack of a motor in the rebounding/defense clips. Most of the time he was just standing there flatfooted. And motor is something you either have or you don't. I don't know, maybe he could improve like Yao did, and maybe he is just adjusting to a new culture and style of game. But still I'm pretty sure Yao could have dominated a couple teenagers when he first came over.

To me, it is looking more and more like the best pick in the 3-8 range will be Jan Vesley.

#1246 CXbby, Jun 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2011
  7. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

That's why i was saying Williams is the safest bet. Kanter is to have knee problems and looks to stiff when he plays.

What do you think of combining picks #23 and #38 with --> http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=3u8lh5a

For pick #4? And the contract of Davis which i'm sure Cleveland has no interest to be tied to?

Then with pick 4, 14 and than 16 from this --> http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=5w9ckxg

Perhaps we can swoop in and take on Davis for pick #4 while removing Miller/Williams.

And then swallowing Nocioni with the 16th pick using our TE. Remember Sixers are trying to sell the team.

Then we can have Thabeet, Biyombo, Singleton, Brooks with massive wing spans, disrupting passes, forcing teams to shoot over the top of their length.

Just saying...

8. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

The two key words here....high school. He was a more dominant player during the hoop summit. He also played in the summit with a hurt back and still managed to dominate other draftees that were playing to the tune of 34 points in just 21 minutes of play. The entire year he was out, everyone expected him to be out of shape. Not only was he in shape, but he out performed most of the other draftees who attended the combine. Earlier reports were that his so called knee problem was blown out of proportion. Possibly a ploy to lower his stock(imo). All of the things shown in that video can (and somewhat has) improve with time.

9. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

First off, i don't know how you made that 1st trade work, but good job. If the Rockets can make any of those trades work with the other teams(which i really doubt) then by all means, they should jump on them.

10. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Who's not surprised OHMSS is not responding? He p*****s out of arguments when he's backed into a corner or just throws out "you know nothing about basketball". We could be arguing about if ballboys are fairly compensated in the Euroleague and he would still say "you know nothing about basketball". What a pretentious douche.

11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I didn't follow college hoops much this past season, so, to those who have, particularly those who followed USC: Why shouldn't the Rockets consider drafting Vucevic at 14?

The guy is legitimately huge and long (6'11'', 260 lbs, 9'4.5'' standing reach-- only .5 inch shorter than the likes of Shaq and Thabeet and 1 inch longer than Dwight Howard). He is a proven rebounder in college and good shooter for a big, which tend to translate to the next level. His verticals suck, but when your standing reach is merely 7.5 inches below the 10' rim level, I don't know if you need super leaping abilities to be somewhat effective in challenging shots. His "horizontals" (sprint, lane agility numbers) seem to be pretty good.

12. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

I'll have to take a look at him if he's close what Troy Murphy or Okur used to be he might be worth looking at or even Channing Frye.

13. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Draftin Derrick Williams and then goin with Kemba or Brandon Knight with the #4 would make more sense for Cavs imo. Don't see Kyrie havin that more upside over these two to let Derrick pass.

RudyTBag likes this.
  14. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

Wow i'm impressed. http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=41019

This guy reminds me of Kevin McHale i think both of their games were similar. It's just a coincidence that (if taken by Houston) he gets to work with him. And he's only 20. He put up better numbers than Patterson in college. If he's around @#23 take him for sure. In fact, his game is also similar to Vlade Divac as he had some good assist games.

15. Commodore

Yeah he was one of the tallest and heaviest players at the combine, and only 6% body fat. Apparently he has impressed at work outs.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Nikola-Vucevic-5828/#ixzz1OpGj93dc
    http://www.draftexpress.com

16. anchel

anchel Member

What are the differences between Vucevic and Hawes, who has been strongly criticized by the Sixers fans this year, and by the Kings fans in past years because of his defensive and rebounding fragility?

About those Kanter videos, I challenge anyone to analyze videos of different draft prospects playing at HS... When you're that superior it's normal to relax / not pay too much attention. Much more at that age. I don't like what Givony is doing with Kanter.

17. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=20077

2011 NBA Draft: Top Defenders

As we have seen over the past week or so with LeBron James in the NBA Finals, too often a player's stat line is used to evaluate talent rather than a player's impact on the game. The ability to shut down opposing players on the defensive end of the floor is typically an overlooked commodity in the eyes of fans, but most college players will have to earn their playing time, at least early in their careers, by showing the ability to guard. Here are, in alphabetical order, the top five defensive players in the 2011 NBA Draft.

Bismack Biyombo, PF/C, Congo, 6-9, 240 lbs.A relative unknown coming into this season, Bismack Biyombo has done more for his draft stock than any other player in this draft over the past 12 months. A freak athlete with an NBA-ready body, Biyombo has put together a terrific, albeit short, resume which has made him a likely top-10 pick in the 2011 NBA Draft.

This season, while playing for Baloncesto Fuenlabrada in the Spanish ACB League (the top league in the world outside of the NBA), the 18-year-old big man immediately made his presence felt, leading the league in blocked shots, 2.3 per game, despite playing just 17 minutes per contest.

His abilities don't stop there, however. Biyombo plays with great intensity on every possession and is a competitor in the truest sense of the word. His 7-7 wingspan (you read that correctly), non-stop motor, outstanding strength and explosive leaping ability combine to make the Congolese big man a presence as on the ball defender, a weakside shot-blocker and on the glass.

Kawhi Leonard, SF, San Diego State, 6-7, 227 lbs.After bursting onto the radar of NBA teams during a surprising freshman campaign at San Diego State, Kawhi Leonard solidified himself as one of the top defensive players in the country and a surefire lottery pick this season for the Aztecs.

Despite being a deft ball-handler and slick passer, Leonard earns his keep on the defensive end of the of the court, where he uses his long (7-3 wing span), sturdy frame, tremendous athleticism and huge, quick hands to pester opposing players at multiple positions.

Leonard is a tireless worker on the defensive end of the floor, fighting through screens while showing the ability to switch and defend any the two, three or four spots. He ranked amongst the best rebounders in the country this year, using his nose for the ball, extremely high energy level and ability to get off the floor, particularly on his second jump, quickly.

DeAndre Liggins, SG/SF, Kentucky, 6-6, 202 lbs.Once considered one of the top players in his high school class, DeAndre Liggins transitioned from hopeful star to tremendous role player during his three-year career at the University of Kentucky.

The one-time point guard showed maturity in taking a back-seat to top recruits John Wall and Brandon Knight over the past two seasons and, rather than sulking, became an integral piece in Coach John Calipari's Final Four puzzle in 2011. The 6-6 swingman became Kentucky's defensive stopper, defending the opponent's top perimeter player night in and night out as junior, a major upgrade from the season prior.

Long and muscular, Liggins plays the passing lanes well to create turnovers (which regularly turn in to transition opportunities) and, as he has continued to embrace his role as a defensive stopper, has developed into multi-positional defensive presence, capable of guarding point guards, shooting guards and small forwards.

David Lighty, SG/SF, Ohio State, 6-6, 216 lbs. David Lighty, a fifth-year senior out of Ohio State, has made his mark on the collegiate game by becoming the ultimate role player for the Buckeyes while playing alongside seven (if you include Jared Sullinger) first-round draft picks.

The experience and savvy Lighty possesses will go a long way toward making him capable of immediately contributing at the NBA level. The 6-6 swingman is capable of guarding at least two positions (shooting guard and small forward) at the NBA level, and possibly more depending on match-ups.

Not exceptionally quick laterally, Lighty does a tremendous job of staying in front of his opponent with his high basketball I.Q., understanding of angles and consistent energy and effort on the defensive end of the floor.

Chris Singleton, SF/PF, Florida State, 6-9, 230 lbs.One of the best defensive players in the country over the past three seasons, Florida State junior Chris Singleton is one of the rare players that has shown the ability to defend every position, from one to five, on the basketball floor.

Singleton can simply do it all on the defensive end of the floor, gobbling up steals and rebounds like the Cookie Monster in front of a bag of Oreos, while proving to be one of the best shot-blockers in the country.

Equally effective on the ball or off, the 6-9 defensive dynamo can play the passing lanes, block shots from the weak side, defend the post and stay in front of perimeter players. He is the most versatile defensive player in this class, even defending point guards as part of the USA Men's Select Team, which trained with the USA Men's National Team in Las Vegas last July.

Honorable Mention: Jimmy Butler, SF, Marquette; Nolan Smith, PG/SG, Duke; Iman Shumpert, PG/SG, Georgia Tech; Malcolm Lee, PG, UCLA

Please, no more from OOHMS on his so called knowledge of basketball. No way i take his or her word over someone whose life is basketball. So much for Baloncesto Fuenlabrada being a mid level Spanish league.:rolleyes:

18. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

coachbadlee, you need to spend less time online and more time finding a part-time job to cover that $40 fee you're about to owe Clutch.. :)

19. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Ahaaa funny! You got jokes!:(:rolleyes:

20. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

The ACB is NOT "the league in the world outside the NBA". Evey time one of those idiot writers says that, they just confirm what true hacks they are.

1 person likes this.