1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who do you want to draft?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by JMAD21, Jan 8, 2011.

1. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

How did Kawhi end up as Nr.4 on the latest espn mock?:confused:

2. cdain3

cdain3 Member

2013 will be loaded with centers.

Andre Drummond 6'10 275

Isaiah Austin 7'0 200

Cameron Ridley 6'10 230

Rakeem Christmas 6'10 222

DaJuan Coleman 6'10 280

3. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

Biyombo is a PF. Motiejunas is a PF. Nogueira and Valanciunas might be centers some day but for awhile are definite more PFs. Kanter is a 4/5.

Not one of them is a natural center.

4. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

I've done research on Drummond and Ridley in the past, and id love to land either of them. I just don't know if I could wait 2 more years to try to find a center. Some people speculated trading kevin martin to the twolves for their pick this year. I wouldn't mind trading him to cleveland, minny, toronto, or charlotte for an unprotected 1st rounder in 2013.

EDIT- that's if we couldn't get a top 5 pick this year to draft Kanter or Biyombo. Even if they don't pan out right away, top 5 picks hold a lot of trade value (derrick favors).

#804 Ricksmith, May 15, 2011
    Last edited: May 15, 2011
  5. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Here some info to get an idea of who might get picked where

Utah is really interested in Donatas Motiejunas at 6th

Wizards seem to be interested in Jan Vesely at 4th

of course this can all change if with lottery tomorrow, but as of now, we can at least see Motiejunas and Vesely being drafted in the upper half of the lottery.

6. DragonGirl

DragonGirl Member

Why does Jazz want Donatas when they have Favors to develop, plus they have nice PF in Millsap? Jazz should give us #6 so we can have Biyombo.

7. Ricksmith

Are the Jazz gonna try to make Donatas a small forward? Maybe they're exploring trading Favors or Milsap? Either way, it would absolutely kill me if the Jazz pick donatas and he ended up being the next Dirk.

8. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Yeah I don't really get their interest in Donatas, because he can't play SF and isn't a center. The guy is pure PF, but with Milsap, Jefferson and Favors on the roster it doesn't make much sense.

With that said they could move Favors to Center, he measures a solid 6'10 with a 7'4 wingspan and is very explosive. They can most certainly get away with it, if thats the route they choose to go.
    ----------------------------------------

Also some other info: if Cleveland doesn't get the #1 pick, they're going to take a deep look at Brandon Knight

9. Ricksmith

Can't remember if it has been brought up or not (forgive me if it has), but what about 6'11'' Jeremy Tyler?

He was the #1 ranked high schooler for 2010 over Harrison Barnes, Jared Sullinger, Tristan Thompson, Josh Selby, Enes Kanter, Tobias Harris, etc. But he dropped out after 11th grade to go play overseas. He has since fell off the map in Japan, and is projected as a mid to late 2nd rounder. He was once though to be the #1 pick in this years draft just a couple of years ago. Would you use the #23 or #38 pick on him? I would definitely use the 2nd rounder on him, not so sure about using a #23 pick on him.

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=821601

10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I brought him up. I've been spamming a bit about him. See thread.

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=204145

11. rockets06

rockets06 Member

By the looks of this draft if we don't get a top guy then the draft will have seemed to be pointless. Of course our biggest weaknesses are SF and C. So I hope Morey finally comes through and trades into the top 10. We got to get the best at those positions right now being Kanter and Leonard. Both would be great. Trade players to get the deal done. Stop piling up assests for players that don't want to come to Houston. Then go on best available. It'd be fantasy to see Morey go all out for both or a combination or Kanter and Singelton. But I doubt it.

12. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

I would pick:

#14:Biyombo or Kawhi Leonard
    #23:Chris Singleton:This guy is crap offensively but a monster defensively
    #38:Keith Benson

13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Favors and Millsap will not develop into white players.

14. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

I see your point. Good natural centers are at an shortage these days and a lot of teams are playing PFs at 5. Oakafor, Varejao, Horford, Jefferson, even Stat and Aldridge play some 5.

Point is if someone like Biymobo can hold down the 5 even after being a PF its worth giving them a shot these days as long as they have some size. UNTIL we do find a solid natural 5, its a better option then overpaying the likes of D.Jordan or an injury plagued Chandler.

15. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Problem is all these guys are probably gonna be drafted earlier, except for Benson. :/

16. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Favors has identical measurements to Dwight Howard, he will be ok at C...

(Morey REALLY wanted him)

Could he be had?

17. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Dwight was a little bigger than Favors coming out, but I think Dwight's athleticism is the thing that separates them. Dwight is amazingly fluid/athletic in how he plays; Favors doesn't appear to have the same type of athleticism as Dwight possesses.

18. Rockets_4_life

I don't think I would call Dwight more athletic..

They both measured with a max vertical of 35.5 inches, and measure very similarly in lane agility(lateral quickness) and court sprints. Derrick actually has the higher no step vertical at 31.5 inches, but not by much.

I think you might be underestimating Derrick Favors athleticism. One of the reasons he was drafted so high was because of his elite athleticism.

As far measurements, Dwight is only a quarter of an inch taller, and half an inch longer in his wingspan. So nothing really significant.

19. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

I think Jonas Valanciunas might be our realistic pick at 14 BTW is he still in this years draft?

20. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Watch them play. Dwight is more fluid/able to explode off the floor much easier than Favors is. Dwight appears to be much more coordinated. Yes, they measured the same standing straight and jumping -- but what about in game situations when they're forced to move their feet on PnRs and contest shots? Dwight's athleticism leaps off the page in those situations; IMO, Favors' does not.