1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who do you think the Rockets should try trading for?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by McGradySNKT, Jul 2, 2006.

Tags:
  1. htownbball

htownbball Member

all of yall are r****ded. miles,jack,jr smith...they solve none of our problems and woudl require too much in return. we need maybe 3 players, and thats all we can afford because we have so little depth to trade with.

we need to resign bogans
    sign james with mle
    get reggie evans with the TE in a s&t. i think he's pretty cheap, so we could use the smaller TE.
    get a backup PG with the larger TE. you can say all you want about james, but he is no PG.

2. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Possible........... Mike James. JR Smith and
    Jackson from the Pacers
    sign Cato to vets min.

3. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Lol. Way to introduce yourself to the board. The internet tough-guy routine doesn't garner much respect around here. Enjoy your stay.

4. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

After signing Mike James, I'd try to trade Rafer Alston for Melvin Ely (restricted).
    Charlotte has expressed not picking up his option with their load of PF's and may try to get value from SnT's of Brevin Knight and Ely.

He's 6'10 and 260 lbs, long, athletic and young but his numbers aren't great and worse of a player than Wilcox imo. However, I think this might be more of a realistic scenario for the Rox.

5. htownbball

htownbball Member

wasnt trying to be a tough guy, just stating that outrageous trades for dmiles, jr smith, or josh childress and other guys like that would serve no purpose in helping the team win. add in the fact we have nothing to trade. we just traded swift, why would we want a dmiles or jr smith? hmm...lets trade luther head for smith. yea that would help alot.

6. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Its about risk vs. reward. J.R. Smith has worked himself into a position where the team is basically guarenteed to trade him at some point. When that happens a player's trade value isn't exactly high meaning he can be had for cheap, which is where the "risk vs. reward" argument comes into play.

Smith is still on his rookie contract meaning he could dealt for draft picks or small contracts like a Luther Head or somebody along those lines.

He's just so young and talented. Considering, Battier doesn't exactly have a clear set position on this team since most consider him more of a 3/4 than a 2/3, we could use a tall, athletic actual shooting guard on our roster. 6'6" 220 lbs, one of the more athletic guards in the league that can shoot a high percentage from 3-pt range and possesses all the tools needed to become a quality defensive player is exactly what we need at SG.

Now, i'm not trying to make it sound like J.R. is some kind of miracle/answer in disguise since afterall, he is still only 20-years-old and still learning the game but his upside is absolutely through the roof and you really can't go wrong taking a chance on such a golden opportunity.

7. hooroo

hooroo Member

Not quite.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/azetc/articles/0625sptbriefs0625.html
    That means they're offering 3.3M for the moment. With May & Emeka being less than durable I wouldn't be surprised if they matched any offers under 5M.

8. Ryan Bowen MVP

I think Josh Smith, Childress, and Joe Johnson would be able to help any team out. They can score, guard bigger guys, and FLY. I've never seen a team without a real center get so many blocks as much as Atlanta last season. Diaw is no different, and we have seen how many holes he has filled for Pheonix. If they (Atlanta) don't trade any of those guys the Hawks will be the team to look out for in the next couple of years.

I think JR for Luther would be a good trade. But I'd rather not give up Head, I think he has the potential to be just as good next season anyway. I would rather have the both of them and giveup a 2nd round 07 pick, if N.O would be willing to do that.

9. marcooo

marcooo Member

agreed, i was thinking the exact same thing. since we don't want to trade our 1st round draft pick since it's so deep, give them the 2nd rounder. jr's trade value is so low right now that giving them the 2nd would be SWEEET.

10. WallofYao

WallofYao Member

I think we should do SnT to Toronto for Mike James, trade Juwan Howard for Darius Miles, that would add more depth. Then use our MLE to get Chris Wilcox or maybe we could use it to get Buckner and Jared Jeffries. Then we still have our small TE which we could use for Clifford Robinson. Then pick Washington from the summer squad or by any chance sign Jay Williams.

It could look like this:

Alston/James/Washington/Head
    Tmac/Head or Tmac/Buckner/Head
    Battier/Miles
    Wilcox/Robinson/Hayes or Robinson/Jeffries/Hayes
    Yao/Deke

sounds pretty good.. beacuse in the chronicle it says we might do a SnT with our big TE, and we could easily just swap players with Jho and Miles. Then we could use our MLE on either of those players. Robinson has no where else to go now, and Washington would love to be on the Rockets.

11. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

The best line-up* is actually:

PG: James/Alston
    SG: Salmons/Bogans
    SF: McGrady/Novak
    PF: Battier/Murphy/Hayes
    C: Yao/Deke

*could be better if we added Josh Childress (most likely) or KG (not likely).

12. Painting_Shade

Painting_Shade Contributing Member

I didn't mean all of them lol. that was just a list of priority.

13. m_cable

Well the most realistic option that's a good fit would be Luther + TE for Melvin Ely. He's a big bodied big man that we could use at the PF and backup C. And he looks like he might be expendable in Charlotte since they have May and Okafur, and just drafted Ryan Hollins.

Adding Luther for them would be nice since Morrison is the only guy that can make a jumpshot on that team. And he had a terrific game against them this year, and don't think that doesn't stick in a GM's mind. Lonny Baxter had a similarly great game against the Bobcats and ended up getting swapped there.

As for Ely, he could sign for exactly $4.2 with a player option for a second year. This would exactly fit our TE and give him options if he succeeds. From his end it would be a great deal since he'd be guaranteed more money than a qualifying offer but still have the ability to be an unrestricted free agent next year.

As for us, if we land Mike James with the MLE, it's either target a big man with our TE or a utility perimeter defender. And considering that Deke looks like he's on his last legs, and the fact that Juwan still appears to be our starting 4, makes me lean towards a big guy that can play either position. Not to mention that we can just bring back Bogans for backup swingman depth.

14. H-Dub

H-Dub Member

I would do a head and bogans for pj and jr unlikely they would do it but i love the potential jr brings he would be just like getting another pick but one who knows how it works!

15. hooroo

hooroo Member

Isn't Lonny Baxter back with the Rockets Summer League team?

16. m_cable

Yeah looks like the Bobcats just let him walk. But I'm saying that having a big game against a particular team couldn't hurt. I mean reading between the lines, a lot of people credit Tracy's desire to come to houston in the first place from Yao destroying their frontline in a game. So maybe Luther made an impression on their front office.

17. htownbball

htownbball Member

and how do you propose we get joe johnson or josh childress or josh smith? i dont think jr smith could help out any more than luther. theres a reason why scott wants to get rid of this kid. stromile in a 6'6 body. whoever wants darius miles is an idiot. no jumpshot, no hustle, nothing. add in the fact jvg is the coach. i just dont see why everyone wants players from losing teams that these loser teams dont want anymore. we dont have the cap space, we dont have the depth to trade, and we dont need any more of these high "potential" players who havent done squat in the league yet. we just traded a guy with a high upside in rudy for a solid vet, now why on earth would we do the opposite with trading luther for an upside guy?

18. H-Dub

H-Dub Member

Dude your not even a rookie but have you ever watched basketball! Wilcox 20/10 Yao is only 22/10 i mean your an idiot! Come on Duh 20/10 would be a big improvment but wilcox couldnt be a 20 and 10 guy if he and Yao were the only ones on the court! Gosh flippin idiot!

19. m_cable

Read that post again, say "opps, my bad", and try to move on.

20. H-Dub

H-Dub Member

Most of us would prefer you wait until yuo have made at least 50 posts to start saying that not a one of us knows what we are doing! And yea your right guys who average 6apg are never considerd pg! I think the only idiot is u!