1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who do you think CD/Rudy/JVG would pick?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Hard Rock, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Hard Rock

Hard Rock Member

now we know who still on board @ 14, as good as we know our former gm/coach, who'd be our pick had CD/Rudy - CD/JVG still in charge?

i say we'd take Luke Babbit in CD/Rudy era; CD/JVG would probably take James Anderson

I'm with Morey's choice, Patterson at #14 is like dream come true. PP is a poor man's Elton Brand now w/ a potential to be an all-star one day, especially being a teamate of Yao ;)

what's your guess?

2. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

in the CD/Rudy era we also had a two "superstars" and just wanted to surround them with good shooters.

now we want all around skilled players since the league is getting more deep and talented

3. Hard Rock

Hard Rock Member

I'm talking about THIS YEAR's draft... this draft, current roster, who CD/Rudy/JVG pick?

btw, who's the "all around skilled player" @ #14? just curious...

4. bewy

bewy Member

i think whiteside, CD always went for the obvious pick

5. roslolian

roslolian Member

PATTERSON IS THE OBVIOUS PICK. How many mocks had Whiteside before PP? 0. PP is both the impact player (JVG), the "fit" player (CD), and the best value player (DM) on the board at 14th. When he was available at the 14th the entire office exploded with delight, it was that much of a no-brainer.

The only ones who don't like it are those who had there hearts set on a backup C.

6. DJ

DJ Member

JVG would have picked Patterson, too. JVG loves players who are smart, disciplined, coachable, and hardworking. Patt embodies all of these features.

7. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

CD was a kinda upside guy. I think he wouldve taken sanders.

8. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

CD loved the big men that played D. Whiteside is that guy he would have tried to teach offense.

9. Hard Rock

Hard Rock Member

then why not take Larry Sanders? Whiteside fall all the way the 2nd round.

btw, who coached/(help) Yao best? CD/JVG/Hakeem/Ewing/RA?

10. saintja2

saintja2 Contributing Member

Dawson would have taken the annual 6'10 stiff who shot the lights out in a workout and preferably European. So my pick is Nemanja Bjelica.

When asked about his lack of athleticism and strength and bad shooting numbers in Europe, Dawson would say:
    "There were no unathletic but smart white point guards in the draft, so we had to take Nemanja. And he shot 43/50 from the 3-point line in an workout once, so obviously we had to take him."

11. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Rudy would have insisted on Babbitt or tried for Heyward. He seemed to have a hankering for trying to draft the "next Rudy", tall, white, shoots 3 pointers (Dan Langhi, Steve Novak, Mirsad Turkcan). Sometimes he would lower his standards ( :) ) and draft a SHORTER white guy, as long as the kid's dad was a coach and his claim to fame was hitting a game-winning 3 pointer.

12. devilsdandruff

what i think is. it aint matter who they would pick.

13. Hard Rock

Hard Rock Member

didn't it make you more appreciate DM as our GM? :p

14. PeppermintCandy

I think van Gundy would absolutely love the Patterson pick. A power forward with a jumper who can play defense is exactly the frontcourt player JVG wanted next to Yao. He tried to make Battier that guy, until he quickly realized Shane was too small to guard most power forwards night in and out.

15. DCHAMP

DCHAMP Member

what is the point of this thread

16. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

That's probably right.

17. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

CD/Rudy would have taken the best unknown white shooter available.

You know it's true.