1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who do the Astros draft number 1?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by bobmarley, Oct 3, 2011.

?

Who will the Astros select first overall in the draft?

Poll closed Nov 2, 2011.
  1. Mark Appel

48.7%
  2. Lucas Giolito

10.3%
  3. Devin Marrero

12.8%
  4. Lance McCullers

25.6%
  5. Nick Williams

43.6%
  6. Other, please name

12.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Rocketfan713

Rocketfan713 Member

I would be happy with either Buxton or Appel. My gut feeling is that we will pick Appel now especially if you look at Luhhow's track record while he was with the Cardinals. They want a college arm who can move quickly in the system. My only issue is that Buxton could end up like Tim Beckham is with the Rays.

2. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

3. Mashing

Mashing Member

I think they worked him out. Not sure if that means they put him in a uniform though. It's probably photoshopped though. That looks more like a HS all star game.

4. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Why would they photoshop the other 2 guys wearing Astros jerseys?

Interesting as well is the one guy wearing a Rangers shirt (probably a coach). And another guy you can't see his shirt, but appears to be from neither organization.

#164 juicystream, May 23, 2012
    Last edited: May 23, 2012
  5. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

I'm on the Buxton wagon. He would add even more buzz that Altuve, Lowrie and Martinez have generated early this season. Exciting to watch would be an understatement.

Appel would fill the bigger need though. I'm thinking Crane will want Buxton for the pub.

6. dreamshake97

dreamshake97 Member

given the draft being june 4, i would think we would hear something about who we are drafting..

Buxton makes me nervous.. i'd go with Appel..

7. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Potential lineup in 3-4 years

RF Buxton
    2B Altuve
    1B Singleton
    CF Springer
    LF Martinez
    DH Lowrie
    3B Johnson
    C Castro
    SS Villar/Mier

Our bench could also be DeShields Jr, Paredes, Santana and Schafer. This isn't even including whatever we get in return for Wandy (should equal the Pence trade), Myers and Lee. Maybe Lyon too

8. Rocketfan713

Rocketfan713 Member

WOAH

https://twitter.com/pgammo

Astros staff was "blown away" by Carlos Correa's workout in Kissimee this weekend. One says he's the best Puerto Rican talent since Beltran

9. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

They do call him the next A-Rod. Young and more proven power than Buxton. He is probably the second most talented next to Buxton.

10. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Carlos Correa (Puerto Rico; SS):

Hailing from the famed Puerto Rico Baseball Academy, Carlos Correa has made plenty of noise in the MLB scouting pool.

Usually, shortstops than can hit for both power and average develop the missing piece later down the road in either the minors or once they are established in the league. Correa on the other hand, clearly has five tools early on and is primed for development.

MLB Comparison: Troy Tulowitzki

Both are over 6'4'' and have terrific range at short, but where the comparison is most clear is at the dish. Tulo is one of the top shortstops in the league and a purely enjoyable talent to watch. He has 90 homers since 2009 and is sure to hit between 30 and 40 once again this season.

11. SupermoochieFro

I think with the emergence of Correa added to Buxton that gives the Astros two guys with VERY high ceilings which probably scares them a little more on who to risk 1.1 on. Appel is def the safer pick which is what they'll prob go with. Too bad in baseball you don't see teams trading up or back with picks like b-ball or football.

12. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

Why would we even be hearing about Correa wowing them if they don't plan on going that direction. Seems like information that they are trying to get out there.

13. moonsh0t

moonsh0t Member

I would be very happy about Correa or Buxton. Please no Appel. A player with the upside of a Tulo or Justin Upton is exactly what this organization needs. Then we can use our next 5 picks on safe college arms or high upside high school arms.

14. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I think I am with you. It would be one thing if Appel were projected to be another Stephen Strasburg. But if his top end is a #3 or #4 starter, I would rather roll the dice on a positional player who could be among the top 5 guys at his position some day.

Pitching is primo. But the #1 pick needs to be a potential team changer.

15. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

I'd take Appel if the draft were today. Buxton seems like too much of a project

Justin Upton has has a couple good years, but he's not an ELITE player

16. moonsh0t

moonsh0t Member

Maybe you don't know who Justin Upton is, take a look at his stats.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/u/uptonju01.shtml

In his age 23 season he came in 4th in the MVP voting while hitting 31 HR, stealing 21 bags, and posting nearly a .900 OPS. He carried a young Dbacks team to the playoffs.. Did I mention that was his age 23 season.

Upton has started slow this year but he's every bit ELITE.

17. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Appel's "top end" is most definitely NOT a #3 or #4 starter. Where did you get that silly notion?

Obviously, Appel projects as a top-of-the-rotation #1 starter. Of course, he's no "super-duperstar" like Strausburg. But he's still a projectable #1 guy.

If there were any scouts within the Astros organization that viewed Appel as a #3 starter at best, I'm pretty sure we wouldn't even be mentioning his name right now on this BBS.

18. Rocketfan713

Rocketfan713 Member

Appel is definitely an ace type pitcher. At worst I see him as a number 2. If he was in the draft last season he would still be a top 10 pick behind pitchers like Cole, Bauer, Bundy, and Bradley.

19. jim1961

jim1961 Member

First of all, I did say "IF"

Secondly, as this is strictly my feelings, I think we need/want a super duper guy as our #1 starter. If Appel isnt it, my feeling is we would/should continue to look for that guy, making someone with Appel's skill set a #2.

Thirdly, I just have this feeling that Appel will fall just a bit below expectations. Not a bust or anything like that, but not quite #1 material.

Fourthly, Sometimes your #3 is good enough to be a #2 or #1 on some other club. Clemmons / Petitte / Oswalt anybody?

Yes, this ^^^^ is what it will take, imo, to be perennial WS contenders. If Appel was the #3 guy in a crowd like that, it really wouldnt be a knock on his ability.

So I guess what was in the back of my mind, but didnt make any attempt to say is that I feel Appel would be a #3 if we grow other starters like id like us to.

20. htownbball

htownbball Member

Buxton's floor is probably an Austin Jackson type player. Great defense in center, can steal 30+ bases, below average power, will hit close to .300 but may strike out more than you'd like. He's definitely got the ability to catch up to 92+ fastballs as shown in the scouting video from the underarmour all star game, but he is very raw and it'll be interesting to see him adjust to pro pitching and pro breaking balls.

I'm really afraid that he's another Cameron Maybin. Great tools, great defense, speed, and power potential, but just can't put it all together against major league pitching.

Scouts see him as a potential Justin Upton type player, but I don't see that. Upton is a beast and has shown monster power at every level. Buxton is 6'1 or 6'2 and 170lbs. Upton was 6'2 190lbs coming out of highschool, listed at 205lbs now, and looks around 210-215lbs. Buxton just doesn't have the same frame that Upton has and I don't think he's going to develop into what Upton has become. He's very skinny and very wiry, and I think once he gets onto a pro nutrition and weight program, I think his optimal height/weight will be around 6'2 195lbs.

That being said, Justin Upton is a potential 40 home run hitter. His bat speed is that good and his swing plane is built for hitting home runs. Buxton hit 12 home runs last year I believe, but I see him as more of a slasher who can hit line drives all over the field. Power potential of maybe 25 home runs annually. I see more Andrew Mccutchen in him than Upton. If he develops into his power, I could see him being an Adam Jones type player, who at 27, is just now tapping into his power. Jones was a little bigger than Buxton at 6'2 185lbs and is now listed at 6'3 220lbs, although he looks closer to 210-215lbs

Floor- Austin Jackson
    Realistic- Andrew McCutchen
    Ceiling- Adam Jones (current)

Put me on the record that Carlos Correa will be a better offensive player than Buxton. Guy is a future 30 home run hitter. Book it.

1 person likes this.