1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who did Refer piss off?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Possum, Feb 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Possum

Possum Member

Man doesnt some of the things Morey has been saying sound cold blooded? Almost vindictive?

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/6272098.html

“We love Aaron’s future and Kyle’s future,” Morey said. “We think both those guys can be guys we can build around. Aaron has played better than anyone at that spot with the starters this year. They are two guys that give us great, great depth at that spot. Both have different skills that complement each other.”

Yet whenever he spoke of their future, Morey rushed to say the deal was made to make the Rockets immediately better.

“We do feel like Kyle is an upgrade as a player,” Morey said. “We feel like we have a better mix to help us win.”

When is the last time a GM traded away a long tenured player that played hard and said something like this?

2. DOHCtah

DOHCtah Member

I will kind of agree with you.. he could have been a bit more graceful and thankful of Skip..

but honestly what did you expect him to say? of course he'd give you the typical bull PR crap.. "oh we're win now. oh this is an upgrade. oh we love his upside".. blah blah

3. Ghazi

Ghazi Member

lol @ refer :p

4. bob718

bob718 Contributing Member

That is really disrespectful to a player who gives his 100% every game

5. Possum

Possum Member

Refer just got replaced by a third year player that was a backup on a very bad team and now Morrey is publicly saying the team is better off RIGHT NOW than it was with Austin starting. Sorry but thats a slap in the face no matter how you look at it. :eek:

6. Dei

Dei Member

To answer the question in the title:

The Fans.

7. bob718

bob718 Contributing Member

you can express your opinion, but don't represent me.

I, as a fan, love rafer.

8. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

yao?

rafer was probably not passing enough to him or taking more shots than him

9. rockets09

rockets09 Member

as a long time reader and 1st time poster all i will say is i had nothing against rafer alston but i am excited to watch young trio of guards rockets have run up down floor shoot and pass hopefully this is dawning of new era changing of the guards von wafer , Aaron brooks, kyle lowry now just finsh it in the off season and get 2nd young shooting guard and let them play .

10. DOHCtah

DOHCtah Member

lol yeah I know.. re-read what I wrote. I'm saying it IS typical PR bullcrap answers without much substance..

Of course he's not going to say, "Yeah, some might say we downgraded our position today because we wanted to take a risk with a talented, but ultimately unproven kid at the expense of our veteran starting PG. We have no idea how this will affect our playoff run, because we are aware that swapping a starting PG for the stretch run this late into the reason is a risky move. We also know that Cook is pretty much a scrub, but we had to take him on to make the salary numbers work (we'll call him a "big who can space the floor for Yao" to make it PR-friendly). This move didn't save us any cap space, while actually slightly hurting our cap position in the future, but we really like what we see in Lowry's potential to justify it."

11. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

Refer Austin?

Epic typo?

You know... Austin... hippies... reefer... :D

12. dijk

dijk Member

So do I.

13. engr_alex

engr_alex Member

my gut feeling has always pinned the locker room troubles between Rafer and Tmac. Rafer has been more vocal this season and always seemed that he had RA and DM's blessing.

seems like when Tmac finally cried foul about the rox shopping him behind his back by announcing the surgery, Les came running to placate Tmac and asked him to seriously reconsider the surgery.

and in order to convince him that the team is still behind him 100%, DM is asked to axe Rafer since he's the most vocal critic of tmac and might have been in a power struggle with tmac all season as to who should lead the team.

im a tmac fan, but if there's one to blame, i agree it's on tmac. but rafer isnt without fault here. coz instead of backing your star player and attribute his poor play to injury, he questioned his heart and desire. we could even guess that rafer was vocal, because he knew that tmac was being shopped. but tmac trumped that effort by playing the surgery card.

so caught between the idea of your 20mil player not playing the remainder of the season and early part of the next and your talented but offensively lacking PG leading the charge to the playoffs, what are you gonna do?

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Jettison them both.

DD

15. freemaniam

freemaniam 我是自由人

At the cost of giving up this season?

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

They have enough to go to war right now....Artest, Battier, Wafer, Barry...you don't need a gimpy Tmac.

Let him go away......

And the team plays a lot better offense and defense without him......he kills the ball movement and makes the team easy to guard.

The sooner that guy gets the surgery the better.....

People will finally give up on the fallacy that he steps it up in the playoffs, when the reality is he just takes more shots.

We have more efficient players than him....let him go.

DD

17. freemaniam

freemaniam 我是自由人

I mean Rafer. When TMac wasn't playing, heck even when Yao wasn't playing, he is often the guy who stepped up.

18. fmp087

fmp087 Member

I love Rafer's dedication to play hard all the time, but I hate when he shoots.

19. Mav-Hater

Mav-Hater Contributing Member

20. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

Refer pissed off the Ganja God's so they banished him to Disney World.