1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who changed Dwight Howard's shot where he sets for a free throw with the ball near his chest?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, Oct 31, 2013.

1. bmd

bmd Member

This is what I'm talking about:

[​IMG]

Even back in Orlando:

[​IMG]

Why does he shoot like this? I found a video of him during a rookie summer league where he shot correctly, with the ball down by his waist before bringing it up and releasing:

[​IMG]

And Dwight shot 68% as a rookie for the Magic.

He even had shooting coach Ed Palubinskas work with him a couple years ago, and he was teaching him to shoot the ball with his motion starting from around his waist:

[​IMG]

So clearly he has been coached the correct way, and he even used to shoot the correct way.

So who taught him to set the ball like this?:

[​IMG]

2. basketballholic

Please caption Kobe and Nash in the above pic.

3. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

Who knows how he learned it. His form is the biggest problem with his shot. He can practice for hours and hours and not improve, because he is just practicing bad techniques. Of course changing form will often make a player shoot even worse at first until you get used to it and perfect the correct technique, and some players are stubborn, or just can't seem to grasp the shooting lessons they are given. If he isn't willing or able to change his form then he will never be significantly better than he is right now. Obviously there have been other big men like Yao who have shot very well from the line, so it's just a matter of perfecting the technique. Perfecting his free throws to the point that he could shoot 70% or more consistently would boost Dwights offensive game more than learning a dozen post moves from Hakeem or McHale.

4. apollo33

apollo33 Member

he has one of those forms that I just don't expect it to go in, like ever

like every made freethrow looks like a fluke

5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I'm with Rick Barry on this.

It's embarrassing for an NBA player to shoot under 80%.

He should learn underhanded. Barry swears that any player can shoot 80% if they work with him on it.,

6. cn0gd

cn0gd Member

nice find and good question! should ask he himself about it. what a waste, if he has been keep doing the right form he may already got a ring now. oh wait if that happened he wont be a rocket now. butterfly effect is interesting.

7. coffeelover665

that's wrong. form doesn't matter as much as you think it does. What Dwight need to do is simulate game situation free throw. Do a couple sprints then come back and shoot.

8. T-macsterful1

T-macsterful1 Member

Imitating Ray Allen? he's a guy who also only lowers the ball to his rib cage at the beginning of his shot and no one is saying anything about him.

9. Pukimonster

Pukimonster Member

Nash tried to teach him correct form last year and Dwight pretty much ignored him saying, he has to shoot it his own way

Beginning of 12-13 you'd see Pau and Nash during timeouts, reminding Dwight to follow through. After Dec you could tell they gave up

10. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Barry is basing that on what? A sample size of one?

11. bmd

bmd Member

What? Ray Allen starts very low:

[​IMG]

12. bmd

bmd Member

But you know who else set the ball high?

[​IMG]

Now, Shaq has way more problems than just that... (just look at how he's holding the ball).

13. tada

tada Member

All I know is after watching Michael Kidd-Gilchrist shoot free throws, I realized how much better form Dwight shoots his free throws.

14. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

lol. Barry is out there to make money. Haven't you seen any of his failed marketing products like the shot-dot?

15. HOUSTONJS

HOUSTONJS Member

The Rick Barry under-handed freethrows. Jeez. I hope no player does that again.

16. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I'm guessing he did.

Dwight and Shaq likely shift(ed) their weight forward. If they bring the ball down, it's throwing them further off balance, which would feel uneasy to them. They keep it up because it feels better to them.
    Something obviously changed from early in Dwight's career, but i'm sure you don't want to hear my explanation on that.

#16 RV6, Oct 31, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
  17. topfive

topfive CF OG

Rick Barry wasn't the most recent NBA player to shoot an underhand free throw:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/j7e8P1qa8_I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

18. bmd

bmd Member

I'm sure your explanation is that Dwight got too muscular.

19. apollo33

apollo33 Member

horse meat?

20. bmd

bmd Member

Is that right? What is your explanation?