1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who can we get with the Jeremy Lin trade exception?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockbox, Nov 7, 2014.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

You guys realize the names being brought up are Brandon Bass, Carlos Boozer, and such right? How is anyone very excited about that possibility?

And Bima states the fact that the TPE can be used in Free agency to sign & trade for an actual player of their choice, and folks are like... Ehh.... I want Brandon Bass now vs that option??

You guys realize that the TPE will be able to absorb more salary than the Rockets are paying Trevor Ariza next season?

Other than maybe a player like Greg Monroe coming off his rookie salary, I really don't see a huge impact player to acquire that outweighs the opportunity to go after a player of choice next Summer with free agency S&T situation.

-Afflalo, D. West, K. Koufas (who I think would have amazing impact to the 5 spot depth), T. Young, Bargnani, T. Harris, A. Johnson

All strike me as targets for that 5 to 9 million a year range type of player that could really help the Rockets next year which will probably be the most important year of their championship window, and all of those targets look a hell of alot better than Brandon Freaking Bass or Carlos Boozer (if he was even eligible to be traded for).

2. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

WHEW!!! Thank God....

Boozer is not even a shell of himself.. He should have retired 3 years ago..

T_Man

3. awc713

awc713 Member

If anything, I'd say it's a buyers market right now. The league is wide open for the taking.

4. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

We would have signed him had he cleared waivers...

He rebounds and scores plus, hypothetically (and as Bima just pointed out is impossible), all of that on a one year $3M contract is not much of a gamble. But the point is moot now.

5. awc713

awc713 Member

my bad--misread your post

6. hakeemthagreat

How exactly? LMA does NOT do that with Chuck Hayes guarding him. With our current roster, we will still get killed by any elite team w/ dominant a PF. I'd stick Chuckwagon on any of them and be happy with the results

7. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Boozer is the antithesis of everything Morey has built on this team. An absolutely horrible defensive player. A prolific shooter of bad mid ranged shots. He might be an acceptable rebounder still (I don't know), but I somehow doubt it. There is a reason that teams amnesty players. To save money and get rid of the old dredge players. And yes, Scola was amnestied because he was no longer a starting quality power forward in the NBA.

8. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

You do need to brush up on player analysis.

9. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Brandon Bass is a good defender with a jump shot and can play both big positions

10. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Again, there were reports that we were prepared to sign him the moment he cleared waivers. Obviously, there's a reason why DM was interested. It's been proven that Boozer as a featured player (two or three option) is essentially a recipe for mediocrity. But take that player, that can score and rebound well, and bring him off the bench it might be a good fit. Crazier things have happened. Boris Diaw and Tyson Chandler are recent examples that come to mind of formerly overpaid and discarded players that found good fits in new scenery.

...but not happening, so we can all move along now.

11. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Speculation. But I agree lets move on.

12. baubo

baubo Member

Waiting until FA means the Rockets wait for serious contention for another year. That is major opportunity cost given we don't know long Dwight can be superstar. I don't want Brandon Bass either, but there are players that fit under the TPE, better than Bass, and can be had at the deadline.

13. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Why does holding onto one solitary asset until next July somehow mean the Rockets are putting their team-building plans on hold?

They're still going to try like hell to parlay that NOP pick, other picks, young players, and salary filler (most likely Terry and/or Papanikolaou) into a third star ASAP. Maybe they'll also use the Lin TPE in that regard. Maybe they won't. They'll certainly use it if it's necessary to get a third star this season.

But looking at the Lin TPE by itself, the Rockets could still make their "bigger" moves this season and then add a fourth or fifth big piece to the puzzle next July using that TPE.

There are a ton of moving parts here, folks. This is just one of them.

14. basketballholic

Star or Superstar?

15. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

My ideal would be to somehow trade for Dragic during the season and then use the Lin TE in July in a S&T with Indy for David West if he opts out (e.g., - 3 years, $25 million)

Howard
    West Jones
    Ariza
    Harden
    Beverley Dragic

Add a solid backup wing and a serviceable backup center and I'd think we be set.

16. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Nope, I'm pretty sure that is you, sir... Chuck Hayes would help us immensely...

17. dakeem1

dakeem1 Member

"Somehow" . Not exactly a full proof plan.

18. baubo

baubo Member

It puts things on hold because if you're going all in, you should not half-ass it. I don't know who will be available at the deadline, but let's suppose we trade Terry, Papa, and NO pick for Rondo. With Rondo, do you believe the Rockets should (A) hold their Lin exception until the summer or (B) trade it for a backup 4/5 who can give Dwight some extra rest towards the end of the season?

It is true that there's no point in making a trade for a mediocre player who doesn't move the needle. But if Morey makes a trade that puts the Rockets into contender status, an extra body that doesn't suck will absolutely be much more useful than being able to S&T for a FA in the offseason.

19. Dhoward12

Dhoward12 Member

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

20. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I don't think people realize this OR they want instant results , which I can understand from a fans prospective.

They can sign a great player via FA this coming offseason then use that Lin TPE to sign another high quality player and keep everything they have now.

Add two very good players to this current roster and you have a serious contender.

The window of opportunity is very short tho , something like three days from the beginning of the FA signing period to the expiration date of the TPE.