1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who can we get with the Jeremy Lin trade exception?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockbox, Nov 7, 2014.

1. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

We need a big man

2. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Ryan Anderson would be nice if we could get it done with like tj or dmo and Dorsey.

3. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

We need depth at the PG and PF...

One that hasn't been mentioned yet but how about Jarrett Jack and Teletovic?

4. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

So with your trade scenario who plays the 4?

Dragic is not our biggest need at this point and CH hit it right on the spot with Bass..

T_Man

5. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I saw Jarrett Jack as a possible target too, but he has that extra year on his contract. I think Bass makes more sense considering the team's needs. And yeah Teletovic would be nice, but I don't know why the Nets wouldn't try to re-sign him. But who knows with the Nets...

6. 2016Champions

2016Champions Member

Garnett would be perfect but would Brooklyn give him up? If just looking at fit his 20 minutes per game get staggered between the 4 an 5, that would leave a lot of minutes for Terrence Jones, so we wouldn't necessarily be jeopardizing Terrence's development. Our 8-9 man rotation in the playoffs would be so much stronger, and Rockets improved defrnse would be taken to elite status. Not to mention the veteran intangibles and championship experience he brings to the table.

7. Mr Chuck Norris

MY wishlist

Taj Gibson
    Ryan Anderson
    John Henson
    Larry Sanders
    Horford/Milsap
    Brandon Bass
    Greg Monroe
    Mosgov
    Jason Smith

If we get a PG, he has to be an upper tier PG

8. rockettes

rockettes Rookie

sign andray blatche to vet min
    he is miles better than the scrubs we call big men

9. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

I'd love to target a Bass right now so that in February if an even better upgrade such as Horford presents itself, you have the salaries and sweeteners to make it work without having to part with Terry.

1 person likes this.
  10. photojoe

photojoe Member

I don't remember exactly how trade exceptions work, so this might be wrong. But aren't you not allowed to package any players or draft picks with the exception? So it is mainly used to "buy out" a player from another team that is looking to save some money?

If that is right, I don't think we would be able to use it for Dragic. Just seems like the Suns wouldn't have any need to save money from his contract unless they could also get something valuable back in return

11. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

The TE doesn't prevent us from sweetening the deal. We just can't combine it with other salaries to get a higher priced player. 8.4 million is the max, so players like Garnett are totally out of the question.

12. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

The one thing I am fairly sure of is that the Rockets are not going to be trading for any player that would take the ball out of the hands of James Harden. Harden and four unselfish, don't pound the rock spot up shooters are functioning at peak efficiency. The Rockets currently start four players that either get the ball to the hole, or pass it. Great ball movement. And Harden, the floor general. Getting rid of Lin and Parsons was somehow addition by subtraction. If the Rockets make any trade, it will be for a backup big. But I doubt that is going to happen.

13. chandlerbang21

But he isn't big and he sucks now

14. chandlerbang21

He makes 8 mill a season overseas

15. rockettes

rockettes Rookie

all expiring contracts that fits under the TPE so take your pick

amir johnson
    brandon bass
    drew gooden
    glen davis
    luis scola (not possible)
    derrick williams
    robin lopez (not likely)
    chuck hayes
    enes kanter (wont happen)
    greg monroe (wont happen)
    tristan thompson (wont happen)
    brandan wright (wont happen)

16. cloudng8

cloudng8 Contributing Member

What about David west? He would be a perfect fit.

17. Play07

Play07 Member

Brandon Bass

bring a reliable big in here that can give you 15mins a night to bang with Blake ibaka zbo etc, 80% ft shooting "we need FT shooting to go up in playoffs", he's like a j. terry to mentor jones, brings more leadership into locker room, will set picks for harden and others will do the dirty work.

I know everyone wants millsapp etc but just get bass, then look at a bench shooter with the NO pick.

18. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

This is actually a really good point.

Except, I think the goal would actually be to keep a guy like Papa and combine Bass (or whoever the TPE is used on) with Terry's contract for a Horford or Milsap or KG.

19. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Why would they want to break up their core....

Both Papa and Terry bring stability and experience off the bench... So why would they want to trade them and who would take their place?

T_Man

20. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Unless a truly terrific opportunity presents itself during this season (i.e., Dragic, Gibson), there is a very good chance that the Rockets instead elect to wait until July to use the Lin trade exception.

The next July Moratorium ends on July 9, 2015. The Lin trade exception expires on July 13, 2015. During that 4-5 day window, there could be ample opportunity to upgrade the roster, either via trade or via sign-and-trade. Sure, it is possible that the trade exception could expire without being used; but unless a truly great opportunity comes along during this season, the risk-reward may be in favor of waiting until the start of the 2015-16 season to use it.