1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who can we get with the Jeremy Lin trade exception?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockbox, Nov 7, 2014.

1. LandryMegaBeast

CAPTURE THE DRAGON AND DRAG(IC) HIM BACK TO HOUSTON

2. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

You are spot on, and I would take him in a heartbeat. But, he's not a heartthrob. I am holding out hope with baited breath that a better fish can be landed with the bait.

3. saintja2

saintja2 Contributing Member

Chuck Hayes. $6M expiring contract. We could use another defensive big.

4. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I really don't think that jump shooting PF is a big need unless he's a multi-talented three point shooter like a Ryan Anderson type. The primary need IMO is another perimeter playmaker and hopefully we can find one of these old PF/C to play backup center (*crosses fingers for KG buyout*).

To some extent, TJones can actually be that PF we need if he continues to improve his shooting. The poor 1on1 defense is much less of a problem with Ariza here and Harden playing well on that end. And, I actually would like to see us be patient with him as he has a unique skill set with the handles at his position. Like a young Lamar Odom, it make take a while before he fully understands how to use his skills and athleticism to his advantage.

5. Teen Wolf

Teen Wolf Member

I hope it's Dragic. I'm hoping guys like cannon improve their trade value with their early season play.

I actually think a package of cannon, TJones and NOP first round pick would be more than enough to acquire Dragic at the deadline.

6. LandryMegaBeast

i love the chuckwagon as much as the next guy but he can't even make it off the bench in toronto.

7. Teen Wolf

Teen Wolf Member

Yeah that would be a horrible use of this resource.

8. saintja2

At some point we have to use it or lose it (many trade exceptions are actually let expire). And of course Chuck wouldn't be the first guy they look at with it but it's not like there are tons of players we can get, as we probably wouldn't want ****ty multiyear contracts to hamper us in the offseason.

9. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Yeah I posted in another thread the same thing. I really think it'll be used on Bass. Getting something better than that is not likely. And while he's not great, he will bring more to the table than Dmo.
    Also I don't know if we end up trading the NOP pick during the year. We don't have many contracts that'll end up adding up to a player worth something, unless we include Terry or Kostas, and I know it's very early but I really don't want to lose those two players.

10. #TheBeard

#TheBeard Member

Question on Dragic to salary cap experts, If we somehow trade for tragic midseason and come the offseason he declines his player option, do we still have his bird rights?? so basically can he decline, and we go sign some other players with cap space, and then sign him over the cap?

11. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

We need a 3rd big man! Dmo is not cutting it right now! Paul Milsap would be perfect IMO

12. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

we need a PF or PG with good basketballl IQ...look at how terry utilizes the DH pick and roll...

13. saintja2

We would have his bird rights. The problem is, he counts against the cap (= cap hold) unless we renounce him and lose the bird rights in the process. So we wouldn't reallly have much cap space, if any at all.

14. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

When it turns out we can't get the guy in the background.

[​IMG]

We should get the guy in the front.

15. TheresTheDagger

I forget if we can package draft picks with a trade exception.

If so, what about Nate Robinson and Timofey Mozgof for Nick Johnson, Trade Exception and a late 2nd round pick?

Denver has a glut of centers currently and Johnson and a 2nd for Nate seems fair.

Nate is an expiring. Mozgof is on a team option this summer.

Would give us depth at VERY needed positions.

16. Mr Chuck Norris

That would be decent IMO. But if dragic continues not to have a role in Phoenix moret should be on him like a hawk and I suspect he is.

17. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I think the Rockets would prefer a 3 point shooter to a midrange guy, but anyone who is a threat from outside 10-12 feet of the basket would help. Right now they just don't have any kind of reliable range with any of their true bigs. As I said, Bass isn't all that special or exciting, but we can use some "average and competent," too, around Howard and Harden. Besides, a better player may not be available.

My guess, though, is that Morey is looking to use the exception as a part of a bigger package deal to bring in that "third star" still. So he may not pull a trigger on a Bass-type thing until the February deadline.

18. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Bass just makes too much sense.

[​IMG]Vet with playoff experience

[​IMG]Played with Dwight

[​IMG]Has a great mid-range game

[​IMG]Plays solid defense.

[​IMG]Expiring contract on a team that would trade him

Then if we could add O'neal or Okafor we would be pretty much set

19. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

Now I do not know the reasoning for what he says, but I think he may have read the articles from the ESPN and NBC and gotten the wrong idea.

ESPN:
    NBCSports:
    From what I understand, the Kings got a trade exception from dumping Terry and not that we used the Lin exception to get him.

20. HTM

HTM Member

Dragic played 46 minutes tonight (2OT's)... Thomas only got 17 minutes.... I know its only one game but I can't see the suns giving up Dragic for spare parts and a late lottery pick...