1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who are the untouchables on this team?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Slam Dunk, Dec 30, 2015.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

2. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

Some of you that think a guy like Capela is untouchable are living in some fantasy land.

You're telling me that if a guy like Cousins becomes available and we have to include a guy like Capela that we'd reject it? hahah

3. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

4. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

It's time to get rid of Keith Jones. The Rocket's true curse is Keith Jones. He wasn't here for the Championship years '94 & '95.

5. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

you think a high level all star like cousins would be available for our trash? i highly doubt players like him would be traded for role players like ariza, capela, beverley etc.

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Wait. The way guys like Dmo got talked up he would be an allstar by now....

7. Raven

Raven Member

Harden (give him one more year to "get it")
    Harrell (too much potential to give away)
    Capela (obvious)
    Beverly (means more to us than anyone else)

Dwight (going to be overpaid, available)
    D-Mo (going to be overpaid, available)
    Ariza (not going to get any better, available)

Jones (gone and everyone knows it)
    Brewer (gone and everyone knows it)
    Lawson (gone and everyone knows it)

8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

The definition of untouchable isn't "good player"

9. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Don't worry there's no rush, it will be a while before all of those NBA execs figure out what an astute guy like you already knows.

Decker hurt his back prior to joining the Rockets and after 8 preseason games and 5 minutes of regular season garbage time he's obviously a mistake? Do you remember how badly Capela played in his first few games?

10. finsraider

finsraider Member

Sure I would, but it's unreasonable to expect any established star on a contender to be traded for prospects.

The Rockets are not a contender right now, so if you're rebuilding then DMo and Capela are "untouchable" as quality prospects.

11. Mr. Clutch

The definition of untouchable isn't "young player with promise"

12. Raven

Raven Member

When I think of untouchable, I think of players who either won't be dealt, because they are too good, or players who won't be dealt, because you won't get enough in return to risk shipping them out.

13. Mr. Clutch

I think of guys you just won't trade period. LeBron, Curry, Anthony Davis for example are untouchable. Harden last year too. Hakeem and Jordan on their primes, etc

14. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

If you invested a first round pick... and only got 8 preseason games and 5 minutes of garbage time in return... i'd call that high investment and low return - or a mistake... ;)

15. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Someone who thinks that Cousins is going to be on the table for Capela is living in some fantasy land.

The people who say he is untouchable are stating that because the pieces that will actually be available for him are not worth giving him up for.

You do not see the growth and development he has made in one year very often.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

By that definition there isn't anyone on the Rockets that is untouchable so that's why I prefer the "functionally untouchable" definition instead.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Untouchable - too valuable and untouchable - nobody wants to touch them

two different meanings

Rockets have a lot of those second ones, nobody wants them

18. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

how do you know that the pieces offered will not be worth it?

the question is a hypothetical, if you were to presume that any offer were not worth it, every player on the team would be untouchable.

again the meaning of untouchable in reference to a players availability in trade (in most instances) is that the team would not trade the player for any hypothetical offer or 99% of it.

untouchable is not define as what you think would be offer as not being of enough value, but are there offers out there valuable enough to include the player in a trade for.

Like Mr Clutch stated, last year Lebron KD Curry Harden Westbrook AD were for all intensive purposes, untouchables because aside from one another their teams wouldn't even bother picking up the phone.

This year that list IMO, is Lebron. Curry. AD. WB and KD

For the Rockets Harden is probably still close to untouchable despite his glaring lack of effort on defense this season

19. Juxtaposed Jolt

There's a joke to be made here. :p

20. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

How do I know it won't be worth it?

It's actually very simple.

In order for Capela to be traded there is going to be a list of things that need to be returning through that door. A couple being:

Is said player going to be 7 foot? Because size is a premium.

Is said player going to have shown an example of exponential growth in skill and talent? Because I don't think I could fill up one hand counting how many people have gone from D League material > important minutes on a deep playoff run > important starter in less than 12 months.

In short, both of those things are not going to be ticked.

Thus, Capela is untouchable.

I know you put some thought into your little thesis - but really none was needed because the answer is reached by quite a simple breakdown.