1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who are some of the best Dirk stoppers in the league?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Dec 23, 2013.

1. meh

meh Contributing Member

According to BR, of the teams that Dirk played 3+ games against, the best team against him was Portland. The 2nd best, OKC. If you include teams he played 2 times against, Orlando, Golden State, and Cleveland also are up there. Not sure what the matchups were with GSW, Cleveland, and Orlando were. But I'd imagine Aldridge and Ibaka defended him against OKC and Portland.

2. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

lol wut Ibaka looked lost guarding Dirk...i could see Aldridge giving him a little trouble. Honestly no one can guard Dirk though just gotta hope he misses

3. mdoggnic

mdoggnic Contributing Member

Flyin' Ryan!

4. ItalianRocket

ItalianRocket Member

Seriously Millsap would be the dream stretch 4

[youtube]Vr_JyWQxbSs[/youtube]

5. meh

meh Contributing Member

I've never watched an OKC vs. Dallas game before. But according to the box score, Dirk went 5-12 against OKC, 3-8 on 2 pointers(which I assume were shots he created for himself), 4-4 from the line and scored 16 points.

If the Rockets looked as lost as Ibaka guarding Dirk, we'd have won comfortably tonight.

6. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Before that game, Millsap hit 23 treys ALL YEAR, averaging under 1 per game!

Last year, he hit only 13!

Calling him a stretch 4 is ok. Dream? not so much

7. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

well Dirks championship run he was making Ibaka look like a fool the whole series

i have watched a couple games besides that and if i recall those 3's were with the shot clock running down/forced 3's

8. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

Put Jeremy Lin on him like McHale did tonight...

9. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

Carlisle when he puts Dirk on the bench. Other than that, I'd take Hayes on him.

10. ItalianRocket

ItalianRocket Member

Yeah you are right,but his 3point shot has improved a lot this season and out of all the possible PF's (Anderson,Ilyasova etc.) we could trade for I would take him.Atlanta fans already like him more than Josh Smith and we were ready to pay him the max.

But Atlanta has no interest in Asik for Millsap it seems,cause Morey would have pulled the trigger on that one.

11. wireonfire

wireonfire Contributing Member

People may laugh at this, but Yi Jianlian was good at guarding Dirk. His length and quickness gave Dirk trouble and Yi was quite familiar with Dirk's style since their national teams met many times before. Dirk normally shot poor percentage jumpers against Yi, so he actually resorted to use his strength advantage to take Yi to the low post.

12. Swag

Swag Member

anyone could stop him if the refs stopped makin him so untouchable

13. felixng2012

felixng2012 Member

What the **** is a Dirk stopper? No such thing. :eek:

14. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

There is.

It's called "age"

15. EnergyGuy

EnergyGuy Rookie

Actually I've seen some Yi vs Dirk including the Olympics and would agree to this.

Yi was a wasted talent. If he had Yao's heart and work ethic, he could've been so much better.

16. 2016Champions

2016Champions Member

Can't stop him, just don't give him open 3s and don't jump too early on his pump fakes. Let him make those long contested 2s, that's the best way to contain him.

17. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

18. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

The chuck wagon

19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Golden State back when they had Baron and J-Rich would use smaller speedier guards, mostly two at a time, on Dirk and that worked

20. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Tonya Harding could stop him.