1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who are some of the best Dirk stoppers in the league?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Dec 23, 2013.

1. Benchwarmer

Benchwarmer Member

The question isn't who can stop Dirk, it's who can attack him on offense, wear him out and get him into foul trouble.

2. Swishh

Swishh Member

3. zipcrash

zipcrash Member

you cant stop that stupid one foot fade away.

4. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

5. OremLK

OremLK Member

It is, indeed, pretty difficult to stop Dirk from scoring if you mainly guard him with 6'3" Jeremy Lin and 6'7" Francisco Garcia. I mean, Dirk is only 7 feet tall, no big deal, right?

This is the kind of game where I would've really liked to see McHale give DMo a try. I don't know WTF was going on in the second half, but it made me want to dig my eyeballs out with a spoon.

[​IMG]

6. aurocketfan

aurocketfan Member

Dirk is unguardable with his fade away jumper. Dude when healthy destroyed the Heat in that final. Only thing beats him is age. I can see Asik slowing him down but wont make much of a difference if he's on fire.

7. CasaDolce

CasaDolce Rookie

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/n4wg3ypNBok" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

8. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

The best Rocket defense on Dirk that I saw of recent was DMo in this preseason. He frustrated the hell out of Dirk and then later out of frustration Dirk got a flagrant 2 and was kicked out of the game.

Call it a preseason fluke or just coincidence but definitely effected Dirk in that game. IMO DMo has the size and enogh speed to cover Dirk. The problem with Casspi and TJone is they are smaller then Dirk and he can easily shoot over them unless they jump. Of course the second they jump Dirk gets the fould. DMo has enough length to effect Dirk without jumping hence he is less prone to fall for Dirks fakes.

Perhaps DMo will fail at this but IMO this is another mistake directly related to coaching. No one has had success against Dirk with the exception of DMo for that short period this preseason. Why not at least give it a try. It's just stupid not too. If he fails so what everyone else has. If he succeeds then we have something going forward. It may also be effective against LMA who we have the same issue with. It's worth a try.

Also don't confuse this as DMO only fan because I just want to win but I think DMo deserves more minutes. He has been in McHale's doghouse since forever. Morey even tried to force McHale's hand at playing him last season to no avail. I like TJones and there are some things he does well but he is not the most cerebral player and I suspect his grasp of the defense is not coming around this season. Worst case, he might be a little more talented Stromile Swift. Iget that he is young and you may not want to change the rotation as to effect his ego but there are definitely some situations you could squeeze out a few minutes for DMo. At least against these tall 4's who shoot over everyone. Stupid coaching not to at least give it a try.

9. Chef_Monteur

Chef_Monteur Member

When Dirk has that step-back jumper going for him there is nobody who can stop him because its an un-guardable shot.

In order to stop Dirk you have to take away his position. If you let him get position inside of 16 ft when he has that jumper going, you're toast.

10. MadMaxwell

MadMaxwell Member

Dirk is a beast. Although, I hate the Mavs, I respect what Dirk has done for that franchise. He brings it every game and his loyalty to that club is what most players lack today. It'd be nice to see him in a Rockets uniform.

11. dantian

dantian Member

Marion did a good job on him back with Suns. Garcia is too slow to compensate the height difference.

12. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

I have to think that only Lebron is capable of stopping Dirk currently.

13. Panda23

Panda23 Member

When Dirk has it going he's unstoppable.

He was downright unconscious during that championship run.

14. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

Chuck Hayes. Boy could we use him now

15. pippsux

pippsux Member

Idk if someone said this yet, but Don Nelson did the best job on dirk when he coached the warriors against the Macs in the playoffs. Dirk's MVP year.

16. archinkent

archinkent Member

Dude could smile and still drain the shot...

[​IMG]

17. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Easy, the same guys that stopped Jordan,Dream,Bird, meaning nobody. When the J is falling you're doomed

If it could be done it would have been done long ago, he destroyed the Heat and they had LeBron. The only reason they don't have multiple titles was that he wilted under pressure for the first half of his career.

18. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Plus, you stop him by beating him down the court. Run him to death, he can't keep up. Don't let him settle into a half court game.

19. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Prime Garnett was probably the best.

20. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Good call on Marion. Prime Rasheed Wallace limited Dirk pretty well.