1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Who actually IS STILL here] Terrence Jones

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by steddinotayto, Sep 26, 2014.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's not "knocking" him to acknowledge that he's a bat fit with Howard. He isn't a good shooter and isn't a particularly good passer or ball handler. Jones is a tweener forward who is good on fast breaks, but isn't very useful in half court situations. On defense, his lack of size makes it to where Dwight and Jones can't ever switch without creating a huge mismatch inside.

Saying he's not a good fit with Howard is a legitimate criticism, but it doesn't take away from the things he does well.

2. YOLO

YOLO Member

there aren't many teams with two bigs in the league where this is actually true. those days have been over for quite some time

3. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

Sure wish we had a great coach like Pop who could utilize both Jones and DMo effectively in starting/changing line-ups, etc., considering they AREN'T one player :(

4. YOLO

YOLO Member

the more he gets to the line in a game, i think the more comfortable he'll be. hopefully hell get there a few more times this year. I'm thinking around the 70% range this season

5. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Interesting but yet we still won well over 50 games. Plus it was their 1st year playing together.

6. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

That would definitely be in the right step. I hope Jones has practiced both his free throws and 3 point shot because that will def go hand in hand.

I think it's possible that we see 17/9 out of Jones next year.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not saying there is, I'm saying that on defense Jones and Howard can't ever switch because there's no center in the NBA that he could defend. We can add to it that there are also PF's that Jones has no chance defending, but I was just pointing out that if the play progresses to where Jones switches with Howard and has to guard the center, it's easy points/rebounds for the other team.

Well yeah, we have Howard and Harden....The team was always going to win a ton of games even with a weak 4 spot.

8. basketballholic

Duncan/Splitter
    DeAndre/Blake
    Marc/Zach
    Adams/Ibaka
    Dirk/Chandler
    Bogut/Lee
    Asik/Davis
    Hibbert/West
    Noah/Gasol
    Lopez/Garnett
    Big Al/CZeller
    Birdman/Bosh
    Gortat/Nene

Days are over, eh????

Look, to be a championship caliber team, you have to be able to play both power basketball with 2 power bigs or spread the floor with a PF that can shoot the long ball. And ideally you have a 4/5 that can do both, play inside and outside...as is the case with guys like Love, Marc Gasol, and LaMarcus Aldridge.

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

half that list is irrelevent

10. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

That weak 4 spot won us a quite of few games. That spot probably wasn't top 10 but it for sure wasn't at the bottom of the league either. And Jones numbers from last season puts him around the middle of the PF pack.

11. topfive

topfive CF OG

This is maybe the 5th or 6th "Hey let's not forget T-Jones!" thread we've seen since Chris Bosh decided to keep his vagina in South Beach. I should know -- I started one of them. :)

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=256732

Steddinotayto did a great job laying out the case for TJ as potentially blowing up this year. I think we'll see fewer poor moments and more overall solid play. And hey, 2Pat or Marcus never busted out for 30, 33 and 36 points in a game during their first two years. Or EVER, for that matter -- the high game for either of those chumps is 24 points.

My take in the above-mentioned thread, which I still stand by:

#31 topfive, Sep 26, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  12. basketballholic

...and the other half are WC playoff teams. #GiveitUp

13. D-rock

D-rock Member

I can live with TJ's jumper, but what he absolutely needs to improve on is his D. His lack of D mystifies me because he played for Calipari and those Kentucky boys are all about the D.

Perhaps with the new culture emphasizing D will make an impact. Jones is athletic and skilled enough to be a much better defender, the question is his effort and desire.

14. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Well the first six listed will likely be in the Western conference playoffs next year, so that could be a problem for us. And the list didn't even include Aldridge/Robin Lopez, which we just saw was also a bad matchup for us. They'll probably make the playoffs too.

15. 2016Champions

2016Champions Member

I don't get why it is so hard for some players to change their mechanics, I feel like it is just a matter of getting a good shooting coach and putting the practice in.

16. Nook

Nook Member

Jones is a very bad defender.

Jones is in a fantastic system for power forwards.

Jones only shows up half the time.

Jones is a space cadet, guy is Slowmile Swift upstairs.

Typical Jones defensive play...

Parsons:"Switch!!"

Jones: "Huh?"

~layup~

Lin and Parsons stare at each other after both may completely unnecessary switches. Dwight Howard looks at the bench perplexed. Snaggle tooth Harden is scoring a layup on the other end and Jones is still looking for where his defensive assignment went.

He is limited.

17. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

Well thought out post OP

Cringe worthy stood out to me most and comparing all previous PFs second year is an interesting picture to paint but... Fit is the big factor....

A big positive tho is TJ being 22 years old and development will happen but at what rate? We have to look at coaching primarily for that and that doesn't make me confident..

18. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Didn't Jones progress a lot from his rookie campaign? Yes he has a ways to go defensively but he improved from his rookie season where he was lost out there. Even though he isn't good at shooting the three ball, around the rim dude money.

This season Jones will have a better season than last season.

19. eman

eman Contributing Member

You can't teach snap, or attentiveness, so I doubt Haren or Jones will improve much defensively. If TJ can become a knock-down three-ball threat-- now, that would be nice; we could simply outscore everyone. Except for the Spurs, of course.

20. CertifiedTroll

Maybe Jones is secretly smart. Parson's defensive switches haven't always turned out to well. :3