1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who’s to blame for the white car killing BLM protesters?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by ROXRAN, Jul 5, 2020.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

https://heavy.com/news/2020/07/dawit-kelete/

2. tinman

Supporting Member

Seattle has a big street racing scene

Street Racing is ILLEGAL and is DONE AT NIGHT.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  3. tinman

Supporting Member

Yes

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  4. tinman

Supporting Member

If this guy truly wanted to kill people, he would have used a gun.
    So i'm thinking he's not trying to purposely kill anyone. Didn't seem like a guy who's down on his luck and hating the world, while driving a 50K Jaguar.

Vehicular homicide is a GTA video game mission, not real life logical choice by someone who wants to commit homicide against a group of people.

5. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

6. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

7. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I can agree that having a dance party in a freeway at 1Am isn’t a good idea and I think the blocking the freeway thing is starting to get pretty overused as a protest tactic. For example last week a group of Ethiopians blocked a freeway in St Paul to protest the killing of an influential singer in Ethiopia..

For this case though the driver is squarely to blame. He drove past barricades and parked cars to get where the protesters were and he sped off after hitting them. This wasn’t a mistake by a confused driver like on the 35W bridge this took action and thought to drive around not one but two barriers and then to drive away.

Whether people agree with the protest or not we can’t have people deliberately driving around barriers, endangering themselves and others. Whether the driver had any political motive or not still doesn’t excuse that he acted with reckless disregard for others and his own safety.

Nook, jiggyfly, tinman and 2 others like this.
  8. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

peaceful BLM protesters vs murderer

very hard choice for Mr. Knot

KingCheetah likes this.
  9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I can knot believe this.

vlaurelio likes this.
  10. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It amazes me the stupidity of someone to first drive around a barrier to gain access to a freeway that is clearly closed, and then when they see cars obstructing the lanes to drive around those cars AT SPEED.

The guy wasn't just reckless, but incredibly stupid.

11. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

another female protester killed by a car. visions of Charlottesville. hopefully this monster gets the same number life in prison result.

12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think this will be a manslaughter case vs a murder case, so no, he won't likely get the same number of years.

13. tinman

Supporting Member

This is what his lawyer said.
    Seriously doubt they can find a political motive.
    Pretty sure they can find traffic violations and vehicular manslaughter.

he probably didn’t care about the road being blocked , obviously not blocked well. And he wanted to go on a thrill ride in his Jaguar XJL. Didn’t expect to see protestors or police at 130am on a blocked road.
    Blocked road means no cars after the blockage so he probably wanted to go thrill riding.

https://www.denverpost.com/2020/07/06/dawit-kelete-bail-driving-into-seattle-protesters/
    Kelete’s lawyer, John Henry Browne, said the crash was a “horrible, horrible accident” and was not intentional.

“There’s absolutely nothing political about this case whatsoever,” Browne told The Associated Press. “My client is in tears. He’s very remorseful. He feels tremendous guilt.”

Kelete is originally from Eritrea and is a U.S. citizen, Browne said. He lives with his family in Seattle, and they’re very religious, he said.

Kelete was the owner of the Jaguar XJL and was alone in the car, according to a Washington State Patrol report submitted to the court late Saturday.

#33 tinman, Jul 7, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
  14. vlaurelio

and we thought the protesters were stupid

15. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I remember when they opened Beltway 8. I was probably around 13. Huey Lewis and the News held a free concert on the freeway a little west of I-45. Because I was young, I was able to worm my way through the crowd to the front, but it was packed.

That's it. Just wanted to share that anecdote.

Os Trigonum, Astrodome and vlaurelio like this.
  16. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

I find little sympathy for the driver regardless of intent. I'm used to 6th street being blockaded off on weekends so patrons have an easier time bar hopping downtown. That means the I-35 Exits that connect 5th thru 7th street are blocked off from entering, meaning if I had intent to still drive through 6th street, I'd have to be a creative moron to not take the hint that the roads are cut off for reasons.

I'm also not for protesters on freeways though. Wasn't that long ago that someone on I-35 was throwing rocks at drivers off a freeway bridge that resulted in multiple injuries and potential fatalities.

https://www.statesman.com/news/2017...r-patrick-johnson-pleads-guilty-gets-40-years

It would be nice to minimize the risk of everyone involved when at all possible.

17. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

That's the power of love.

JuanValdez likes this.
  18. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Her life mattered. Not a good weekend for the race baiters that claim that only wypipo run over protesters and commit mass shootings. We have a violence problem. Defunding the police is not the answer.

19. vlaurelio

yep bad weekend for the race baiting OP

20. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

He stopped 1/4 down the road after the collision presumably to call authorities. He only sped off after the protesters attacked his vehicle, understandably fearful for his life. He did stop again a little further away. He does seem remorseful and it sounds like an unfortunate accident. The vans blocking the road obscured his vision from seeing the protesters.

Not sure how he got on the highway. Authorities think he drove around a barrier or up an exit ramp, but they also thought the same of that trucker in Minneapolis.