1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Whitney Mercilus; 4yr Contract Extension.

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Ericstocracy, May 4, 2015.

1. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

I like it. Love to keep the core together.

2. Dash

Dash Member

Not too crazy about this extension either and this pretty much sums up why

3. conquistador#11

I don't what the fascination with sacks is, as long as the hurries are there. You don't lead the league in Ints without bringing the rukus**. The whole "well they're next to watt" duh! That is always the case with great defenses. I've gone back to romeo's adventures in New England and there was only one year where 2 players had almost 10 sacks each, bruschi 9/seymour 8.

further along, when a holy phenom records almost 20 sacks, from 1980-2014, no one else on the team gets more than seven sacks, the only exception being LT's Giants in 1986, in which leonard marshall went for 12.

We have to remember that for every time our holy phenom gets the green light to go, everyone on the D has to remain disciplined and contain edge. Either Romeo saw this or everyone on this team is on crack.

**watt 32 hurries
    ** Reed 10 hurries (more than longhair clay with more assignments to seal edge and cover)
    ** Merciless 9 hurries (still more than clay)
    ** Jared crick 7 hurries
    (as an entire unit they bring it as much as Buffalo, Miami, Denver and seattle)

Another year under romeo and the addition of willfork , will raise those numbers even more.

4. Remii

Remii Member

Lol... I know Reed is the king of showing up to a play two steps too late and jumping on the pile but the market is the market and one man's trash... You know the rest.

The way Merci played last year he's worth every penny of that contract and if he improves on his play (which I think he will) then the Texans have him for cheap.

5. Buck Turgidson

Until they made a few significantly boneheaded moves that backfire, I'll just have to trust that BOB and Romeo know what they're doing. I'm pretty impressed so far. It's nice that all 3 pro teams in town seem to have highly competent management in place.