1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Whitney Houston is...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Another Brother, Sep 15, 2004.

Tags:
  1. droxford

droxford Member

Precisely. I'm not right. And I'm not wrong. Just different.

-- droxford

2. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Well, put and I do disagree with you about her but I'm sure there are some singers/musicians/bands that you enjoy or would even say great but I wouldn't.

3. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

wrong, that was intentional. he does not understand my argument or he cares not to acknowledge it, plain and simple.

4. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

I could be wrong here but wouldn't...

...fall into the lyrics catagory?

There are lyrics and there is the interpretation of those lyrics. The statements about the human whatever are within the L*Y*R*I*C*S.

BTW If somebody started the "Jerry Jeff Walker is..." thread and I didn't like him, I would choose not to post instead of spewing hate all over the thread.

Just me.

5. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

STATEMENT Definition:
    _
    [n] _a document showing credits and debits

[n] _(computer science) a line of code written as part of a computer program

[n] _a fact or assertion offered as evidence that something is true; "it was a strong argument that his hypothesis was true"

[n] _a message that is stated or declared; a communication (oral or written) setting forth particulars or facts etc; "according to his statement he was in London on that day"

[n] _a nonverbal message; "a Cadillac makes a statement about who you are"; "his tantrums are a statement of his need for attention"

[n] _(music) the presentation of a musical theme; "the initial statement of the sonata"

[n] _the act of affirming or asserting or stating something

AB, and how am i spewing hate?

6. droxford

droxford Member

I think he was referring to me calling Whitney garbage and a crack-head.

-- droxford

7. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I don't get "not writing your own songs" as a reason not to respect someone's musical talent. Ella and Billy never wrote their own songs, and i would say they much rather pay to here them sing than Bob Dillon.

8. MoBalls

MoBalls Contributing Member

You guys are going back and forth, back and forth, its like Whitney and Bobby sharing a joint in here. You either like her music, voice, lyrics or whatever or you dont. Now will someone get me a forty!

9. Another Brother

I was.

The first step is acknowledging that you have a problem. I applaud you, and hope that you are better soon.

10. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Im not a big fan of R&B/pop, as much of you know, but even I can acknowledge the talent and ability of someone like Whitney....

she may not write her own songs(how many other famous singers does this apply to these days)...but Ill give her this much...she has one helluva voice..and is fairly pretty(or used to be anyway)...I really see no reason to hate her....now the Backstreet Punks and Nshnyc and crap groups like that on the other hand....;)

but as it goes....there is no accounting for musical tastes....

11. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Ha! You wish. Too late for that cop-out now. You're f'n crazy is what you are. :p

Seriously though, I'd like you to answer these two questions for me drox. I'm curious to know,

1) What does it mean to "R&B" something?

and 2) What didn't you like so much about Whitney's anthem?

----

(Also, my fav Whitney song? "Same Script, Different Cast" w/ Deborah Cox)

12. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Contributing Member

Ask any modern R&B singer what they think of Whitney Houston. I think that would be the truest assessment, and we all know what they would say regardless of some the baseless opinions in this thread. And also, not to get personal, but I have also never understood those of you that choose to sign your name after a post. I mean, its right there in the left-hand margin. Its not a big deal, just strange ettiquette (sp?).

B-ball freak :D

13. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

... bat **** crazy.

14. droxford

droxford Member

I sign my sig after each message because it better fits a vertical complementart device on the page. In other words, as people read the thread (usually up and down) my sig is more readily visible. The reason I type it out, instead of putting in an automated signature, is because I like for it to immediately follow my text without a horizontal rule.

To R&B something is to take an existing melody and alter it by moving up and down the musical scale during performance. I dislike this singing method because I enjoy and appreciate the melody itself, not the exaggeration of it through R&B'ing. A better performance occurs when a singer is able to project emotion in the performance while altering the melody as little as possible. THAT is a better indication of singing talent.

Ya know, if you would have given this thread a decent title and opening post, I wouldn't have piped in. But you started it off like Whitney Houston was gonna lead the slaves into the promised land. Next time, just build a thread with amore descriptive title - I usually leave threads like that alone.

-- droxford

15. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

This is a stupid post. Whitney Houston is a great singer. Nobody cares if whether you think so or not because everyone else accepts as fact. Period. As for calling their kids potential kids crack heads, you need to get a life. That post was just sick and pathetic. If you only new the number of entertainers you like who are on drugs or are alchoholics.

16. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

R&B is a type of music just like any other type of music. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's not a true type of music. You over yourself.

17. Xenon

Xenon Contributing Member

You know I for one am also tired of stupid kids that infest boards like these. They throw out their opinions and sign their posts like they think they are somehow more important than everyone elses here. I would never buy a Whitney Houston CD, but I know talent when I hear one and that woman does have a hell of a voice. As for the morons and bigots in the crowd, they are everywhere on the internet and its impossible to avoid them. All you can really do is ignore them.

18. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

Since when has being a songwriter been a prerequisite for being a great singer? Does Luciano Pavaroti write all of his own songs? No. But I don't think that anyone would argue that he isn't one of the best singers in the world.

19. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

to be fair....thats what message boards are for. For everyone to give their opinion about stuff.

Some are gonna say stupid stuff...ssome are gonna say smart stuff...which way you judge the posts are dependant on your own biases and opinions.....it doesnt make anyone's opinion any less valid.

admittedly....some are gonna say stupid ****(like the crack babies statement), but once again.....sometimes you have to take the good with the bad.

If I was the type to give my opinion on every subject...Im sure alot of you would think my posts were stupid....but I choose to not comment on subjects that dont interest me....

I think some others could benefit from that guideline...but that is just my opinion.

btw....to some degree I do agree with the "R&Bing" of songs that alot of wannabe singers do these days...it seems to me that they are just apeing the famous singers that use that style when redoing older songs.......done corretly and judiciously...it isnt a bad thing, but some seem to go overboard with it....mainly to cover up their inability to hold a freaking tune.

20. Another Brother

Why am I not surprised that you managed to work "slavery" into this? R & B'ing reeks of racial insensitivity, I'm gonna be watching you from now on --d. You have really made that name for yourself that you have been so desparately seeking, too bad it reflects the asscrack of society.