1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Whitney Houston is...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Another Brother, Sep 15, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

droxford--clean the wax out of your ears.

Whitney may have spent quite a bit of time messed up, but God gave her the voice of angels. Not to take anything away from Dolly--but Whitney gave me chills every time I heard her sing that song. That woman has soul--something Mariah Carey never had.

2. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I'm not a big Whitney fan, but she has a hell of a lot more hits than the Dolly Parton song. She dominated the Bill Board charts in the eighties and if you think that was her only hit you must have been in a coma.

Anyone ever seen that MAAD TV skit that was a parady of Cribs. Cribs goes to Bobby and Whitney's home and its a crack house. Bobby says "let's go to see the studio" and its a Fisher Price music set. Very Funny.

3. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

if you could program a machine that would sing "like an angel" according to the median opinions of everyone who thought about what an angel sounds like, you would get the voice of whitney houston. excuse me while i vomit.

4. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

I used to have breakfast with Whitney every morning.

(actually, i had breakfast in front of MTV, and as pgab mentioned...she ruled the rotation back in the day :)) Good to see she's ok.

5. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

What is this "rotation" that you speak of. Is it sometime between Real World, Road Rules, Cribs, Jackass, Newlyweds, and Punk'd?

6. droxford

droxford Member

Angels would sing more beautifully than any human can comprehend, and certainly NOT sound like either Whitney Houston or Dolly Parton. So, let's not make that comparison, shall we?

Whitney Houston is garbage. She had four big hits (the Greatest Love Of All, I will always love you, So Emotional, I Wanna Dance With Somebody), none of which were written by her. In fact, of her albums (Whitney Houston, Whitney, I'm Your Baby Tonight, The Bodyguard sndtrk, Waiting To Exhale sndtrk, and The Preacher's Wife), and approximately 16 other recordings she made... so in a total of seventy two songs, she WROTE exactly zero of them, and co-wrote one song (Takin A Chance, co-written with Benjamin Wunans and Keith Thomas)

And, even if you want to give her credit as a singer, not a songwriter or musician (which she obviously is not)...

The only thing I could say positive about her was that she could carry a tune. Her choice to R&B all the songs she sings adds nothing to the music - it only detracts from it. So, yes, she can carry a tune - and that's it. So can a helluva lot of other people. The various illegal activities that she and her husband are guilty of greatly eclipse the fact that she can carry a tune.

-- droxford

7. MoBalls

MoBalls Contributing Member

Was the King of R&B (Ribs & BarBQue) with her? I hope she is doing better now because crack is whack!

8. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

so...um..drox:

what do you think of the back street boys???

[/running for cover]

9. droxford

droxford Member

<droxford spews milk out of his nose in laughter!>

LOL - not much different than Whitney, actuall.

-- droxford

10. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

You are serious aren't you. Wow who then is a great singer?

If you are not a musician (which you obviously are not) you cannot appreciate the control Whitney has with her voice. Although she is older now, the dexterity and clarity of her scales are still second to none.

Did you ever hear her sing the National Anthem before Super Bowl? If that didn't give you chills, you are either deaf or a communist. Hear me now? Good!

I don't know what you are an authority in D, but you try really hard around here to stand out, now you're just being mean, and I wonder what roots that kind of hate.

"R&B'ed it to a repulsive level"

All the signs are there Buddy, you need help.

11. Sane

Sane Member

Well, she's never won for her writing, she won for her singing, which is excellent.

12. MoBalls

MoBalls Contributing Member

I actually thought that she could sing back in the day. Yes the Star Spangled Banner was beautiful. But after Bobby all of her drive and maybe some talent went to the trash. I saw her on another show (???) not so long ago and she sounded bad. She claims that she didnt do crack, but we all know whats up........noone could prove it without a reciept though .:confused:

13. droxford

droxford Member

I will not fall into this trap. This thread is to discuss Whitney Houston. No matter who I mention here, that person would be ripped to shreads in a "who's better" contest. Nu-uh. Nice try.

AH YES! Here come the accusations again! I just don't understand why you keep going there. It really shows your insecurities in yourself.

--

And Whitney Houston has never given me chills. I heard her sing the national anthem. Felt that it was one of the worst renditions I'd ever heard in my life, and hope that I never hear it again.

I'm opinionated. That's all. And you should remember that opinions are like a**holes: everyone has one, and they usually stink.

-- droxford

14. thegary

it's a matter of taste. whitney is so bland that her crack habit is the only thing interesting about her. i'm not interested in her technical virtuosity and i don't need to be a musician to hear an obvious lack of artistic vision. janis joplin, as a comparison, could sing other people's songs and turn them into personal yet enigmatic statements about the human condition. whitney is norman rockwell to janis' jackson pollack. it's a matter of taste.

15. Another Brother

Wouldn't that be the writer creating the statements about the human condition?

You mention Whitney on crack then use Janis Joplin as an example?

If you are going to discredit yourself, then why even argue?

16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

The Three Tenors aren't musicians, they're just singers.

17. Another Brother

You sign your name at the end of every post, and you call me insecure?:rolleyes:

Nice ******* analogy, I'll bet there's plenty more where that came from.

18. thegary

it's called musical interpretation, aren't you a musician?

19. droxford

droxford Member

uhh... why does this make me insecure? Quite the opposite: I have no problem with putting my name on my words. Nice try (again).

thegary is right: it's a matter of taste (though he unfortunately fell into AnotherBrother's trap of "who's better").

-- droxford

20. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Yeah AB, just let them be. I couldn't stand when people tried to change my opinion on the Gagne save record but they kept trying and were unsuccessful. It's just his opinion, doesn't make it right though.